1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Someone mildly rear-ends your Tacoma, do you pursue payment?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MrsPib, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Oct 19, 2011 at 12:06 PM
    MrsPib

MrsPib [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angie
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '09 SWB 4.0 6-speed semi-debadged
    clear DTRLs, AMO Buckshots, factory upgrades, lifted
    So, our lovely new Tacoma just got run over by a early-90's Suburban last night. The impact was fairly mild, but it did put a 1/4" deep square in his license plate and dented our chrome bumper and scuffed the plastic.

A few people are telling me to "let it go," "it's a truck," "it'll get beat to hell eventually" but *I* say, this is a vehicle that I adore to pieces, and to inflict damage upon it is like pricking me in the heart with a red-hot needle and I want this made right.

It was dark when we hit, and it was dark where we pulled over, so damage was very hard to see. The kid, about 16-17, couldn't find his mom's valid insurance card, so we swapped phone numbers, I took a picture of his license plate, I know where he lives, what he drives, etc. etc. Now, it's the calling of his mother and going "well.....ma'am......I'm filing a claim for a scuff and a ding"

So, my question....do I shrug and say "whatever, it's a truck" or do I do the procedurally-correct thing of filing and ruin everyone's day, but mine? Cash settling is also an option for me, too. Some people have very restrictive insurance companies etc etc...

Not the best picture. Chrome is rumpled, plastic scuffed. What do you folks think?

[​IMG]

2. Oct 19, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Personally, I would let that go. I've let worse damage go before.

Make the kid wash your truck for you or something.

3. Oct 19, 2011 at 12:09 PM
    mhuff29

mhuff29 TÅpƐwo®m

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arvada, CO
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Double Cab SR5
    Air Filter (K&N) Wheels & Tires
    Depends, do you plan on getting a high clearance bumper in the near future or are you keeping it stock? If keeping it stock I would try a small cash incentive instead of insurance. If you plan on getting a high clearance bumper then you can still get a cash incentive to put towards that bumper?

4. Oct 19, 2011 at 12:11 PM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    i can't see anything in that pic. i would let it go, and i'm pretty detailed about my vehicles

5. Oct 19, 2011 at 12:12 PM
    bendbolden

bendbolden Come and take them.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Moscow, TN
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser
    None but soon......
    FILE A CLAIM AND TELL THEM YOUR NECK HURTS!!! Joking. I would probably let that go but it's hard to say without being in that position. If that's your first ding that makes it that much harder.

6. Oct 19, 2011 at 12:13 PM
    friction

friction Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '08 4X4 RC SR5
    No big whoop in my humble opinion, and I'm pretty damn picky with dings, etc.

7. Oct 19, 2011 at 12:14 PM
    rwalker

rwalker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rian
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Baja TX
    It is a small dent but it is still a dent. Because he rear-ended you its his fault.
    It really comes down to what kind of person you are. I personally would file an insurance claim. You could get an estimate from a body shop to see what it would cost to get the dent out and decided from there if its worth the time.

8. Oct 19, 2011 at 12:15 PM
    MAXTacoma

MAXTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Lexus GS 350
    I would get it fixed.... I mean he messed up and let it be a lesson to him or he will never learn. Its a good lesson to learn as no one got hurt/injured and the damage wasn't anything more.

9. Oct 19, 2011 at 12:15 PM
    Opihiman10

Opihiman10 Active Member

Member:
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2011 double cab 4x4 TRD SR5
    Nerf bars
    while it looks ok...go under the truck and look at the mounting bolts for your bumper. it may have shifted a little. a clean spot would probably be a good indicator.

As far a pursuing. No harm no foul...

Malama Pono

OPI

10. Oct 19, 2011 at 12:16 PM
    808TRDTaco10

808TRDTaco10 Black Sand Mirror

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Big Island--->Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    10 AC TRD OR 4x4 BSP; 08 Reg Cab 5 spd 4x4
    TRD Off Road 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac Load Range C | Toytec Ultimate Lift with Emu Dakar Leaf Packs | 3* Axle Shims, CB Drop, Sway Bar Relocates | AVS Vent Visors, AVS Bugshield | Scangauge II | Smoked Eagle Eyes Ebay LED Tails | Wet Okole Seat Covers | Weather Tech Floor Liners | Pop n Lock | OEM Bed Mat | Truxedo Lo Pro QT Tonneau Cover | TRD Cat Back Exhaust | Aftermarket Alarm System | Pro Coat "Electronic Rustproofing"
    Call me an ass if you want, but I most definitely would not let it go. Similar thing happened to me but it happened on my front bumper and I made sure that idiot replaced my bumper cover on their dime. From the pic the damage doesn't look too bad, but hey, your truck is new and you shouldn't have to pay for someone else's carelessness. Make them pay you cash to get it fixed.

11. Oct 19, 2011 at 12:16 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    It seems you take care of your truck otherwise you wouldn't be worried about that ding in which case, I say see if the kid's mother will pay for the damages out of pocket. That way her insurance doesn't have to get involved and skyrocket because her son was driving and you'll get the damage repaired. If the truck is a beater, I'd say let it go but I'm with you, I take care of my truck and someone else's careless error shouldn't result in me having to 'live with' dents and dings.

12. Oct 19, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN GEORGIA

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    yes in their blood.

13. Oct 19, 2011 at 12:20 PM
    RAT PRODUCTS

RAT PRODUCTS RAT Products

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Farmington, MN
    Vehicle:
    01 CUMTOY and 16 Sierra Denali
    View the build. Too much to list.
    Nobody sees this as an opportunity for a real rear bumper? If it was me I would get a nice plate bumper so the next time this happens it won't dent.

14. Oct 19, 2011 at 12:20 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 mod status????

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS

^^ this :thumbsup:

15. Oct 19, 2011 at 12:20 PM
    T Fades

T Fades Well-Known Member

Member:
    Simi Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 2wd DCLB
    Satoshi, debadged, rear view mirror bracket, tail gate hose clamps, trimmed mud flaps.
    I would say to them, 'I want this fixed. We can handle it two ways, either a cash settlement or filing an insurance claim'. Most people will go the cash settlement route unless they think they are not at fault.

It must be painful for this to happen, eventhough it is a small dent (and thank goodness it is on the bumper and not a painted panel). My truck is only a couple months old with no dings yet (knocks on wood), and that would make me upset too.

Good luck!

16. Oct 19, 2011 at 12:20 PM
    danbow

danbow Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    North Texas (not DFW)
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB 4x4 TRDOR
    5100's front and rear, LR UCA's, OME 887s, Wheelers AAL, CBI Hidden front receiver hitch, Warn 10k winch, All Pro IFS skid, Shrockworks Sliders, Bestop, Bedliner Fender Flares, Wet Ocole Seat Covers, Weather Tech Floor Liners, Sony HU, OE bed mat, Paint to match Grille and rear bumper, Cooper ST Maxx 265/75/16, and trail damage.
    file a claim.

you need a new bumper and textured step pad

chrome bumpers cannot be repaired... (well they can, but it is cheaper to get a new one than re-chrome.)

you don't have to get it fixed.... you could use the $ for mods.

Do not settle for cash with the guy who did it, for your protection and his.

And you don't have to call the guys mom.... call your insurance company (if you have collision coverage) and they can find the guys insurance by using his plate#... and they can just close the claim on your end once that's done.

.... I'm an auto adjuster in TX, so hopefully a little inside info will help.

17. Oct 19, 2011 at 12:21 PM
    MMazz365

MMazz365 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    NY
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    -flowmaster dual side exit exhaust -3 inch lift -cb radio -scanner -DTRL's -Fogs Anytime -Truxedo Soft Tonnahu Cover -eyelids -grillcraft upper and lower -fogs behind the grill
    x2..... Just an excuse to tell your loved one you need an awsome steel bumper that next time a 16yr old kid hits, his suv get crushed

18. Oct 19, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SD, CA Now in Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco 4x4 TRD OffRoad Rugged Trail
    SAW 2.0s, Wheeler's 3-leaf AAL, On Board Air, 255/85/16 Cooper Discover S/T, CBI Sliders, Built right UCAs, 6" Harbor Freight Lights (converted to HIDs), KC Slim Lights.
    I wish that the d-bag that side swiped my rear quarter panel would of left their info. Jack ass college kids.

19. Oct 19, 2011 at 12:25 PM
    neoflex

neoflex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Did you file a Police report? Without one filed they could turn into azzholes and tell you to go F' yourself since you don't really have proof other than your word against his. Even with minimal damage I always file a police report. I learned the hard way when I was much much younger and a woman side swiped my truck and a couple weeks later I was being sued because she made up some phoney bologna story of how I hit her and she had all these injuries. What an F'in nightmare to finally get the courts to see she was the one full of chit.
    Back on topic. I would have them repair my truck but than again I am super anal about my vehicles and every time I saw that crease my blood would boil knowing I let it slide.

20. Oct 19, 2011 at 12:29 PM
    MrsPib

MrsPib [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angie
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '09 SWB 4.0 6-speed semi-debadged
    clear DTRLs, AMO Buckshots, factory upgrades, lifted
    Thanks for all the input thus far. The picture of my bumper doesn't show too much, but for an idea of the impact, here is his newly stamped plate and his own rumpled bumper.

[​IMG]

I am...so so so...glad that the tailgate came out straight. I was sure with a vehicle this size, and the amount of noise he was making as he was trying to stop, that we were going to walk around to a folded-in tailgate

To Top