1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sound Deadening "Diminishing Returns"

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Jace, Mar 12, 2009.

?

Is it worth it to sound deaden your roof/floor?

1. Worth it!

25 vote(s)
    64.1%
  2. Wasting time...

14 vote(s)
    35.9%
  1. Jun 18, 2009 at 11:11 AM
    ghostboy808

ghostboy808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Silver Mica Prerunner TRD Sport
    Gibson SS, TRD S/C
    Do you really need to cover the inner panel with raamat or will the outer suffice? I'm thinking of adding a layer of luxury liner pro on top to deaden the road noise a bit as well. Do I need to cover every square inch of the door for the raamat to work or can I just apply it in strips?

2. Jun 18, 2009 at 11:18 AM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    Just a tip on Luxury Liner... It's heavy. So, if you plan to put it on any vertical surface without being sandwiched between something, you'll need some strong adhesive. I put it inside all 4 doors with the strongest spray adhesive they sold at Home Depot (3M 90 I think). Stayed put all winter. But when the first round of higher temps (low 80s) hit, I guess it heated up the glue enough to make it lose it's adhesiveness, so the pieces started coming down. You may ask, "How do you know that, Longhorn?". I got sticky shit all over my windows from rolling them down!!!

I haven't taken the time to correct it or remove it because it appears that the pieces that were gonna fall/come lose have done so and are no longer making a mess. But, if it happens again, I'm gonna take it all out.

3. Jun 18, 2009 at 11:20 AM
    Jace

Jace [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 DBL Cab TRD Sport
    Damn dude that blows, all over the windows? Say it ain't so.

Best of luck cleaning that.

4. Jun 18, 2009 at 11:28 AM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    It wasn't hard to clean really, just annoying that I had to do it. Just got a razorblade out and scraped the windows, then broke out the windex.

And the razorblade was necessary only because I was lazy and let it sit there for a week or two before deciding to clean it.... :)

5. Jun 18, 2009 at 12:01 PM
    Jace

Jace [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 DBL Cab TRD Sport
    That's good to hear, so what are you going to do about the deadener?

6. Jun 18, 2009 at 12:10 PM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.

Personal preference. But if you want max benefit, do the inside of the outer panel, and also the inner panel. Take the time to craft filler panels to make the inner panel one solid panel (as much as possible at least), then apply ensolite over the inner panel as well.

Covering the most metal with the mat will give you max benefit. Do you NEED to? Again, personal preference.

7. Jun 18, 2009 at 12:12 PM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.

Check out some upholstry and trim shops for the serious adhesives. We used to use this green stuff (we called it Gorilla snot). Nothing came off if you put in on with that. There is also a red contact adhesive that is used in laminate...serious sticky stuff.

8. Jun 18, 2009 at 12:14 PM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner

I've found that the 3M can 8088 (white can) has always worked very well. I've not had luck with the 70/80/90 series stuff (brown can). Anyone else experienced this?

9. Jun 18, 2009 at 12:21 PM
    LonghornTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Nothing, unless it starts making a mess again. Like I said, right now it's not doing it, so I'm not going to take off my door panels and rip into my Damplifier on the inner panel to get to it...

If it comes to it, I may do that. I just worry about the fumes... When I initially did it, my truck wreaked of that stuff for a couple of weeks!

10. Jun 18, 2009 at 12:34 PM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Good thing though, it does go away. I could deal with that. It's just temp.

11. Jun 18, 2009 at 5:02 PM
    ghostboy808

ghostboy808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Silver Mica Prerunner TRD Sport
    Gibson SS, TRD S/C

How about the stuff they sell when you order the second skin products? Is it the same as the 3m stuff?

This thread has been most helpful, I think I got enough info for the install, hopefully it makes a large enough difference to justify the coin I'll be spending.

12. Jun 18, 2009 at 7:54 PM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Not sure. Never ordered up any second skin. Too pricey for what I need.

13. Sep 27, 2009 at 9:34 AM
    mas32259

mas32259 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NEPA
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 TRD Sport
    TRD short throw shifter, Eibach 1.6" lift coils 5100's on all corners, Ipod interface, Painted engine cover, radiator cover, skid plate, speaker grills overhead console, and added carbon fiber and chrome interior trim (Too much cheap plastic) TRD cat back, LED 3rd brake light. 100 lbs of sound deadner. Infinity ref. 6 1/2 all around. OBX pedals and shifter. DTRL mod, Alt. turn signal mod, LED's in glove box and console, LED's under dash lip and back A/C vent,Weather Tech mats. Took off antenea for wind noise
    I have used polyfill in the pillars, kick panels, dashboard and between the door skin and door where here are gaps that could vibrate,and between any sheet metal sandwich that can' get a sheet of material in. in addition to second skin on all flat surfaces in several trucks. The key is to adsorb the sound wave. Just knock on it before and after. Polyfill is very cheap and even if you do not use any expensive stick on material you will notice right away. I use second skin only on the doors and polyfill the cab. No need to stuff it tight. Knock on it and you will know when you got enough installed.

Products Discussed in

To Top