1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Solid Axle Swap BS Thread

Discussion in 'Solid Axle Suspension' started by Supra TT, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Nov 29, 2022 at 10:08 AM
    Bloodytaco208

Bloodytaco208 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Twisted steel sex appeal reg cab tacoma
    Bunch of built and bought mods
    I run the psc. Its a great pump the tc model. I could get you a part number. It bolted right up to my 2.7 2tr-fe, we had to do something minor cant remember exactly what. Ive ran that bitch out of fluid more times then i could count lol jk, due to shitting gear boxes.resolved the issue and it still works great. Psc reservoir definitely. I went through two prior and they were shit trying to save a little coin. Broke down and had one overnighted to moab in may havent looked back.

FB_IMG_1669573650106.jpg

2. Nov 29, 2022 at 10:13 AM
    Bloodytaco208

Member:
    Vehicle:
    You are overthinking it. If its too much work we understand. But 95k is not a bargain price. For a turnkey rig, yeah theyre impressive. Ive competed against a couple, 2 of them i couldnt hold a candle to, the third one i spanked in a couple of the events due to the driver sucking. That build would be a lot cheaper then u think if you resource. To start just link the front spring the back. A bunch of other things can be done to save money but this bitch be the size of a novel. P.s.- how much for the frame and body/ tires?

3. Nov 29, 2022 at 10:52 AM
    Dayman Karate

Dayman Karate Fighter of the night man, champion of the sun

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Mostly reg ass vehicles for once
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/daymans-karate-class-but-you-wont-learn-nothin-4-link-lt-and-previous-iterations.755134/
    I’m keeping my options open. It’s a big chunk of change and it won’t be a decision made lightly. The one tons and wheels/tires are accounted for, I’ll send a PM about the rest

4. Nov 29, 2022 at 11:00 AM
    Bloodytaco208

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Fuck ur half way done. I looked at ur add, im in idaho so that would be a haul but a good deal. Shit you're almost done. You should finish it.

Dayman Karate[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Nov 29, 2022 at 11:29 AM
    Dayman Karate

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/daymans-karate-class-but-you-wont-learn-nothin-4-link-lt-and-previous-iterations.755134/
    I know what will happen next. One tons and 42’s were the plan, four link front, full hydro. That will leave me needing a cage for sure. Heavy big tired bitch leads to LS/tranny or crawl box etc. at that point I’m more than halfway to a bouncer and nowhere near the safety, performance or footprint. Not to mention the year or two of weekends away from my family slaving in a garage reinventing the wheel and meeting resistance every step of the way only to be left with a truck that if it rolled once it would be practically destroyed.

If I thought I’d be content making it a crawler I’d three link it and keep it roadworthy. That may happen if I can’t get what I want out of it.

Justinogo, slander and tacoma16 like this.
  6. Nov 29, 2022 at 12:49 PM
    Bloodytaco208

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I mean im rolling on tons with 42s and crawlboxes. Dont want an ls they just break shit. Ive rolled over once and layed her on her side twice. Shes not sema quality but doors open and glass is good. Heater works like a champ the first phote was last week. The second photo with the shiny side down was in may. Im going to do a full exo cage but for right now i just haave a dom hoop over my b pillars and that protects the shit out of it

FB_IMG_1669572758705.jpg
    FB_IMG_1669754741265.jpg
    IMG_1429.jpg
    IMG_1428.jpg

7. Nov 29, 2022 at 1:05 PM
    Dayman Karate

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    That’s rad. It might be an easier decision for me to finish it if it wasn’t a double cab. Yours looks like a good wheelbase for 42’s. I was going to be at around 138”.

I change my mind like I change my socks, but I know I don’t want to invest any more effort or money into the Tacoma right now. It makes my wee wee tingle thinking about firing up a bouncer and going balls to the wall. I grew up riding mx, bmx etc and I miss the adrenaline but not the physical exertion haha

8. Nov 29, 2022 at 4:07 PM
    Bloodytaco208

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Im at 122 wheelbase. She does pretty good, youll be happy if you finished, but thats my pride talking. Whatever happens good luck:bananadance:

9. Nov 29, 2022 at 5:27 PM
    malburg114

malburg114 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    What’s a turn key bouncer cost from busted knuckle? Your going from one extreme to the other it seems. Not my money and I don’t really care but i would think 3link your double cab with duals and go have fun and build it up slowly like the rest of us.

maybe it’s cause I do all my own work and can’t afford a turn key bouncer but just doesn’t make sense

slander and sparkystaco like this.
  10. Nov 29, 2022 at 5:37 PM
    02hilux

02hilux Paved roads not required

Member:
    Planet: EARTH
    Not much... Just cost 2 kidney, 1 lung, and 10 visit to the donation clinic :rofl:

11. Nov 29, 2022 at 5:53 PM
    Dayman Karate

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    They start at $90k. It spells everything out online essentially. It was appealing at first to try to keep some creature comforts of the taco, but the trade offs are too much. If I finished the truck as intended I still wouldn’t want it.

There’s a tremendous amount of accomplishment in doing your own work and I have felt that pushing myself with what I’ve done thus far. It’s hardly anything compared to what others have done, but I never thought I’d be doing what I’m doing now. However, the constant building and contemplation has become a distraction in my life, not a fun stress relieving past time. I want to load up a safe, functional vehicle, wheel the dog shit out of it and park it until next time.

slander likes this.
  12. Nov 29, 2022 at 7:58 PM
    02hilux

02hilux Paved roads not required

Member:
    Planet: EARTH
    At a base price of 90k, I opt for 1/4 of a house instead..

13. Nov 29, 2022 at 8:19 PM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    The stuff he wants to play on would be suicide in a full bodied truck.

sparkystaco and Dayman Karate like this.
  14. Nov 29, 2022 at 8:20 PM
    Dayman Karate

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    To each their own. I would imagine if folks with full built rigs did an honest accounting of the costs associated with building what they currently have and every previous iteration of the build- including time and tools- they would be shocked at how close or far past that figure they are. That’s not to say it is a mistake to build as the journey certainly is part of the enjoyment for most, but it begs the question why not skip to the front of the line?

15. Nov 29, 2022 at 8:29 PM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    Adjusted for 1st gen price inflation I am at -$12k for my build over 17yrs.

jubei, sparkystaco and Dayman Karate like this.
  16. Nov 29, 2022 at 8:31 PM
    Dayman Karate

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    I said full built rigs because I knew you’d have a smart ass response to that :rofl:

slander[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Nov 29, 2022 at 8:33 PM
    Dayman Karate

Member:
    First Name:
    Clay
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Exactly. You know the parks down here.

slander[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Nov 30, 2022 at 1:56 PM
    J88logue

J88logue NorthWest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    HWY 30
    Vehicle:
    02 D.C. TRD
    Clicko BUILDo
    Can someone help me out with ideal spring rates for 3 link 1st gens. I've got 14" 150/ 16" 300 on 14" 2.5 coilovers and 4.5" of pre load. Accutune seems to be confused as to why theres so much pre load when my truck shouldn't require that much.

19. Nov 30, 2022 at 3:56 PM
    malburg114

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    But can he actually wheel said trails? Having a rig capable to do it vs actually being able to do it are two different things. I have buddies who go to Johnson valley or sand hollow and come back with huge body damage and broken parts and I wheel the same trails with them with no damage or broken parts. It’s not my money so I don’t care. Just here for the shit show

sparkystaco likes this.
  20. Nov 30, 2022 at 3:58 PM
    malburg114

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma TRD
    Not everyone can fork that kind of money over at once. I’m sure if you count my tools and parts I’m still pretty far off of that 90k price tag but I also buy a lot of used tools and parts and use the tools for other things to offset the cost. I would imagine my lastest version of my truck cost around 30k all said and done in just parts.

sparkystaco likes this.
To Top