1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sooo I got my Visa credit card today...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ink junky, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Nov 19, 2010 at 9:09 AM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    I had 2k in credit card debt...paid em off and cut em in half haha

2. Nov 19, 2010 at 9:22 AM
    TurfTaco

TurfTaco Is there a long john silvers on the island?

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    285/75-16 BFG KM1's, AVS vent visors, AVS hood shield, pioneer avic F900BT, pac steering wheel control adapter, Boyo rearview camera, pac ipod interface, tinted windows, Toytec 1.5 AAL, Bistein 5100s (front set to .85) Eibach coils, Black headlights, grillcraft black billet insert, N-fab light bar, 4 Hella FF700 lights & color matched grille, Sockmonkey bedside decals. 16x8 MT sidebiters, Weathertechs, Fabtech spare carrier.
    cutting them up=ok, closing the account=bad If you close an account your credit score will go down because you lower your debt to available credit ratio. That is why its good to have several cards and never use more than 20% of the available credit which will keep your score up and we all know the higher the score the better rate you will get on loans.

I have 5 cards but only carry one. I use the other 4 just twice per year to keep the account active.

3. Nov 19, 2010 at 9:51 AM
    VTDave

VTDave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vermont, USA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 4x4 Base 5sp Man, 16 DCSB 4x4 Sport 6sp Man
    The credit card company is your adversary: they want you to get into long term debt. Don't take the bait.

Treat your card like cash. Only spend what you have.

I have friends who are wealthy and friends who are poor. They both earn about the same income. The difference is how they manage their money. Can you guess which ones carry balances on their credit cards?

4. Nov 19, 2010 at 9:59 AM
    TurfTaco

TurfTaco Is there a long john silvers on the island?

Member:
    URE
    Vehicle:
    07 Deer Collector
    285/75-16 BFG KM1's, AVS vent visors, AVS hood shield, pioneer avic F900BT, pac steering wheel control adapter, Boyo rearview camera, pac ipod interface, tinted windows, Toytec 1.5 AAL, Bistein 5100s (front set to .85) Eibach coils, Black headlights, grillcraft black billet insert, N-fab light bar, 4 Hella FF700 lights & color matched grille, Sockmonkey bedside decals. 16x8 MT sidebiters, Weathertechs, Fabtech spare carrier.
    True words

5. Nov 19, 2010 at 10:06 AM
    lepedog23

lepedog23 Taco Rookie

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Huntington Park
    Vehicle:
    Wrecked 2002 4Runner 4x4 trying to rebuild ***Sold2001 DC Tacoma. Stock. Salvage Title MOD.
    Wrecked 2002 4Runner 4x4 ***Sold 2001 Tacoma, Salvage Title MOD. ***Sold 2010 Tacoma doublecab prerunner

rip up that card!!! you'll regret it... it has to be paid back...:D

6. Nov 19, 2010 at 10:11 AM
    BarkSlayer

BarkSlayer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Northwest Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Silver SR5 with 2.7 liter 5-speed stick
    Bed-Buddy motorcycle tie-down bar installed in headwall.
    G - Get
    O - out
    O - of
    D - debt.

It starts by cutting that new card into little pieces. For most people, if you don't have the cash, you can't afford it.

7. Feb 7, 2011 at 7:16 AM
    ink junky

ink junky [OP] I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)
    Little up date, August of last year, bought the treck mountain bike @ $1400, in November the URD TCAI and AT2525 at about $500 shipped, all on credit.

I'm debt free :) :D

Oh and to answer some of ya'lls questions on my APR, it's at 0% APR for any purchases OVER $200 if paid off withing the first year of having the cc. After the first year is passed, OR if I make any purchases under $200 I will be charged a RIDICULOUS 24%. So I will not be buying anything under $200 and all my debt (from some more crap I'm about to "buy" :eek: ) will be paid off well before this summer is over. :)

8. Feb 7, 2011 at 9:57 AM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Cut that damn thing up.

9. Feb 7, 2011 at 10:09 AM
    ink junky

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)

NO! :mad: :p :eek: :D

:rofl:

10. Feb 7, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    SlimDigg

SlimDigg We Back!!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Coming Soon....
    I got a credit card at 16 so I could buy things off the internet. I was all well and good for a few years, then I got out on my own (19). I also got another credit card with which I earn air miles. The highest debt I was in was 2400. It doesn't sound like much, but it becomes quite the mountain when you do not make enough money to pay it back.

Admitting this sucks, but my parents bailed me out. After getting a solid extra job int he summer last year (doorman at a strip club), I was able to easily lift my new truck, get new golf clubs, and best of all stay debt free. The I do have 2 credit cards, and they both carry no balance. I find carrying it with me a necessity because you never know when emergency will strike.

Be careful, often times the credit card company will up your limit without telling you. I now have a 10k limit on my air miles mastercard!

Bottom line for me:

Credit card is for getting things online (with I have the cash for)
    and emergency.

11. Feb 7, 2011 at 2:01 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    I know people that do that. Spend $250k in CC, sell it all for cash, then hide out in China for 7 years. Then come back and do it all over. Crazy stuff

12. Feb 7, 2011 at 2:03 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    i would cut it up and throw it away

13. Feb 7, 2011 at 2:28 PM
    ink junky

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    Man some of you guys sure made your beds huh? :p

I only have the one credit card, my only payments are the truck, insurance, phone, and money for gas of course, and the bare necessities.

I moved in with my sis after I got out :eek: so I don't worry about rent, aaaaand unlike some of you I can control myself :p

Seriously though guys, thanks for all the warnings. When I first got the cc, I was about to go NUTS on my truck:eek:. I posted on here and I've been reading some of ya'lls horror stories, and MAN I hit the brakes REAL QUICK.

So I did like some suggested, and only bought stuff when I had the cash (using the cc that is) for it in the bank. I'll keep using that method . :)

The reason I'll do it that way^^^ is cuz I'd rather not just get a big ass chunk of dough taken out of MY account, and would rather pay off the credit card in increments of half of the price of the purchases. (if that makes any sense)

14. Feb 7, 2011 at 2:42 PM
    cc350

cc350 Retired Member

Member:
    Smart person lives within their means, a rich person lives below their means, and dumb asses are in hock for the rest of their lives cause of 1 word "Credit"

15. Feb 7, 2011 at 2:45 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    I don't put anything on my credit cards that I can't afford to pay cash for right away. Pay my credit card bill off in full every month. If I don't actually have the money for something, I'll wait. Only time I'll carry a balance on a credit card is if there was some sort of emergency or un-planned for expense or repair bill that came up.

16. Feb 7, 2011 at 2:54 PM
    ink junky

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:

and some people know how to manage their money ;)

If I see a hole, I'm not dumb enough to step in it, even if it may only seem like a tiny puddle I won't jump in. :)

17. Feb 7, 2011 at 2:58 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    jeez some of you guys really messed up lol.

I've had a credit card since I was 16 and have only used it for gas since then, I completely pay the balance every month and my parents made sure I knew that I should treat the card like cash, plus it only has a $300 limit so I can't mess up if I wanted to.

18. Feb 7, 2011 at 3:08 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Credit cards are perfectly fine so long as you pay them in full before the end of the grace period. They help cashflow a ton.

The only people that complain about them are people who use/used them wrong. I've had a credit card for close to ten years now and haven't paid a penny in interest. And thanks to that, among other things, my credit rating is fuckin' ballin'.

Living within your means is key.

19. Feb 7, 2011 at 3:35 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    ID THEFT PROTECTION.

People make fraudulent charges on your CC, it's Visa's problem.

People steal your debit/savings account info, they just left the state with all your untraceable cash.

I hardly ever use cash any more.

20. Feb 7, 2011 at 3:51 PM
    bigwalton15

bigwalton15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    2010 DoubleCab TRD
    I use my credit card for big purchases because I get miles for ever dollar. Then at the end of the month I pay it off. I've had my credit card for over a year and have never once had a balance on it. Plan to keep it that way too unless some emergency comes up. I never put anything on my card unless I have the money in my bank account to pay it off.

Products Discussed in

To Top