1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sounds like a bad Pulley - Wish it was

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lucky, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Feb 6, 2010 at 1:45 AM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    That looks cooked to me. Oil shouldn't leave a residue like that in an area where it is constantly flowing.

Someone did a study and posted results of various filter brands with some interesting results. Frams were pretty much crap as mentioned previously. Cardboard and glue is on the inside of these filters. From what I remember, Supertech (Wal-Mart brand) did well and Purolator Pure One filters were up there with the best. The high-dollar Mobil 1s were ranked high as well. The guy disassembled the cans, measured the filter media, counted pleats, and looked at the bypass/drainback valves in his report.

2. Feb 6, 2010 at 5:06 AM
    TREY4x4

TREY4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Dacula, GA
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Sport 4x4 DBCB, 2010 TRD OR 4x4 DBCB
    Bilstein 5100's front/back set at 1.75", Pioneer AVIC110-BT head unit, JL 6x9 front and Alpine 6.5 rear, OEM bed mat, Weathertech floor mats, OEM sill protectors, Window tint, N-Fab side steps

I'm wondering about this too.

A problem like this has me worried. I have the supplemental engine oil cooler, would it help prevent this problem? Are there aftermarket oil pumps I can purchase?

I purchased my vehicle with a lifetime warranty, so I'm getting all my work done at the dealer now.

3. Feb 6, 2010 at 5:09 AM
    Mr_Torque

Mr_Torque Buy the Ticket take the Ride.....

Member:
    Perkasie,PA
    Vehicle:
    '07 Tacoma SR5 4WD V-6 6 Spd
    MBRP Exhaust, 17" FJ Steelies w/Firestone AT's, Truxedo Lopro ,Timbren SES, Pioneer FH-X720BT HU & TS-C720PRS Component Speakers, TRD Quickshifter, Bilstein 6112/5160, Light Racing UCA, and Icon Progressive add a leaf.
  4. Feb 6, 2010 at 5:37 AM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    WTF!! The majority of us bought toyota cause of reliabilty. First it was the sticking gas pedals now this. What else can we do other than wait for the "Bad pulley noise"? I hear a tapping when I step on the gas, but I just wrote that off as a the infamous engine tick should i be concerned? Do you have a link to some kind of case number/documents where we can show the dealer like we do w/TSBs?

5. Feb 6, 2010 at 6:58 AM
    drdtrd2009

drdtrd2009 New Member

Member:
    AR
    Vehicle:
    09 trd sport
    The picture of the front of that block shows a tube from the bottom to the top is this oil supply to that side of the block? If it is take it off could be o ring seal that has gone out that would cause a pressure problem. Just my 2 cents

6. Feb 6, 2010 at 4:08 PM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner

Check the dust shield on the output of the transmission over the propeller shaft slip joint.

I will bet you it is rubbing and it can change from power on to power off.

You can put the rear axle on jack stands so the rear tires can spin free. Let it idle in gear and grab that dust shield and put a little pressure on it in different directions and I will bet you will find it is rubbing.

It is just a friction fit installation and you can shift it around so it does not rub.

G

7. Feb 6, 2010 at 4:36 PM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner
    The oil leaves the pump and travels up that tube you see inside of the timing cover then leaves the timing cover and goes out to the filter mount. It comes back in through that port you see in the timing cover with the O-ring seal. It then goes into the driver's side cylinder head. From there I do not know what the path is, but it would seem odd that it would not lube that side of the engine first, but go to the other side then come back.

Lubrication problems are not that unusual. I have seen a few problems related to insufficent oil volume on the 4.7L V8, but it is not a huge problem. If you make enough engines, a few will have a problem, that is a given.

Where the real problem is, is how Toyota takes care of these problems. Why they just won't replace the engine is beyond me. In the volume they do and as much trust as customers put into the Toyota brand name, you would think they would deal with this kind of thing in the most positive way. Instead, we have one customer that will not buy Toyota again and others with great concern.

A friend of mine had this happen in his Honda. He was just out of warranty. Guess how Honda handled it. They put a new engine in his car with NO hassle at all, OUT OF WARRANTY.

G

8. Feb 6, 2010 at 6:08 PM
    FoxRacR17

FoxRacR17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 SR5 DoubleCab Short Bed
    Fox 2.5 C/O's, Fox 2.0 rear shocks, toytec 1.5" AAL, TC UCA's, blue/white dashboard lights, seatbelt chime removed, Synthetic leather armrests, WO seat covers front and back, Goodyear Wranger Duratrac 285/70/17, KMC XD Addict 17x9 rims
    All these issues with Toyota is really starting to concern me. After reading this i am regretting buying a Tacoma. If my truck starts making noise, i'm trading it in for a Raptor.

9. Feb 6, 2010 at 8:32 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Sorry but this.....
    [​IMG]

is not oil pump failure so people should stop panic. Its not filter failure probably either. That looks like somebody poured some crap instead of oil... while engine was running.

10. Feb 6, 2010 at 8:34 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
  11. Feb 6, 2010 at 10:52 PM
    SkyHighTacoma

SkyHighTacoma Josh

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Brazoria County Texas
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB SR5 MGM
    ^^ :confused: and x2 check the little stuff that could need regreasing..

12. Feb 7, 2010 at 6:13 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Yea one thing that gives a way fact that this can not be engine related is the fact that it starts around 50 MPH while RPMS are the same. That is more likely to be something like U-joint giving grief. And since Toyota service is very often too lazy to grease them when they replace oil that my be it.
    :)

13. Feb 7, 2010 at 6:54 AM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Truck in the video is a pre-Runner. Didn't think they had zerks on the drive-shaft?

14. Feb 7, 2010 at 7:11 AM
    MGRS

MGRS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '20 Tundra OR
    :eek: Never seen a prerunner underneath, but that can't be true.

15. Feb 7, 2010 at 7:27 AM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
  16. Feb 7, 2010 at 7:39 AM
    MGRS

MGRS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '20 Tundra OR
    I'll be damned. Learned something new today:D

17. Feb 7, 2010 at 8:46 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    Ha that is bizarre and cheap :eek:

18. Feb 8, 2010 at 10:14 PM
    7A7ER

7A7ER FLYNN LIVES!

Member:
    AL
    Vehicle:
    '05 Radiant Red Tacoma XCab PreRunner TRD
    Removed Step Bars, Hood Visor, OEM Bed Mat, Window Tint, Fog Lights Anytime, BFG All-Terrain KO2s, Removed Mud Flaps, Add A Leaf Recall, Color-Matched Grill and Bumper& Plasti-Dipped Badges!
    That is an interesting theory ya got there BlueT...could you be more specific as to what kind of "crap" you think might have been poured into the engine instead of oil?

19. Feb 9, 2010 at 9:24 AM
    lucky

lucky [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NB, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunnerX4
    The only thing I've put in the engine is Mobile1 synthetic. Had a few oil chnages done by dealer earlier in the truck's life. Although they may not have put synthetic in it when I asked and paid for it, it seems reasonable to assume they at least put new oil in it.

The black residue you see is baked on, it doesnt just wipe off. I think over time, some of the black residue did start to release, as evidenced by the trail of it leading down the timing cover, but it had to have been gradual.

20. Feb 9, 2010 at 10:11 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    It could be really anything. First guess would be power steering fluid since oil fill's proximity to power steering tank. Or somebody was trying to do engine flush. Dont know but that really looks like something poured and got scortched. I know Synthetic oil would not do that before whole engine become blue. So it had to be some crappy mineral oil that did that.
    one thing people need to be carefull is that in some stores people open Mobil bottles, drain some of the oil and refill with whatever they find. I had bought oil like that from Autozone. I did not pour into the engine since I saw seal broken. Now I check seals right in the store.
    I also have 4 gallons of suspicious Mobil 1 5-30 Truck&SUV from Walmart. Oil was sealed but after pouring to two cars engines become much louder. So I drained them and refilled with fresh oil. I am keeping oil in case I have potential problems as the proof.

Products Discussed in

To Top