1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spacer Lift Questions?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by billas333, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Nov 14, 2008 at 9:28 PM
    billas333

billas333 [OP] They Still Love To Hate Me! - T.O.

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    Mods so far: Tube steps from toyota, Bed extender from toyota, Spare Tire lock, Sound System Makeover, Tacoma All-Weather heavy duty rubber floor mats. Rear TSB, Icon Coilovers w/ TC UCA's and 3inch rear block with rear 5100 bilstein shocks, Black Headlights, Grillcraft black grill, Devil Horns from Andres, Black Headlights, Chrome Liquid Metal Gatlins Wheels, 285/70R17 Nitto Tera Grapplers, Wet Okole Seat Covers! Seat Belt Chime Mod, Flowmaster 50 series dual exhaust, Debadged tailgate, TRD Decals, HID hi/low + fogs.
    Ok I basically decided on going with a spacer lift and gonna do the install myself with some help. I am not really going for performance as I basically do some snow traveling in the winter for snowboarding and what not. No major off roading to date.

My Questions?

Readylifts is offering a spacer lift kit for 229.95 that gives 3inches of lift in the front and a 1inch block in the back and differntial drop.

Toytec is offering a spacer lift kit for 249.99 that gives 3inches in the front and a 1.5inch block in the back or a 2inch AAL????? Plus 29.99 more for differential drop.

Now what I do not get is whats the advantage/disadvantage of the AAL? The AAL I would assume will add more heigh to the lift when compared to the 1.5inch block and I also assume that the Toytec lift is 0.5inches higher than the readylift kit.

am I correct in my thinking? and can someone explain the AAL vs block for me. The more info you can provide I appreciate. thanks

Weird how I can wire my entire truck for sounds but know nothing about lifts HAHA

2. Nov 14, 2008 at 9:49 PM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
  3. Nov 14, 2008 at 9:54 PM
    billas333

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    Mods so far: Tube steps from toyota, Bed extender from toyota, Spare Tire lock, Sound System Makeover, Tacoma All-Weather heavy duty rubber floor mats. Rear TSB, Icon Coilovers w/ TC UCA's and 3inch rear block with rear 5100 bilstein shocks, Black Headlights, Grillcraft black grill, Devil Horns from Andres, Black Headlights, Chrome Liquid Metal Gatlins Wheels, 285/70R17 Nitto Tera Grapplers, Wet Okole Seat Covers! Seat Belt Chime Mod, Flowmaster 50 series dual exhaust, Debadged tailgate, TRD Decals, HID hi/low + fogs.
    yea I have read that 10 times making my decision haha. So AAL will increase load capacity and 2inches of height versus the block which will jsut add 1.5inches???

4. Nov 14, 2008 at 9:59 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    The rear blocks serve no purpose other than adding height. Also, you'll get axle wrap using the rear blocks. Start busting u bolts if you torque it at all.

5. Nov 14, 2008 at 10:46 PM
    billas333

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    explain what u mean by torque it? I maybe thinking scientific and not mechanically

6. Nov 14, 2008 at 11:24 PM
    05TRDTACO

05TRDTACO Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma DC-silver TRD Off-Road
    Fabtech 6" lift, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks, TRD air filter, TRD exhaust, Optima redtop battery, 18% tint all around, debadged, fog light mod, power plugs hot all the time mod, Streamlight Stinger mounted behind seat, Viper 5704v security system and remote start, rear diff breather mod, & auxiliary fuse box
    I did the readylift 3" lift and I'm loving it! Rides pretty much just like stock and the CV's don't have very much angle on them. My last Tacoma was a 99' and I did a similar 3" lift with 1" diff. drop and the CV axles still had quite a bit of angle to them, this kit does not:)

The only thing I did different from readylifts kit is I put it an 1.5" block instead of a 1". 1" is not enough lift in the rear in my opinion! I've done aal's before and I'm kinding digging the block on my truck. Keeps the ride and gives you the look, but I don't do much off-road myself either. I bought mine from Autoanything for $229 and it was shipped fast and was by far the cheapest price.

I think if you go with this kit or the Toytec you will be very satisfied with the outcome. good luck man

7. Nov 14, 2008 at 11:42 PM
    billas333

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    Ok I would agree another 0.5inches is better but did u buy the whole sst lift kit and then add seperate blocks and u bolts? or what?

8. Nov 14, 2008 at 11:47 PM
    LonghornTaco

LonghornTaco Can you pass the bailout please?

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    Black 09 4x4 TRD Off Road Doublecab
    3" ToyTec coilover lift on Bilstein 5100s, Total Chaos UCAs, ToyTec diff drop, Scangauge II, 4D MagLite mounted on the drivers seat, Painted engine cover, Painted calipers (red), Painted skid plate (red) Valentine 1 radar detector hard wired, Damplifier Pro on the floor, back wall and doors, Luxury Liner Pro on the floor and doors, Kenwood DNX8120, 2 Pioneer TS-SW1041D 10" shallow mount subs, 2 Pioneer PRS-D4200F 1200W amps, Mr Marv sub enclosure, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5" components in the front doors, Alpine 5.25" coaxials in the rear doors, A.R.E. LSII fiberglass tonneau cover, All Pro bumper, All Pro sliders, Wet Okole seat covers, Sockmonkey Mountain badges, PIAA 510 SMR Driving Lights, Warn M8000 Winch, Bud Built skids
    The way axle wrap was explained to me was that your rear axle isn't 100% stationary when it comes to forward and backward motion. It will twist a little bit. So, if you are ever turning your rear tires and there is any resistance in their movement, that is putting torque on your rear axle because it is twisting just enough to put pressure on those blocks and their u bolts. So, it won't take much torque to snap the ubolts.

Of course, the larger the block the easier it will be to snap. That being said, the guy from ToyTec told me that as long as your block is 1" or less, you are probably ok.

I just know A LOT of the more seasoned people on this forum recommend against blocks. That's why I went with an AAL. Why chance it?? :)

Please, if someone more mechanically inclined than I sees anything wrong with this explanation, holler and correct me!

9. Nov 14, 2008 at 11:49 PM
    05TRDTACO

05TRDTACO Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Fabtech 6" lift, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks, TRD air filter, TRD exhaust, Optima redtop battery, 18% tint all around, debadged, fog light mod, power plugs hot all the time mod, Streamlight Stinger mounted behind seat, Viper 5704v security system and remote start, rear diff breather mod, & auxiliary fuse box
    yeah I bought the full SST kit and I had fabtech 1.5"' blocks and u-bolts brand new from my old truck that I had never used so it worked out pretty well for me. If you want an 1.5" block in the back I'd probably just buy everything from Toytec-They are great:) If I hadn't had those blocks that probably would be the lift under my truck right now! But since I did and since I bought my lift on election day when Auotanything was having a sale I got my whole lift for $204 so it was quite a bit cheaper than the toytec for a very similar spacer lift.

10. Nov 14, 2008 at 11:52 PM
    billas333

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    thats awesome man. do u got any pics of how it looks??? I never cared about woring my old tacoma cause it was a 2wd pos haha but not i got the 4x4 brand new i want to do everything myself and make sure i do it right

11. Nov 14, 2008 at 11:58 PM
    05TRDTACO

05TRDTACO Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    yeah man I can try and take some pics tomorrow and post them. And I agree with what jason said about the AAL vs. blocks but where you say you don't do much off roading (like me:)) the axle wrap probably won't be an issue and your truck will ride better. My 99" was so stiff with a AAL! If I would have gotten a long AAL from Toytec it would not have been so bad but still it is a harsher ride then blocks.

To Top