1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Solved for me: Small hum / vibration under acceleration at 1500 RPM ish

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by jamiemm18, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Nov 25, 2017 at 12:01 PM
    jamiemm18

jamiemm18 [OP] Member

Member:
    Hi, This hum is fixed / gone with the help of taco Camaro 11.5 up in this thread (#10). https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/rattling-noise-on-acceleration.169173/. I'll try to be brief because I'm not good at that and because I spent hours reading 10-11 page threads on this and was exhausted. My truck is a 12 Tacoma extended cab, automatic, 4cyl, 4x4 with 130K. It started making a small hum / vibration / rattle out of nowhere recently. It happens between 1500-1600 rpm and sounds like it is under the floor of the cab somewhere. It only happens when the truck is in gear, not in neutral and it happen a little more when cold. It doesn't sound like its hurting anything, just super annoying and distracting. I jammed towels in the heat shields under the truck to stop any vibration due to shaking and that did not work. I couldn't get the hum to stay humming because the truck shifts or the idle raises and drops so I put it in gear, held the brake on and brought the rpms up to 1600 RPM and man did that thing hum steady like a rock band. At that point it was easy. Got my son to look under the truck and see what was humming. It was the catalytic converted. The heat shield looks great and so does the converted but I jammed two screw drivers between the heat shield and the converted to stop any vibration and it worked great. Obviously this was just a test. I pulled out the screw drivers and the sound was back. It's just what the gentleman above said about the rusty rivets in the converted heat shield. I don't know how to punch the rivets out and its a Saturday so I didn't want to risk breaking anything. Like the other individual above mentioned, I got big hose clamps and just wrapped them around the brackets that have the rivets in them. I literally just put the hose clamps on top of them and then tightened them down. Worked like a charm. If the truck was younger, I'd get a new heat shield or something but its not important to me. Even if these hose clamps only last 1-2 years, that may be it for me for the truck.... Or I'll just spend $4- more dollars on it and do it again. I took pictures before and after, pictures with the screw drivers jammed in, pics with the clamps on... and videos of it quiet and of the hum in full force. My truck has lots of different hums and vibrations so this may not be the one you have. For example, when I'm doing 65-70, there is a whistle that comes from underneath, the drive shaft somewhere. It sounds like wind blowing through underneath and creating a small hum / whistle and to tell you the truth, I actually like it. It sounds like a little truck trying to sound like a bigger truck. Anyway, the report above is from a small hum, vibration in gear at 1500'ish rpm that doesn't stay long but happens every time that RPM is hit and happens more pronounced when it is cold. I bet that's because the engine is producing more power from the cold air or choke on. I did check the glove box suggestion and there were no noises there and I also checked the air intake under the hood and that was not it either. If you want pics or videos of anything, let me know. Thanks.

Broncos 30 likes this.
  2. Jun 20, 2021 at 4:20 PM
    Broncos 30

Broncos 30 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma
    Na
    I have a vibration sound at 1500 RPMs goes away if I exceed 1500 and if I go below 1500 any help on that and can I see the pictures

3. Dec 30, 2022 at 8:07 AM
    KaiLemay85

KaiLemay85 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kai
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DC TRD Off Road
    Totally Stock!
    I'd be interested in pictures

Products Discussed in

To Top