1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Some questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by thenomad, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Nov 17, 2010 at 8:34 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Off Road TRD is awesome.. and try it before you sink extra money into add ons.

Not just the rear locker, but the A-TRAC is the big deal (since the '09 model) for trail climbing and river forging and extracting yourself out of a stuck (if you ever get into one because the A-TRAC wasn't on)!

A-TRAC simulates the traction one gets from front and rear lockers, but does not interfere with steering control (which is why there is a warning about using the rear locker for emergencies only, and not more than 5 mph)... see the thread in my signature.

The Off Road 4WD TRD has 9 drive modes, so you have a world of options that the other Tacomas do not. You can choose to have traction control or not, and in 2WD you can have light or strong limited slip as well as none.

Enjoy your future Tacoma... I am on #3 (all 4WD Off Roads) and this one (2010) is the best so far!

2. Nov 17, 2010 at 6:44 PM
    thenomad

thenomad [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Way
    Kennebunkport, ME
    So I went in the dealership today because I wanted to introduce myself and get on a personal level. The sales guy was real nice but like I imagined, not helpful. I asked him if the trd sport had rear locker and he said yes but you guys said only the offroad trd does and I looked up on the toyota site and didn't see the locker listed on the trd sport. He was telling me it does though.... thats why I hate going to dealers because the salesman are never knowledgeable (atleast everytime i've been).

I got to look at 2010 and 2011 and the only difference I could really tell was the bed material (felt different) and the skid plates on the 2011 were black. He told me what sticker price was (31k) but said "we can do better than that as well as give a military discount" which was cool. So hopefully within a few months I'll own a 2011 off road.

Thanks for all the info guys. Much appreciated.

3. Nov 17, 2010 at 7:01 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Sounds like your on your way to finding the truck you want.
    Yeah you will probably find out you will know more about the truck you are buying than the person selling it lol
    Best of luck with whatever one you end up with Sport or Off Road..they are both nice trucks.
    As far as price...you can certainly do better than the sticker minus the military discount...there are some good threads on finding out what others in your area are paying.

4. Nov 17, 2010 at 10:55 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    This is easy... first go to the Off Road TRD truck... find the RR Locker button (left of steering wheel)... Then go to the salesman (or go without) to any Sport TRD and try and find a RR Locker button.

What both the Sport and Off Roads have in common is TRAC and AUTO LSD both are limited slip systems, not a differential locker. Off Road 4WDs have a stronger TRAC/ AUTO LSD because of their hydraulic brake booster... needed for the super strong A-TRAC system

Only the 4WD Off Road TRDs have A-TRAC (button down low by cigarette lighter/ 12v outlet) which is a front and rear locker-like system that uses sensors and the brakes to lock tire rotation... a true differential locker uses gears to lock tire rotation.

5. Nov 18, 2010 at 4:30 PM
    thenomad

thenomad [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Way
    Kennebunkport, ME
    Thanks for the info.

What was funny is we were sitting in a 4x2 offroad and he went to show me the 4 hi and lo 4x4 switch and he was turning the fan switch lol. It was quite amusing but atleast I got to feel how much room is actually in a double cab (surprisingly a lot!).

Thanks for baring with my noobness. I don't think the e-locker is a necessity for me but I don't see why I would spend the same amount of money for not having the convenience of the option. Plus it will be helpful when I go back to moab and the north west!

Products Discussed in

To Top