1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

spare key for surfing purposes?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 6spd, May 16, 2012.

1. May 18, 2012 at 3:50 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    mine had a tiny hole that you could see metal as well, could just be to reinforce it, but if someone could let us know, it'd be educational for most of us

2. May 18, 2012 at 5:19 PM
    Bendernut

Bendernut Active Member

Member:
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 6MT
    I drove around today looking for a spare key to be made. The local Ace Hardware ran out of "chipped" keys, which ran for around $40. Lowes doesn't even cut them. I called the local...dealership...and they had them in stock for $67 per key plus $99 to program them. Its a key, thats it.:mad: Anyway, I'm going to do what most owners seem to do and get a cheap key for entry and store my other set in the truck.

3. May 18, 2012 at 5:25 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    i think walmart sells chipped keys for like 25 or 40 not pos though

4. May 18, 2012 at 5:34 PM
    zul

zul Professional Goofball

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, Color-matched Grille, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails, RokBlokz mud flaps WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Steel bed cage
    The back of the card says it will not start the ignition. But I will test later. I havent even inserted it into a lock yet to be honest... Regardless, I think the point of the wallet key is so that if you lock your keys in your truck you can get to them. Which is kind of hard to do to be honest.. my truck wont let me lock it with any of the doors open, unless I use the button on the driver's door.

5. May 18, 2012 at 5:37 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    yea i doubt it would, but i haven't seen it tried, but u said on the key "They key itself says "Door/Ign." " so i was curious, u should also be able to lock it with the passenger side power lock too even if the doors are open

6. May 18, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    tacomafide

tacomafide Cheese it in there!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport+Leather Pkg.
    de-badged, de-stickered, no jewlery, level kit (removed after second front dif), tint, skid plate (now dented), front tow hook off of Land Cruzer, reciever d hook (cleavis), yellow wire mod, abs kill sw. mod, window visors, stubby antena, anytime reverse lights mod, anytime reverse camera mod, blizzacks on stealies, bed lights mod, weathertec mats allround,
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337387770.001686.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337387857.710714.jpg

Here is what inside "chip key" looks like.
    Dog ate the rubber off when she was a puppy

7. May 18, 2012 at 5:45 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    awesome! i'm seeing it for first time now, thanks

8. May 18, 2012 at 5:49 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I have personally cut the rubber head off of a key. That chip is pretty well sealed, and probably would never be a problem taking it in the water.

Both black head and grey head keys are chipped. The grey one is programmed as a "valet" key so that a valet can't take your key and get a copy made. You have to have a black head "master" key to program a new key. In addition, you must have ALL keys with you when the new key is programmed, or the computer will not recognize the existing keys.

I don't surf, but I have gone rafting and taken the rental car's key with me inside a ziploc bag. The bag leaked, not a lot, but it did have water in it after the six hour trip. The key worked fine.

My company Tacoma is a non transponder equipped truck. The key itself appears the same except for the rubber grip. I see no reason why you couldn't get a non chipped key cut just to open the door. I have done that with a Ford Ranger before, no problems. Aside from the argument from the locksmith or hardware store guys.:rolleyes: If you do this, refrain from trying to start the truck with the non chipped key, there is a rumor that this will lock out the computer on some vehicles. If that happens, you're in for an expensive day.

9. May 18, 2012 at 5:54 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Shop around. I bought key blanks on Ebay for 25 bucks or so (OEM Toyota). The locksmith charges like, 3 or 4 bucks to cut a key. My local dealer charges a half an hour labor to program. I had all the keys I thought I would ever need done at the same time.:D

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. May 18, 2012 at 5:57 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    that doesn't sound true to me, but i have yet to have one cut, so i don't really know

11. May 18, 2012 at 5:59 PM
    joes06tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    That is what the dealer told me. You start with a single master to initiate the process, then follow with all other keys until complete. I suppose they could be mistaken, but I followed instructions, brought them all in and everything works as it should.

There was someone on here awhile ago that reported having a key cut and programmed at a hardware store. Not sure how that works, maybe they are "cloning" the existing key's chip?

12. May 18, 2012 at 6:07 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    it wouldn't make sense for that to be true, because you want extra keys incase you lose any of them, my brother got one done at walmart, no problems for his chipped honda key

13. May 18, 2012 at 7:24 PM
    6spd

6spd [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2023 4x4
    Lotsa ideas here. I had two keys made at the local home depot and they both wont open my truck door. The cost was minimal(<$5 for both). Ill probably try again with a different brand key, and of that dont work, maybe hit up a locksmith... or another home depot, lowes, etc...

14. May 18, 2012 at 7:33 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    if the keys don't work, they'll give you your money back, just let them know

15. May 30, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    They must not be cutting the key correctly. I had two non-chip key cut at pepboys and they both work in opening the doors. They do not start the truck though. I tried it.

16. May 31, 2012 at 7:09 PM
    PL 4x4

PL 4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    PL
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD: 2011 4WD MGM DCLB
    Eibach Coils, Bilsteins at .85, 1/4" Toytec Spacers both sides, 2" AAL and Bilsteins on rear. Completely debadged, yellow wire mod, rear diff breather relocate.
    I've had mine out plenty of times with no problems. However, I do find myself constantly checking to make sure it's still there. Another thing I do is always carry my driver's license, especially if I'm surfing alone. ...just in case.

17. May 31, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    6spd

6spd [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2023 4x4
    Ended up going to a locksmith. Both spares work. Never tried starting the vehicle with them, though.

18. Jul 6, 2012 at 9:53 AM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
    i know this is a few months old, but just fyi for anybody

home depot

$1.97 non transponder key
    $70 transponder key with programming

i had a non-transponder key cut, put it in the car, turns on acc, and does not start it, but if you hold ur transponder key close enough, then it'll start

19. Jul 7, 2012 at 12:49 PM
    tacobot

tacobot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oakland!
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    My Tacoma is used and it only came with one key.

Thanks to this thread I'm getting a couple metal keys made for just opening the door while kayaking/running and the "real" key is kept in the glovebox.

Checking EBay for those programmable OEM keys too; if instead of only 1 $150 key, I can get 2 keys made for $150 (programming is $90 + dealer charges $60 for blank keys) I'll be a happier girl. Just typing "2 keys for $150" makes me grimace, though!

I love the plastic wallet keys, never seen that before, none of my Hondas came w/that.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  20. Jul 7, 2012 at 12:56 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    If you have a pocket. Wrap it in a ziploc bag. That might work.

Products Discussed in

To Top