1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Soooooo Who just got a 1992 Chevy 1500

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by Lentsnh, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Lentsnh

Lentsnh [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    Yep! ME! Because my budget was so low and I couldnt find anything decent as a platform truck for Project Zero Racing Baja truck, I have bought my Uncle's old truck. It needs alot of love right now.

I am going to semi-restore it and then sell it so that instead of a $500 budget for a truck, It'll be in the high $1k and low $2k. Also gives me more money for parts for my truck.

I will be going hopefully this weekend, or tomorrow, to pick it up. I will take plenty of pictures, Before and After.

Right now its a dark red, almost like the Impulse Red on our trucks. Should I keep it that color? Or go with something alittle cleaner...?

2. krimson

krimson Nothin

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    OME 3" lift with 885 coils. OME Shocks with TSB 1.5 AAL. 285/75/16 KM2s. XD Hoss 16" wheels. DDM Tuning 6000K HIDs, H10 6000K Fogs. BHLM. Debaged. 20% tint on front windows.
    Is it a 4x4? I did the same thing kinda... My uncle got a 09 F150 so i bought his 2000 F150 4x4 for 2k put super swampers on it and using it as my off road rig/project truck

3. Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Well I forgot to add that I bought this so I could get more experience in with mechanics, Make it look close to showroom condition again and then sell it so I can get in the thousands.

But to answer your question, its not. I most likely will take out the motor and transmission and put it in the race truck.

4. PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 King Ranch
    Husky floor liners, Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite, Line-X
    So how do you plan to restore and sell a truck with no motor or transmission??

5. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    10 MGM TRD OR 4wd Auto DCSB
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    If you just wanted an motor and tranny you could have bought a used LQ4 6.0 out of a later 1500 HD or a LS1 from just about anything and not have to bother restoring a vehicle.

6. Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Cards are in my hands right now. I could do so and then put in a crate engine and transmission.

At the shop we have 2 motors just lying around, one for sale and one being a donor engine for the FJ40 we are working on. I might just take one of those. It also depends on if the motor runs well enough. It does have 225,000 miles on it.

The transmission is a 5-speed with a Chevy Small block. *that is at the shop now.**

7. Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Back to where I was about a month ago. I have very little funds running through my bank account right now. Anyways a 6.0L Chevy engine would be WAYYYYY too heavy for Baja.

8. whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Banks Monster Exhaust, Pop n Lock tailgate lock, Hook-Ups tie down brackets, USA Spec Ipod adaptor, WO seat covers, color matched grill with Grillcraft insert, Tuffy locking bed box
    Iron block with aluminum heads. They aren't that heavy and weigh more than a fill iron block and head engine out of a 92 truck.

If you don't have money then why burn what you have on a truck you are just going to burn more money on that probably won't sell without an engine and trans.

9. Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
  10. Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Ok am I forgetting to say something here?

I bought this truck so that I could restore it and then sell it to get more money towards my race truck. Taking the engine and transmission out of the Chevy was just a thought. I dont know for sure yet what I'm going to do.

I have alot of inside deals with the shop and with companies around Auburn. I'll just see what happens and how bad of shape the Chevy is in to think any further.

11. PB65stang

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 King Ranch
    I'm not trying to be a dick, but maybe you should wait before you get into something like this, if you don't have any money for it?

12. Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
  13. whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    So you are wasting money on a truck only to waste more restoring it when in the end you will probably just end up even? Do what you want but I wouldn't do it. Just have patience. Some projects take years to make they don't just happen overnight unless you have unlimited cash.

14. FearNothing321

FearNothing321 Do you know Tyler Durden?

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Tampa Fl / Palm City Fl / Tequesta Fl
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 TRD Sport
    Sirius Sat radio, Scanguage II, N-Fab 2" side steps, Corbra 18wx, 4ft Firestik, Maglite mod, Bestop, Nitto Terra Grapplers....so far
    x2 why dump money into something that may not net you any return in the long run?

15. Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2010DCSB4X4TRDORMGM
    See build thread.
    agreed. sorry man. doesnt seem like a very wise financial decision to buy a truck based on your current financial situation right now, only wanting to spend more money to fix it up.

Save the money you would spend on buying the truck and the money you would spend on fixing up the truck. you will be better in the long run. this purchase seems more of a liability than an asset.

16. Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ...I'm not completely broke.
    Nope. Just enough money put into it to make it run smoothly and look like it did at the dealership lot in 1992. This doesnt mean replacing every bit of part there is on the truck. Mostly maintenance and just cleaning it up..Very little money involved.

It will. Like I said, very little coin will be put into it. I'm going to stretch my dollars.

Dont say it cant happen, cause it can. Saying this to everyone. I just found 5 1/2 half life(Little more than-) Nitto Terra Grapplers from someone on here for $125.

17. whippersnapper02

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Vehicle:
    Just wait until you start working on it. It will need this and that and all of a sudden you dumped a pile of money into it when you could have just saved to build the real project. Like I said earlier you can do what you want but it doesn't sound like a smart idea. You are expecting to spend $100 and get $5000 more than what you spent on the restoration but you won't get it.

18. Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2010DCSB4X4TRDORMGM
    See build thread.
    I've learned its always best to put aside however much money you think a certain prject is going to take. then add another 25% to that for fuck ups and just in cases.

If i were you i would just save my money and get what i really wanted from the beginning. not some old beater chevy.

Good luck.

19. Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Alot of maintenance can be done for almost free. All you need is a shop with ALOT of tools, great personnel to work with you, and PB Blaster and some starter fluid.

20. PB65stang

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 King Ranch
    Yeah, because I tell ya what, people are paying big money for 2wd 1992 Chevy 1500s with 225k on them.

I wish you the best of luck. But I still don't think it's a smart financial decision. And "restoring" and "cleaning" are 2 different things, fyi. To get showroom new will require some $$$.

To Top