1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sos armor issues

Discussion in 'Armor' started by m603holden, Oct 13, 2020.

?

Issues with SOS parts

1. Yes

2. Also yes.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Oct 13, 2020 at 2:20 PM
    m603holden

m603holden [OP] @Koditten Pirate Radio member #063

Member:
    First Name:
    Marteeen
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Lots of sail boat fuel
    Has anyone had issues with their SOS armor? Not looking for testimonies of parts that fit. Also not looking to drag anyone's name through mud.

Just looking to see who else has had issues, and with what parts.

2. Oct 13, 2020 at 2:20 PM
    m603holden

Member:
    First Name:
    Marteeen
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Lots of sail boat fuel
  3. Oct 13, 2020 at 2:23 PM
    m603holden

Member:
    First Name:
    Marteeen
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Lots of sail boat fuel
  4. Oct 13, 2020 at 2:26 PM
    m603holden

Member:
    First Name:
    Marteeen
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Lots of sail boat fuel
  5. Oct 13, 2020 at 3:10 PM
    Greg.Brakes.Tacos

Greg.Brakes.Tacos Don't Feed the Animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Between Richmond and Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2017 Taco DCSB TRD off road
    wanna be mods
    Had fitment issues on 3rd gen tacoma ifs rear hole alignment.

Also couldn't get the mid to nest inside the rear lip of the ifs skid, but that's not necessarily a problem...just not how it's supposedly to fit, per instructions.

Haven't gotten to try the tcase skid yet, but I'll be having the neighbor use his magnet drill for them and my mobtown slider overlap

m603holden[OP] likes this.
  6. Oct 13, 2020 at 3:14 PM
    m603holden

Member:
    First Name:
    Marteeen
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Lots of sail boat fuel
    We have the front two holes under the rad that are offset for a 3rd gen ifs,

And an improper bend + length issue for the 4r ifs

7. Oct 13, 2020 at 3:39 PM
    ovrlndkull

ovrlndkull STUKASFK - HC4LIFE

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Burlington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB Silver
    63s, XD Machete, Beat not Babied
  8. Oct 13, 2020 at 3:42 PM
    SearArtist

SearArtist Hybird

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2014 Lexus CT200h F Sport
    Battery
    Email them and ask. About all I can offer. The rear holes on my IFS had to be opened up but otherwise fit is fine.

9. Oct 13, 2020 at 3:42 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
  10. Oct 13, 2020 at 4:04 PM
    m603holden

Member:
    First Name:
    Marteeen
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Lots of sail boat fuel
    Yeah, the 4r skids are about 3/4"+ short. Not much to do there.

I've got a feeling with the holes being off, the alignment of the lip to the other skids will be off too.

If I still worked at a heavier fab shop or was still set up with torches at home, I'd have considered tackling it. But I don't. Which is also the same reason why I paid someone to make plates that should just bolt up. But here nor there. Looking to see who had issues with what.

mac_2_nite and whatstcp like this.
  11. Oct 13, 2020 at 4:24 PM
    crashngiggles

crashngiggles Tacomaworld's Resident Psych Dr.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Wilbraham, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM TRD 4x4 DCLB Trail Limo
    In the aspect of recognizing that as of this date, 10/12/2020, they are not currently a vendor on Tacomaworld anymore, which I can truthfully say I have no idea what happened either behind the scenes or out in the public forum. I know that their threads have been deleted and people that were once singing their praises are now very quiet and selling a lot of their stuff. Out of fairness, I will get a couple of points across first.
    1. I currently have 5 pieces of SOS armor on my vehicle.
    2. The main reason why I chose to go with SOS was due to their word of mouth reputation for being solid both on and off the trails as well as their value for money.
    3. Whoever does their powdercoating is a Master of their craft because I have never had one issue and I have noticed many other issues with a number of other vendors' products.
    4. I first bought a Streamline front bumper. I had had zero issues with fitment and personally believe it is the best looking partial front bumper made today. It went on like a charm and it is still as solid as the first day I bought it.
    5. My next big purchase was their skid plate trio, all straight steal. Got it on a black Friday deal that was a steal. When attaching my front IFS skid for the first time, I noticed that the angle on the front skid was too aggressive and the 2 center bolts caught not be attached due to the angle. I first called a local rep who then contacted Eddy, told him about the issue and he then put me directly in touch with Eddy himself. He apologized and stated that he did notice that the IGS skid jig was off by a couple of degrees, and that a number if people were having issues. At that time, he then offered to replace my skid, have it powdercoated at no cost for my troubles, and then pay for shipping the new one out to me and the old one to be shipped back. He followed through with his promise and the second one that came in was a tight fit but with the tolerance of different vehicles I was able to make it work with a small amount of elbow grease. My mid and Trans skids went on without any issue after that. Talking directly with Eddy made all the difference. I do understand though that he is a fabricator and he deals more with metal than the public which is why he has staff to follow through for him. This experience made me even more go with SOS when I went to purchase sliders.
    6. My fifth piece that I purchased was their 2nd gen sliders. These things went on like an OEM part. Smooth as silk. I went into it thinking it was going to take a good part of the day to get these on and it took myself and another TW member an hour each side.

All craziness aside, my experience overall was very positive and I do know of other members having issues regarding some of their pieces or with their customer service. Personally, with the one issue that I had, which was corrected and then made better to reimburse me for the time in between by having it powder coated for free, I have had a very positive experience with them. @m603holden , when you had contacted me about issues with your skid, I was under the assumption that things were going to get corrected with the same effectiveness as mine was corrected. I do wish that you would have had the same experience as me. It does appear that there was a cog in the machine that went off the rails resulting in fitment issues and apparently other ongoing turmoil. It is sad in them not being a vendor on TW anymore. It is too bad to see this. I am not affiliated with them at all, just giving my experience.

TheCochese, Lelandt, JKU3000 and 5 others like this.
  12. Oct 13, 2020 at 4:36 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    Wow I didn't know they were not a Vendor anymore, but I did see some changing of the guards. I won't go into any of the issues I had with them as it's pointless now.

13. Oct 13, 2020 at 5:00 PM
    m603holden

Member:
    First Name:
    Marteeen
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Lots of sail boat fuel
    Yes that wasn't the case. 3 weeks of talk with everyone but him, the voicemail never being emptied and the phone never being picked up, and the only response he ever gave through email was regarding bolt size and location because we just got a massive mix of hardware for 4 sections of armer, and that was it.

Shortly after I provide pictures of what was wrong, for the second time, was when there was radio silence.

ovrlndkull likes this.
  14. Oct 13, 2020 at 6:59 PM
    Extra Hard Taco

Extra Hard Taco Survivor of the winter of misery and death.

Member:
    First Name:
    R.J.
    Clown World
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR
    ARB Bumper, SOS sliders, rear bumper, and skid plate. OME Lift. Some other stuff.
    I have SOS sliders and rear bumper, never had a problem with the fit, quality, etc.

SOS was one of the major fabricators on TW for a good while and seeing how they are no longer a vendor here something must have happened.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    SR-71A and uploadadventure like this.
  15. Oct 21, 2020 at 8:25 AM
    kpinthebay

kpinthebay Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii ==>>SF Bay Area
    Damn, I must have been hitting the scotch too hard after my Braves lost. This whole thread I was thinking SSO and not SOS.

16. Oct 22, 2020 at 7:21 PM
    uploadadventure

uploadadventure It’s all @ColoradoTJ’s fault

Member:
    Dixon, Mo
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tacoma TRD OR (sold) 05 Duramax
    We’ve already gone over this a few times now in other threads... unfortunately these threads are not available to reference now.

SOS has and will continue to offer to fix any issues with armor as long as the customer did not modify them in any form. (Not attacking any one person)

As far as your complaint about the phone. SOS is a 2 man operation. If they had to answer all the calls there would be no work getting done. They respond to emails. They send out nuts and bolts. If you need a diagram and exact bolt layout then I guess SOS armor isn’t for you. Try another company.

SOS is a good company. I’ve had no issues with any of my armor. Or fitment issues. There are many many many customers who love their SOS products and have ordered repeatedly.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    slcsez2000, pdaddy, Tttacodan and 3 others like this.
  17. Oct 22, 2020 at 7:28 PM
    m603holden

Member:
    First Name:
    Marteeen
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Lots of sail boat fuel
    I mean just because you say it, doesn't mean it's true.

No, they weren't responding to phone calls. No, they weren't responding to emails. It took going through multiple "brand ambassadors" to even get what little communication I could before it was radio silence.

I'm regards to the nuts and bolts comments, we had 6 plates and 2 sets of sliders with hardware specific to the vehicle. Yeah, we needed to know what needed what length bolts so we weren't short changed in other areas.

I'm happy you've got good feelings about them, but after multiple private emails sent to me it's known they have bending issues and also issues locating the mounting holes on their plates, yet they still try to put it back on the customer. That's not really the definition of good customer service, or my favorite...

Screenshot_20201013-170606.jpg

wi_taco likes this.
  18. Oct 22, 2020 at 7:39 PM
    uploadadventure

Member:
    Dixon, Mo
    Vehicle:
    I will be sure to, again, pass on your suggestions of labeling hardware to specific vehicles.

Let me follow up in regards to the emails. I’ll see if they responded to your emails.

Your negative experience is a shame, and will definitely be an opportunity to continue to learn and grow in the aspects of customer service for SOS concepts.

19. Oct 22, 2020 at 7:41 PM
    o0_henry

o0_henry Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD-offroad
    Never had an issue with the streamline bumper. Wish it came with fender washers though. I did not trust the old nuts on those large slots. However the weld on frame brace was an absolute nightmare. The holes weren't concentric, not a huge deal and common with water jet cutters. The problem was they didn’t line up with the bolt pattern. The were off about 1/4”. Most of my issues came from trying to get the old bolts out though

uploadadventure likes this.
  20. Oct 22, 2020 at 7:46 PM
    uploadadventure

Member:
    Dixon, Mo
    Vehicle:
    I agree with the fender washers. No companies sent out fender washers with their stuff. I’ve seen multiple companies armor and it’s been on the owner to replace the front nuts.

Products Discussed in

To Top