1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sound Ordnance B-8PT Review!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by rcbs204, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Mar 29, 2012 at 12:38 PM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 [OP] Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    I have had the B-8pt now for awhile, and it is nice for the price, but i to will be upgrading my sub as well to something more substantial :D! I am really used to my to 10" Alpine subs in my G8, and it really fills out the sound. So before too long here, i will have my B-8pt for sale.

2. Apr 2, 2012 at 4:46 AM
    CantSitStill

CantSitStill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FTR
    CNY

Ditto for me... I have had the B-8 for exactly one day. My $.02 reads like this...
    If you have never had a good, well powered 10" sub in your vehicle, you will probably be very happy with this.
    If you have had a good sub, and like to feel some bass in your chest every once in a while (or all the time) , you will not be happy.

I got this since I wanted my entire system to be hidden and the interior of the truck to look stock. I am of the "sleeper" school. Your vehicle should undersell, and overdeliver. Same goes for performance. I would LOVE to find a place to hide my 10" Eclipse sub in the sealer box, but I am not willing to hack the piss out of the interior to make it work. I will deal with the 8 until a better solution is found.

3. Apr 17, 2012 at 8:43 PM
    josef

josef Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DoubleCab
    Just got this guy coming to my house from Crutchfield on sale for $159.99. That INCLUDES the 8 gauge EFX wiring kit (normally sells for $49). I feel like I just stole this thing. :D

4. Apr 18, 2012 at 3:06 AM
    CantSitStill

Member:
    First Name:
    FTR
    CNY
    That's a really good price.

5. Apr 21, 2012 at 6:20 AM
    OneMentalCase

OneMentalCase Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    10 Pyrite LB
  6. May 17, 2012 at 5:35 AM
    josef

josef Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DoubleCab
    okay, so i have this guy all hooked up finally. I cannot wholeheartedly recommend this guy to anyone. It does produce MORE bass than the stock speakers, but after I installed a new Pioneer AVH-P8400BH unit, the stock speakers easily produce better sounding bass than this little sub. The sub is quite boomy. It sucks too b/c I actually spent some time modifying to fit the sub nicely behind the rear seat, making custom brackets, putting the gain knob in a blank, etc. :frusty: The upper (low) frequencies don't sound well at all (63-150hz). And they were right with the freq range- It will Not hit anything below 50hz.. hope you don't like rap/hip-hop. If you haven't had real sound before or if you don't like types of music with a lot of bass, it will probably be fine.. otherwise, you get what you pay for here. I should've known $160 was too good to be true. Lesson learned.

I'll be saving for a nice 10" woofer now & maybe a ********* box.

7. May 17, 2012 at 5:41 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    Not a myth, it is standard practice in electrical wiring to run power cables separate from signal cables. However, the twisted RCA's usually eliminate any interference noise and shouldn't be a problem, especially on a sub.

8. May 17, 2012 at 8:23 AM
    josef

josef Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DoubleCab
    yeah, i ran the power and signal cables together.. used twisted RCA's.. no noise at all.

9. May 17, 2012 at 9:58 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    I don't have any experience with your HU or stock 2nd Gen speakers, but I've listened to a lot of car stereos over the years. That said, I'm very pleased with my B-8PT. (Truth in advertising: I don't listen to much rap/hip-hop.) I'm running off the sub pre-outs of my Kenwood HU. Like you, I wasn't very impressed when I first turned it on. Spending the time to dial it in was key to (my) listening enjoyment.

10. May 18, 2012 at 5:32 AM
    Tommy

Tommy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab SR5 4x4
    Dude, maybe you got a lemon. The B-8pt may not be two 12's but it is light years better than the stockers. I have mine hooked up to an aftermarket head through the sub pre-outs as well. I do listen to some rap so I know what you mean about it not hitting some lows in certain songs, but for me its a small price to pay for the great sounding bass in the majority of music that I listen to, and the fact that it takes up zero space makes it a win win for me.

11. May 18, 2012 at 5:39 AM
    CantSitStill

Member:
    First Name:
    FTR
    CNY
    It really won't do super lows. Perfect little sub if you like blues, guitar bands, jazz. Sucks for techno, rap, hip hop.
    And YES, I do listen to all of the above. Any given day I may go from Hendrix to Bob Marley, to Ratt, to Bass Nectar, to Myles Davis to Eminem.

12. Oct 17, 2012 at 6:29 AM
    geoff7877

geoff7877 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road 4X4 Double Cab
    I've been eyeing this sub for a while. I'm still working on getting a new HU to replace my terrible 2012 SR5 (non JBL) crap stereo. I listen to rock, punk and metal and want a system that can stay clear at higher volumes. Seems like the B-8 would be a good solution.

In order of importance:
    #1. Replace HU
    #2. Add a powered sub
    #3. Replace stock speakers if needed.

I don't need a contest winner. Just a system that doesn't peak out at normal talking volume.

13. Dec 11, 2012 at 6:46 PM
    beardedcanadian

beardedcanadian Member

Member:
    Sutton, MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    KN Intake and new tires.
    Got an Alpine HU, SO B-8PT and all wiring from Crutchfield...going to throw it in my 2012 Taco sometime this week. I have already installed Rockford Fosgate Speakers in the doors. I also got the fit kit for the dash online and total for the setup was under just over $400. The Sub is on sale right now for $149.

I will post my review of the system and sub along with install pictures when completed. This is my first crack at installing anything more than speakers or HU.

14. Dec 12, 2012 at 6:54 AM
    geoff7877

geoff7877 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road 4X4 Double Cab
    Yes please! I'm on indefinite mod hold but I'd love to hear how yours turns out.

15. Dec 14, 2012 at 9:00 PM
    beardedcanadian

beardedcanadian Member

Member:
    Sutton, MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    KN Intake and new tires.
    Installed the Sub today with the new receiver...once I figured out the switches I was surprised. After reading reviews I was expecting something flat sounding, but with some adjusting it actually sounded really good. From country to heavy metal, to Christmas music it sounded great. Not two 12" subs, but definitely worth the money. Or so I thought. I went out tonight to show the wife the new setup and the sub is dead. Crutchfield is sending me out a new one, hopefully it last longer than 10 songs. I have pictures of the install and the new dash kit for the 2012 as well. If I can figure out how to post them I will. Not super happy with the dash kit, the spacing isn't perfect, but it is better than running the stock head unit.

16. Dec 17, 2012 at 7:48 AM
    beardedcanadian

beardedcanadian Member

Member:
    Sutton, MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    KN Intake and new tires.
    Update: Went through the install and found that a wire had come loose...sub is up and running again. Works great, and is a solid piece of hardware.

17. Dec 17, 2012 at 12:06 PM
    06SR5canada

06SR5canada Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 dblcab SR5
    2ndary air filter removed, flowmaster 40
    Speakers shouldn't be producing sub bass in the first place, no offence but I wouldn't waste my time or money on this.

18. Dec 18, 2012 at 5:31 AM
    beardedcanadian

beardedcanadian Member

Member:
    Sutton, MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    KN Intake and new tires.
    No offence taken...if you were talking to me. Mine isn't hooked up through the speakers, and IMHO it is more than worth the money. For $150 with the install kit included, it can't be beat. Is it as good as a seperate amp and sub or two, no. That isn't what it is intended for. You can definitely get a better setup for more money and more "custom" install, but for the space that I have in my Taco, it is a value. It fills out the sounds system enough for my tastes.

If you want to shake houses as you drive by, then go with something larger.

19. Dec 18, 2012 at 5:49 AM
    06SR5canada

06SR5canada Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 dblcab SR5
    2ndary air filter removed, flowmaster 40
    Buddy just finished saying is doesn't even reproduce the frequencies a subwoofer should. I'd much rather spend the money on going active.

20. Oct 16, 2013 at 12:59 AM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    You guys who have this sub, how do you like it?
    I'm looking for a sub to fill in my sound system a little, i listen to country music and would like a little more bass than what the speaker give.

To Top