1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sooo I got my Visa credit card today...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ink junky, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Nov 18, 2010 at 9:13 PM
    Blue

Blue You're my boy blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Sierras
    Vehicle:
    ex 99 current 04 TRD
    this is an excellent idea

2. Nov 18, 2010 at 9:24 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Dude burn it burn it now! As Thoreau said, "The man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." Tacoma notwithstanding. :)

3. Nov 18, 2010 at 9:34 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    so basically if you applied that saying to this era...crackheads have a richer life than us normal folks? :p

4. Nov 18, 2010 at 9:57 PM
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Rad
    LAX & LOGAN
    dang man. how old are you? 5k can get you into a lot of trouble.

Remember, APR man, APR! Thats all you gotta know. Money is never Free!

I have 2 Credit Cards with a limit of 40k each. . . I don't make enough money to cover them at all. . .

5. Nov 18, 2010 at 10:08 PM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    x2 mine is at $2500 for a first time. I hate the thing. Luckily I am on a plan now where I pay $100 a month so I can pay it off. sad thing is, i have not used the thing is over a year yet the balance stays the same.... Chase sucks donkey dicks. they jacked my interest up from 7% to 20%.... even though I made all my payments early and often times twice as much as they should be. :mad:

6. Nov 19, 2010 at 6:18 AM
    takern

takern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    I got one with a 500 limit. just use it for gas. everything else i pay for with cash. unless it is online. then you kind of have to.

7. Nov 19, 2010 at 6:44 AM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    Burn it with fire!

8. Nov 19, 2010 at 6:59 AM
    Primersinmyshoe

Primersinmyshoe Old Sheepdog

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Limited MGM
    None (yet)
    Anyone who carries a monthly balance on a credit card is a fool. It's a trap that weak people easily fall into. If you don't have the money to buy the item then go without. The three exceptions are education, car, house. Be careful of the last one; so many people buy more house than they can afford. If you have to borrow money to buy the necessities of life, you're in trouble. Learn this while you're young and you'll be debt free. If not the credit card companies will get rich off of your greed.

9. Nov 19, 2010 at 7:01 AM
    MyYota05

MyYota05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Muskogee, Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Prerunner w/ TRD Offroad Pkg.
    3'' Lift Kit, Bed Rug Liner, Black Rims
    As others have mentioned, dont go overboard, I use to use them when they had the 0% interest for a year, I would go and buy a product then pay it off, then go get another one and kept on throughout the year until the year was up then I made sure it was all paid off and then I would cancel it, that helped me get a great credit score. :)

10. Nov 19, 2010 at 7:03 AM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Are your mods really worth your % rate?................I agree w/others.........be very careful.......plastic can get you in allot of trouble now and in the future......either cut it up or put that card in a safe place and only use it in an emergency....

11. Nov 19, 2010 at 7:07 AM
    Primersinmyshoe

Primersinmyshoe Old Sheepdog

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Limited MGM
    None (yet)
    From my previous post you might think that I do not use a credit card, but I do. I use it every chance I get. The thing is; I pay off my purchases when they appear online. I use a Chase Visa card and get 1% back on everything and 3% back on a few things. Chase hates me because a couple times a year they send me a check for $100 and I never pay them anything. If you use your head you'll win.

12. Nov 19, 2010 at 8:13 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    holy schit...i remember my first card. my very first purchase was a round of drinks in a SF bar called Shanghai Kelly's. my second purchase was a stereo system. my life got out of control shortly after. it took forever to reel that insanity back in..

$5k is ALOT!! please post back up in a year and let us how how well or how sucky this all went.

13. Nov 19, 2010 at 8:13 AM
    ink junky

ink junky [OP] I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)
    Yea you guys are right...

Im still gonna get a few things..no more than $800 all together. :D

Seriously though thanks for all the advice guys. I will keep my head above the water :D just like I've always done.

14. Nov 19, 2010 at 8:14 AM
    ink junky

ink junky [OP] I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)

YOU GOT IT :D

15. Nov 19, 2010 at 8:28 AM
    BeerHat

BeerHat Got Beer?

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2001 PreRunner 4x4
    PreRunner 4x4, Homebrew Front Bumper, Homebrew Sliders, Homebrew Skids, Homebrew Bedbar, Homebrew Beer
    You wouldn't have to, just call up Obama and tell him a sobbing story; he'll bail you out just like GM. :rolleyes:

To the OP, I am sure that you are saavy enough to pay the card in full each month, but just remember an old cliche of 'Out of sight, out of mind'. It rings more true with money; damn the stupid things I would buy.

16. Nov 19, 2010 at 8:32 AM
    mntbiker2008

mntbiker2008 First I derp.. then I herp

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Cincinnati, OH
    Vehicle:
    93 Pick up 4x4 (sold), 10' Mazda 3
    this.... I keep my card in my safe at home so I am not tempted to use it.

17. Nov 19, 2010 at 8:34 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    i agree with some exception

i maintain very little debt...BUT i do have a balance spread between 3 credit cards...2 are with banks and the balance has been from unplanned emergencies and necessities that i do not have the cash on hand for...i pay them off very quickly even though my rates are around 6%...my minimum payments are around $15-$25 and i try to pay around $150/mon...my 3rd card is a lowes card because i NEEDED a new washer and dryer and didnt have $1100 to spend at one time and they offered 0% for that purchase if i opened a card...i pay around $150/mon on that as well...i dont carry any of the 3 cards with me and i have them locked away in a lockbox so i'm not tempted to use them...but theyre available for an emergency...the 2 bank cards only have a limit of $1000 each and the lowes one is $2000...so I cant do too much damage to my financial situation...the banks have tried to raise my limit a couple of times and i've refused

I however, can afford to do this because I dont have a truck payment, and my rent is lower than most...but i also do not make a huge salary so I still have to work within a budget for bills, food, etc...

18. Nov 19, 2010 at 8:51 AM
    USFCON

USFCON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Melbourne, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 Off Road
    FLM URD Short Shifter Debadged Gate 4 D-ring add on Weathertech floor mats Sport Wheel Swap Color matched Grill Bed lights Air freshner mod AAL Bilstein x 4 Tacolean Spacer Tins Bike Fork Mount Sexy Tires Blacked out Valence
    try getting one with 10K limit. Cut it up asap!!!

19. Nov 19, 2010 at 8:54 AM
    TurfTaco

TurfTaco Is there a long john silvers on the island?

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    285/75-16 BFG KM1's, AVS vent visors, AVS hood shield, pioneer avic F900BT, pac steering wheel control adapter, Boyo rearview camera, pac ipod interface, tinted windows, Toytec 1.5 AAL, Bistein 5100s (front set to .85) Eibach coils, Black headlights, grillcraft black billet insert, N-fab light bar, 4 Hella FF700 lights & color matched grille, Sockmonkey bedside decals. 16x8 MT sidebiters, Weathertechs, Fabtech spare carrier.
    Credit cards are a wonderful tool to have. You usually have another year of warranty on electronics by the card issuer, free insurance on rental cars, etc. Plus many of the cards with rewards are great. I have one card I use for everything. I runup a balance of around 3k each month, but pay it off every month. I average 600.00 per year in gift cards and/or cash. Credit cards are much safer than debit cards as well. Even tho you have 0 liability if someone accesses your card on both debit and credit, with a debit card someone is stealing YOUR money and even tho you will get it back what if you bounce checks that were out because someone emptied you out. You will have fees accessed and may get reimbursed but why the hassle? Remember if someone steals your credit card they are not taking your money, but with a debit card they are!

20. Nov 19, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    jrdbrn

jrdbrn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '21 TRD Off Road
    Yay credit cards! I am $9000 in debt cause of em!

Products Discussed in

To Top