1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Something is broke on crank side of flywheel

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by 95 tacoma, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Jul 17, 2013 at 9:37 AM
    95 tacoma

95 tacoma [OP] New Member

Member:
    Chesterton, IN.
    Vehicle:
    lifted 95 tacoma
    rear locker, 33's
    Went through some deep holes the other day, truck started making horrible noise from the T-case area. The truck will not start now, not getting spark. Upon further inspection the flywheel spins and seems ok via rear end plate? Crankshaft is not spinning, no moving of timing chain. Just fishing before I drop trans and t-case. Thanks

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  2. Jul 17, 2013 at 11:19 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 ASE Master Tech Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    Multi-point tow hooks, new bored 2.7L engine, custom paint. 3 inch adjustable Fabtech front coils, 2.5 inch rear AAL. Front Aussie locker. LED bed lights. Full LED conversion interior and exterior. Relentless Fabrication front and rear bumpers. 4X4innovation sliders. BAMF bed rack. CVT rooftop tent.
    So let me get this straight, the starter turns the flywheel, and you can verify this, but the crankshaft does not turn on the front? Could have sheared the flywheel itself. Only way to know is either pull the trans, or pull the engine.

3. Jul 17, 2013 at 12:57 PM
    95 tacoma

Member:
    Chesterton, IN.
    Vehicle:
    lifted 95 tacoma
    rear locker, 33's
    Thanks for the response! I dropped the oil pan to try and see whats going on. Nothing looks broke on the crank. When I spin the flywheel by hand it sounds like I may have shread the bolts on the flywheel? The flywheel spins crank does not move and it kind of sounds like there are bolts rattling on the other side of the flywheel. Have you heard of shearing the flywheel before is it commin? I had her in four low, with some load is that the weak link?

4. Jul 18, 2013 at 5:27 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 ASE Master Tech Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    Multi-point tow hooks, new bored 2.7L engine, custom paint. 3 inch adjustable Fabtech front coils, 2.5 inch rear AAL. Front Aussie locker. LED bed lights. Full LED conversion interior and exterior. Relentless Fabrication front and rear bumpers. 4X4innovation sliders. BAMF bed rack. CVT rooftop tent.
    I have seen it before in other trucks and cars. Sounds like time to pull the transmission.

5. Jul 19, 2013 at 2:54 PM
    95 tacoma

Member:
    Chesterton, IN.
    Vehicle:
    lifted 95 tacoma
    rear locker, 33's
    Pulled the trans. to find every bolt on the flywheel sheard off- 10 bolts in all. I just bought the truck and the previous owner put a clutch in not to long ago. I think he may have over torqued these bolts a tad, weaking there tesile streghth. At least it is just some bolts.

6. Jul 19, 2013 at 5:11 PM
    JudoJohn

JudoJohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD 5 speed
    that's why they use shear bolts. better the bolts broke than the crank or flywheel.

To Top