1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Southern California City Says Home Bible Group Must Get Permit

Discussion in 'Personal & Emotional Support' started by Packman73, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Mar 17, 2010 at 4:36 PM
    Packman73

Packman73 [OP] ^^^^ 3%er ^^^^

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    The free state of Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Only in Kali. :rolleyes:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/03/17/southern-california-city-says-home-bible-group-permit/

RANCHO CUCAMONGA, Calif. -- For the second time in six months, the city has ordered a group of Christian worshippers who meet inside homes to get a permit or shut down.

It's the latest incident in which religious groups in Southern California have been targeted by cities for home gatherings, though many of those groups were eventually allowed to meet without obtaining permits.

Rancho Cucamonga is trying to halt Friday night meetings at a home after receiving a complaint in February from a neighbor that 40 to 60 people were gathering weekly in the San Bernardino County location.

Officials said the homeowner needs a conditional use permit by Good Friday, April 2, to operate a church in a residential area.

Pacific Justice Institute, a nonprofit legal defense group that specializes in conservative Christian issues, said the meetings were actually a Bible study group that usually draws about 15 people.

The permit requires public hearings, traffic studies and other costly procedures. Requiring one would be "manifestly absurd and unjust," according to a statement Tuesday from Brad Dacus, president of the Sacramento-based institute.

The city doesn't require permits for similar-sized gatherings, "everything from birthday parties to the weekend beer bash," added Matt McReynolds, an institute attorney.

His organization intends to file an appeal with the city and hopes to avoid going to court, McReynolds said.

Kurt J. Keating, the city's code enforcement supervisor, said the city is trying to restrict church services held in private homes, not home Bible studies.

"There's also some supporting facts that they are advertising themselves as a church over the public domain, such as the Internet," Keating said.
    The group is affiliated with Shiloh Tabernacle Church, a local nonprofit run by Puredi Hillary Ministries Inc. According to its Web site, the church stresses "miracles of healing, deliverance from demonic oppression and possession, re-dedications and most importantly, salvations."

Last September, complaints by neighbors about traffic problems prompted the city to order Joe and Diana Johnson to get a church permit or shut down Christian gatherings at their home. The city eventually allowed the meetings to continue without a permit.

Also last year, San Diego County apologized to a pastor and his wife who were cited and told to get a permit for a weekly Bible study session that drew five to 27 people to their Bonita home.

Officials said the citation should never have been issued and a permit was not required.

2. Mar 17, 2010 at 4:41 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    This is not a California issue, its a community issue.

If the church group is impacting the neighborhood, the solution is simple, they need to rent a room from another church or other business with space.

Two or three dollars in the basket ought to be enough to cover rent. :cool:

3. Mar 17, 2010 at 5:19 PM
    Packman73

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    Bilstein 5100's (front set @ .85"), OME 885's, chris4x4 anti-Taco-lean spacer on driver's side, Total Chaos UCAs, Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Toytec AALs, Black FJ TT Wheels, BFG 285/75R 16 AT Tires, TRD Exhaust, Viper Alarm, Fog Light Mod, De-badged, Blue LED Dome Light, EZ Clamped Tailgate, Wet Okoles, Satoshi Grill, 5% Tint, Engine Tick Fix, Black Rear Bumper, Black Center Valence, Exhaust Cut At Axle, Thanks for all the help chris4x4!
    Imagine if they tried this with Muslims.

4. Mar 17, 2010 at 5:25 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    WAY THE HELL OUT THERE, So Cal
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    I would agree but its Rancho Cucamunga... Its not "small" little town....

i kind of agree... its probably some dumb ass trying to get attention... it wasnt like they were being "disorderly" or anything....

5. Mar 17, 2010 at 5:30 PM
    Packman73

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    There has been a continued attack on Christianity in this country for a while now. This story may not be a good example but the double standard is getting ridiculous.

6. Mar 17, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    yea and i agree... it sucks.... i think it had something to do with that punk ass obama... i already dont like him and arnold cuz there fucking me over in school...

7. Mar 17, 2010 at 6:53 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Perhaps you misunderstood my post? It is a community issue. The houses on the street form the community. I was not suggesting Rancho Cucamunga is small (I'm from San Diego).

If it was my street that was impacted, I'd be extremely vocal about solving the problem at hand. I don't care if they are a Saints or the nastiest people that ever lived. Either way, a solution must be found, and renting a room is the obvious solution.

8. Mar 17, 2010 at 6:55 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Holy smokes. This is a 2 miles from me.

9. Mar 17, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    Packman73

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    I hear ya. I wasn't Bush's biggest fan but at least I was working then.:rolleyes:

10. Mar 17, 2010 at 8:14 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    My only issue with this would be if 60 people tried to gather down my block and blocked up all the roads. Other than that have a blast, I assume they were doing their chruch things indoors not bothering a soul.

11. Mar 17, 2010 at 9:17 PM
    magikbean562

magikbean562 once flirted with danger, danger got clingy

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    socal
    Vehicle:
    pinto
    33" mudders

exactly, the neighbor reported it and the media blew it out of proportion. want to meet and talk about jeebus, go to church. dont clog up residential streets and take up all the parking:cool: i live in a neighborhood with mostly street parking. add an additional 20 cars and id be f*cked if i got home at the wrong time. id be pissed too. :mad:

12. Mar 17, 2010 at 9:40 PM
    Packman73

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Off Road
    The first amendment protects their right to assemble regardless of available parking spots.

13. Mar 17, 2010 at 10:20 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    yea no worries man... i dont mean to piss or disrespect anyone... yea thats my bad... but u gotta point it something that i think got blown way outta proportion...

14. Mar 17, 2010 at 10:44 PM
    SoCalBlack08

SoCalBlack08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC
    x2

it also protect the residents right to complain...

15. Mar 17, 2010 at 10:51 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    In my area, an extra 10 cars would fuck up the parking situation. It's already bad enough as-is. Would I be mad that 100 people are gathering in somebody's house? Of course not! Would I be mad because I have to park 3 blocks away? You bet.

16. Mar 17, 2010 at 10:53 PM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    My point is that either way, somebody loses. :p

17. Mar 17, 2010 at 11:04 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    honestly thats a valid point...

18. Mar 17, 2010 at 11:21 PM
    CVR6

CVR6 Active Member

Member:

Something to do with Obama? You do realize that he is a Christian right? Don't let your politics pollute your faith. In regards to the larger picture, you can blame Obama for not fixing it, but then you have to blame Bush for breaking it, and afterwards we should all kick are own asses. Lets not fall for the sensationalist media trap on this one, we are all more intelligent than this.

In regards to THIS PARTICULAR case being an attack on Christianity is a little nuts. It sounds like it just got too popular, which I think is great for their group, but bad for the location. It possibly violated fire/traffic/home owner code and at the least was an annoyance for the neighbors on the street. Prayer group, boy scouts, mary kay, whatever it doesn't matter.

If I did have to lay some blame it would be on these brainwashing so called news networks on both the left and the right. I can only hope our children are not lemmings like the rest of us. :cool:

19. Mar 18, 2010 at 9:10 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.

I'd be hauling cars out of the way. They'd better be praying I go in the house before they come out. Sounds mean but if you block my drive, its trouble. I can see the residents point of view, wish the news crews could a better job reporting actual events.

20. Mar 18, 2010 at 9:30 AM
    steelerfan7p

steelerfan7p My other car is a Bugatti

Member:
    First Name:
    Yes
    Fairmont, WV (1 Hour South of the City of Champi
    Vehicle:
    Non-TRD, Non-SR5, Non- Prerunner
    Rear Leaf Spring TSB, Metra IPod Adapter, AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter, I was added to the truck to make it better, so does that count as a Mod?
    I don't care if they issued a citation to a church group.... as long as they issue one to the next house that has a birthday party, or Thanksgiving dinner, or a cookout..... If parking and fire codes are the issue, it should apply to everything.

To Top