1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sold my Truck for more than I originally bought it for!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tyler_G13, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Jan 4, 2011 at 1:52 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Thats pretty insane for a 4x2

2. Jan 4, 2011 at 3:45 AM
    grivera

grivera Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC SR5 4x4, Desert Sand Mica
    Rear Suspension TSB, Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners-fronts set at 1.75". BFG A/T's @ 265/75/16; Access LE Roll-up cover; Iron Cross Tube SS Steps; Fumoto valve; WeatherTech Liners; AFE Pro-Dry; front side windows tinted 20%; TW Decal!
    I'd never make that trade myself, but to remain objective, I've seen folks on here post that they've paid that much for a Pre-Runner (4x2)...

3. Jan 4, 2011 at 10:31 AM
    Jefenator

Jefenator Taco Truck Noob

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 2WD Reg Cab Stick Shift
    I just assumed KBB was FOS until I read this thread title. ;)

I'd be tempted to turn my '10 in for a quick buck. Except we're starting to bond...

4. Feb 7, 2011 at 2:15 PM
    mattygabe

mattygabe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab SR5
    Access Limited Soft Rollup Tonneau Cover
    GM at least spends time on designing this truck and making meaningful modifications to the Silverados year in and year out because of the competition in the full-size market (one market that Toyota still hasn't figured out). Not saying they're absolutely perfect, and they still have their quality issues, but they're getting better. Read somewhere that GM's possible strategy is no longer to match Japanese quality, but attack it similar to the Korean car makers... Go as far as you can quality-wise, and then discount the shit out of the product to price it lower than others.

And, don't compare full-sizes to the midsizes... Not a valid comparison. The Colorados and Canyons are the GM offering in the Taco's class, and GM treats them like after thoughts, almost as if someone's holding a gun to their head to make an offering in the midsize class.

Anyways, congratulations on the purchase, I hope you enjoy it. Had a friend purchase a Silverado with a ton of options about a year ago, and he's extremely happy with it. A pretty picky truck person, too.

5. Feb 24, 2011 at 6:39 AM
    Tyler_G13

Tyler_G13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Texas edition
    Custom Black Leather Borla Exhaust system fold-away bed cover 20" Tx Edition chrome rims Alpin INA-W900 double-din touch screen chrome running bars 35% tinit front/16% tint back python alarm system 1 13TW5 JL audio subwoofer custom ported subwoofer box powered by JL Audio HD750 amp Lots of Hush Mat on back wall
    No its not that bad since it has alot of extras: Texas editon pkg which includes upgraded suspention (Z85 suspension), and it has the convenience pkg which inclueds the back up camera and sensors, and extra traction control, and it also has the 6 speed tran, HD trailer pkg, and a few others.

6. Feb 24, 2011 at 6:54 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Hope he enjoys it to. Most people do enjoy them for a few years, then at about 60k miles they start falling apart and the repair costs and time in the shop gets out of control.

7. Feb 24, 2011 at 6:58 AM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    I see Fords and Chevys broken down on the side of the interstate daily and most of them are 10 year old vehicles or less!

8. Feb 24, 2011 at 7:05 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    Still amazes me that people are so reluctant to compare Tacoma to full size trucks. Countless people come on here talking about how its such a huge upgrade going from their Silverado, Ram, or F-150 to the Tacoma, but when it's the other way around, it's "totally unfair, bro". When I'm shopping for something, I look at what I can get for my money. If I can get a full size for almost the same price as a Tacoma, sorry, they're comparables.

OP, good luck with your new truck. I'm not a huge GM guy personally, but I do think the quality has improved and it should last you a long time if you take care of it. I do agree that you won't get the same resale benefits that you just saw.

9. Feb 24, 2011 at 7:34 AM
    tacosrule

tacosrule Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner TRD Sport
    OEM Roof Rack, Aries Nerf Bars...... hopefully more to come!
    Which will be the day after the warranty runs out

10. Feb 24, 2011 at 7:41 AM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    nice looking truck.

11. Feb 24, 2011 at 7:49 AM
    cc350

cc350 Retired Member

Member:
    Congrats to the OP, it's your money, spend it how you want!

12. Feb 24, 2011 at 7:56 AM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
    I really don't understand why someone would come here and say they sold their truck for another brand. Kinda dumb IMO.

13. Feb 24, 2011 at 4:44 PM
    mattygabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab SR5
    If you have little or no needs to fill and are just purchasing a new vehicle, sure price is one of your options. But when you have specific needs to fulfill, whether it be towing needs, gas mileage, people moving, or a specific mix of two or more of those, price is certainly a consideration, but it narrows down what segments you look at.

So, since there's a Kia Forte on the lot down the road for $13,900 then I should've compared it to the Tacoma, right? I mean, that's what I can get for $30,000 or less if we're talking price.

Compare a full size and a Tacoma with the same options and then let me know if the prices are comparable. You compare a Tacoma with a Colorado with similar options, they will be incredibly close. You compare a Tacoma with a Silverado with similar options, there's going to be at LEAST a $5k gap there.

14. Feb 24, 2011 at 5:49 PM
    TacoSport

TacoSport opinions are like assholes; everyones got one.

Member:
    NE
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SSM Sport DCSB w/Tow
    IMHO GM messed up bad with that chiseled look, looks like a Nissan. Ford Lariat looks nice though

15. Apr 4, 2011 at 5:35 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    Cool story bro

16. Apr 4, 2011 at 6:18 PM
    Dustyroades

Dustyroades Well-Known Member

Member:
    London, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport
    You obviously haven't priced out a Colorado... or a Silverado for that matter. The price gap between Toyota and North American midsize is substantial especially when you consider how heavily GM discounts off MSRP ($8000 off is a standard starting point).

17. Apr 4, 2011 at 6:21 PM
    NumNutz

NumNutz One of the original 7928

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 - Kings, TC, Dakars, broken stuff
    Lots.
    Those are the ugliest stock wheels I have ever seen. Other than that, goodluck with the truck

18. Apr 4, 2011 at 6:23 PM
    mattygabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab SR5
    If that's the case then let's be completely honest and factor in the amount of additional maintenance those trucks would require, and I'd bet you that would just about zero out those rebates.

19. Apr 4, 2011 at 6:57 PM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Then, everyone goes crazy, and its not even an apples to apples comparision. Why does everyone want to compare a Tacoma with a 1/2 ton or bigger truck? My DD has been a truck all my life, (I am 49 now) and I have driven many trucks. This truck follows a 3/4 ton Diesel Excursion Limited, 4x4, etc. Totally different animals. The Tacoma is a sports car compared to the Excursion Bus. But the Kids are out of the house now, and I only have a 16 ft fishing skiff. No more 26 ft Travel Trailer, road trips with the kids, etc. The Tacoma is all I need now. I almost bought a new Tundra, but why, just because? I do not need it. And I will get at least 7 miles per gallon better with the Tacoma. And I am sure alot less maintenance, and no potential issues compared to the current Tundra and its current history. I love my Tacoma...

20. Apr 4, 2011 at 7:00 PM
    jking3002

jking3002 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Scion tC
    Ricer muffler, window tent, trd shift knob.
    OP, I think some people bring up valid points with questions of dependability. Really though, it seems like you don't keep vehicles for really long periods of time, so those issues may not matter as much. For what it's worth, my dad's old Chevy Lumina is still cruising with about 297,000 miles on it.

I also think a lot of people are jealous that you got so much on your trade (including me).

Personally, not a fan of those rims or the look of that edition symbol above the badge on the door... If you like it though, who cares?

Products Discussed in

To Top