1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sooo... Just installed my Magnaflow and aFe...

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by 0uTkAsT, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Mar 10, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    0uTkAsT

0uTkAsT [OP] Gun Toting Gearhead

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Avid custom front & rear bumpers, Avid sliders & skid plates, Avid light bar, six 6.5" 100W off road lights, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s front & rear, Deaver AAL, MB 72B 16x8.5" wheels, 33" Hankook Dynapro AT-Ms, aFe dry filter, intake baffle & charcoal filter deleted, MagnaPack 18" muffler & exhaust bend delete, bedside & tailgate vinyls, carpeted bed, 25% tint, painted grille, mudflap delete, Supertop camper, black headlights & tail lights, breather mod, smoked 3rd brake light, recovery gear, mounted shovel, axe, extinguisher, Hi-Lift in Quickfist clamps / XRAC, sway bar delete, debadged tailgate, custom gun rack, bullet antenna, Kenwood double DIN nav, Scosche dash, JBL door speakers, aluminum pedals & shift knob
    Good news: I noticed the truck runs a LOT smoother and definitely has more power, no doubt. The butt dyno is satisfied. I removed the intake baffle from the fender well, replaced the filter with an aFe Pro Dry S, tore out the charcoal filter, replaced the muffler, and then reset the ECU so the truck would adapt. For less than $100, I'm happy.

Bad news: Holy freaking crap this thing is loud now! What Magnaflow muffler did y'all use on your 4-bangers, or did you just buy the Magnaflow cat-back? I'm running the [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10425[/FONT] because the dimensions were absolutely perfect and I thought it should be relatively quiet with an 18" case length and 4" case diameter. WRONG.

Ok news: Its loud, but at least it's not farty loud or raspy sounding. It's deep and burbley, like a Subaru or something. Not exactly what I wanted, but thank GOD it doesn't sound like a barrio Honda with a PepBoys fart can. The other good thing is the natural "dead spot" in the exhaust tone is right at cruising speed (45 in 4th and 70 in 5th) so I'm not going to go stark-freaking-mad driving to work in it.

What I did:
    The install was a cinch. My measurements were perfect and it welded right in after cutting out the stock muffler. I did eliminate an unnecessary bend by cutting the factory pipe back 18" and filling the void with an $8 aluminized straight pipe from AutoZone. Had I thought about that before hand, I would have ordered a longer muffler. Side-by-side, the stock muffler appears to be about 60-70% larger than the Magnaflow even though the case lengths are only 3.5" apart. The intake mods have been discussed all over this site so I don't need to go into any detail. The hardest part of that was removing the splash guard/fenderwell liner without busting all the retarded square clips they used. All told, the intake and exhaust mods took me about two and a half hours and cost $83.

This is the first 4-cylinder I've ever owned, so I didn't know what to expect coming in (especially because I'm down four cylinders and 3.2L from my last truck) and needless to say it has been a learning experience.

Yes, I will get videos, but I have to wait until the better half gets home to record it.

2. Mar 10, 2011 at 1:09 PM
    slo13zx3

slo13zx3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    forest city pa
    Vehicle:
    14 trd off 6speed nav
    magnapack is more like a glass pack

3. Mar 10, 2011 at 2:07 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Avid custom front & rear bumpers, Avid sliders & skid plates, Avid light bar, six 6.5" 100W off road lights, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s front & rear, Deaver AAL, MB 72B 16x8.5" wheels, 33" Hankook Dynapro AT-Ms, aFe dry filter, intake baffle & charcoal filter deleted, MagnaPack 18" muffler & exhaust bend delete, bedside & tailgate vinyls, carpeted bed, 25% tint, painted grille, mudflap delete, Supertop camper, black headlights & tail lights, breather mod, smoked 3rd brake light, recovery gear, mounted shovel, axe, extinguisher, Hi-Lift in Quickfist clamps / XRAC, sway bar delete, debadged tailgate, custom gun rack, bullet antenna, Kenwood double DIN nav, Scosche dash, JBL door speakers, aluminum pedals & shift knob
    Yeah, I pretty much knew that once I actually looked at the muffler when it was delivered, but I ordered it without much thought because Magnaflow also has an actual glasspack line, so I wasn't too worried when I bought it. I've used DynoMax Ultra-Flo canister-style mufflers on various cars and trucks in the past and this Magnaflow is very similar in design, but I never had a problem with a car or truck being too loud before, and I certainly didn't expect this kind of sound to come from an 18" muffler. The DynoMax mufflers must absorb a lot more sound or something, but whatever it is about the setup on this truck makes it nearly as loud as my old Dakota was with DynoMax Bullets, test pipes (no cats/resonators), and mid-length headers.

I'm going to drive it for a couple weeks and see if I grow into the sound or not. I have several options to take if I can't stand it.

4. Mar 10, 2011 at 2:11 PM
    chaz834

chaz834 Tacoma 4 Life.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Kendrick, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2012 Sport MGM
    3'' Tuff Counrty Lift, Moromoto Mini H1 Projectors 5000K 35W, BHLM, 30'' LED Light Bar, Black TOYOTA Emblem, Excelon Touch Screen Deck, Hertz Speakers,Excelon AMP, 2 10'' JL Audio Subs, Wet Okle seat covers, Weather Tech Floor Mats.
    Post up a video lets hear it... ;)

5. Mar 10, 2011 at 2:29 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    I'll have videos up later tonight, promise. ;)

6. Mar 10, 2011 at 5:30 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Ok so the woman just called and said she's getting home late, so I'm going to grab my *other* co-pilot and see if we can catch a video.

Danger: Totally awesome videography to come [/sarcasm] :rolleyes:

Edit:
    Sorry for all the shots of my crotch, this endeavor wasn't as easy as I thought, mainly due to traffic.

First video is with the windows down, second is with the windows up. Both videos were taken at speeds up to 55 MPH, and yes I was getting on it a little more than I normally would for dramatic effect. [/sarcasm2]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq0sK402-hI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7FZxSh0JIs

7. Mar 10, 2011 at 6:38 PM
    chriss

chriss Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    Come on. At least put a seat belt on the dog.

Muffler not as bad as you described.

8. Mar 10, 2011 at 7:08 PM
    mcleod90

mcleod90 150,000 miles and counting

Member:
    First Name:
    sean
    modesto ca
    Vehicle:
    05 double cab
    Do you take video request? :)

9. Mar 10, 2011 at 7:23 PM
    meeestirg

meeestirg Well-Known Member

Member:

he's GANGSTAAAA no seat belt for him or the dog!

10. Mar 10, 2011 at 9:59 PM
    mcleod90

Member:
    First Name:
    sean
    modesto ca
    Vehicle:
    05 double cab
    You mind taking a video of the start up with the camera outside

11. Mar 10, 2011 at 10:06 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 SR5 TRD tacoma
    Camburg LT
    I will post a video tomorrow of my BA muffler.

12. Mar 10, 2011 at 10:06 PM
    tacomarotto

tacomarotto "Change is inevitable, but growth is optional."

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    FJ Cruiser 07'
    Bilstein 5100 (2.5") aFe short ram intake KC light bar PIAA halogen Lights Hella Lights on top Yakima Load Warrior
    its got a nice growl to it.

more vids!

13. Mar 11, 2011 at 8:31 AM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    Um....no

14. Mar 11, 2011 at 6:51 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    I will definitely grab a few more videos when the time allows, I'm working through the weekend so it might be the beginning of the week before I get a chance to take any more. mcleod90, I will be sure to take one outside the truck, start it up, and rev it a little.

lol @ the seatbelt thing, we went 1/4 mile and were on side streets with no traffic.

And it's starting to grow on me. I actually like the tone, its kind of addicting. If it wasn't so damn loud I think I'd be real happy.

15. Mar 11, 2011 at 6:59 PM
    ILove2Drive

ILove2Drive Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    WV
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4 5 Speed Manual
    Halo headlights, Black tail light covers, dual exhaust, 5100s front and rear, eibach coils, wheelers 1.5 AAL, window tint, bow arrow antenna, bull bar, painted grille emblem, debadged, raceline rims, a few decals, CB radio, alpine HU, husky floor liners, tool box, mesh grill...and more to come eventually
    I like it, I think it sounds good man, good job with it :thumbsup:

16. Mar 11, 2011 at 7:17 PM
    mcleod90

Member:
    First Name:
    sean
    modesto ca
    Vehicle:
    05 double cab
    I think I'm just going to order the same one you did. From the clips you have up it sounds great to me. Doesn't sound ricey at all

17. Mar 11, 2011 at 8:14 PM
    tacokid09

tacokid09 it's about the off-road miles

Member:
    First Name:
    Blang
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    If i didnt have a track meet tomorrow in Clovis id get it done if my muffler shop has it in stock! so hoping sunday they do!!!

18. Mar 12, 2011 at 3:37 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Thanks guys, glad you like it! It definitely doesn't sound ricey, but it does let everyone know it's a 4-banger, and from quite some distance away. :)

The install was real easy because I measured in advance. I would probably recommend removing the unnecessary bend from the piping like I did for a cleaner install, though, which also allows for a longer muffler. In hindsight, I might have gone with the same style muffler but in a larger/longer model to keep the same tone but cut down on the noise some.

I'll post more videos when I can but my scheduling this weekend just won't allow for it.

19. Mar 12, 2011 at 6:28 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Alright so I shot a quick video on my way home with my phone and it really makes the exhaust sound farty so take this with a grain of salt, but here's a quick start up, rev to 2k, and slow drive off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOOyCD48064

I still plan on getting a better video from outside the truck with my actual camera (especially somewhere I can go more than 25 MPH).

20. Mar 15, 2011 at 3:51 PM
    mcleod90

Member:
    First Name:
    sean
    modesto ca
    Vehicle:
    05 double cab
    Sounds good to me. I think this is the one I'll end up going with.

To Top