1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sounds like a belt squeel when it starts cold.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by PRBond, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Feb 1, 2012 at 12:25 PM
    PRBond

PRBond [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD PreRunner
    3" ToyTec suspension kit, AEM Air Intake, Uniden 510 CB, 265 X 75 X 16 BFG AT's
    Guys,
    I'm looking for some feedback from anyone who has experienced this and how they solved it... Basically when I first start my truck and it is cold, I get what sounds like a small belt squeel. It goes away very quickly, but while it is still cold my motor sounds like it has a low belt squeek. (If you're sitting inside the truck with the doors and windows closed, you can't even hear it.) After the truck has warmed up a bit, it seems to be gone.

Now, I've had my belts checked recently and the mechanic told me that they were, "Fine" and didn't need replacing. But, little noises like this drive me nuts and I'm a stickler for my truck to be mechaincally sound.... The way I see it, I've got 167,000 miles and I'd love to be driving this truck at 300,000 miles.

Is there something I can spray on the belts that may stop this, or should I just replace my belts anyway?

2. Feb 1, 2012 at 1:16 PM
    cdyblnd

cdyblnd Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5
    Tow hitch, K & N intake, Firestone Destination A/T, Xentec 8000k hid kit, Magnaflow cats, Gibson Cat back, TRD wheels, Bilstein suspension upgrade
    My Tacoma does that on occasion, not so much when I start it, but if I drive for a while and sit and idle.

3. Feb 1, 2012 at 1:26 PM
    AlphaEcho2k5

AlphaEcho2k5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Hurlburt Field, FL
    Vehicle:
    '02 4Runner
    I had a similar issue with belts squeaking. I tightened up my idler puller and the noise went away.

4. Feb 1, 2012 at 2:00 PM
    JEP

JEP Resident Lurker

Member:
    Madison
    Vehicle:
    15 DBL V6 4WD
    N-fabs, BakFlip VP, power tailgate lock, bed lights, "raptor" grill lights. Standard mall crawler stuff.
    My 2011 does that sometimes when I start it when it the engine is cold and it's like 20 deg. or lower outside.

5. Feb 1, 2012 at 2:06 PM
    SCTacomaCA

SCTacomaCA Active Member

Member:
    Had the same thing happen, mechanic told me the belt looked good. Had him replace it anyways and the squeel was gone

Products Discussed in

To Top