1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spare key, options?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 993guy, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Oct 8, 2014 at 9:50 AM
    993guy

993guy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Near Jacksonville, FL
    I scuba dive and I know salt water wold not be kind to a spare key and fob. What are my options for keeping a spare either on the truck or with me?

Truck is a 2014 Tacoma

1) I have a trailer "hitch safe" so that is an option but don't want to stash my primary key in there and don't want to be seen putting the key in there in the parking lot every time.
    http://www.amazon.com/HitchSafe-HS7...4&sr=1-1&keywords=HitchSafe+HS7000T+Key+Vault

2) Does Toyota make a plastic spare key that will only open the door? This is the preferable option for the key to stash in the "hitch safe".

3) Anyone know how much the "typical" dealer charges to cut a spare key? Is the spare key chipped to the VIN?

I would call the dealer but the last time I talked to the parts folks I wasn't real impressed with their knowledge of anything more than the standard basic parts issues.

2. Oct 8, 2014 at 9:55 AM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    Go to your local Walmart and have a non-chipped key made. I have one. Unlocks the doors, but doesn't start the truck. Atleast it works for my '07.

3. Oct 8, 2014 at 10:32 AM
    993guy

993guy [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Near Jacksonville, FL
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that.

4. Oct 8, 2014 at 12:31 PM
    outdoorgb

outdoorgb (.)(.)

Member:
    Burbs of Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Sport Silver Sky...
    I added a bolt once...
    I keep a spare (lock only) key wired under my truck on the frame. Inside plastic bag and coated with Break Free...it's a "just in case I need to get in" key.

Now, I've been told but cannot confirm, NEVER use this unchipped key to try and start your rig...it could, may, can, will??? diable the ignition system.

Or, try it an let me know if it works or not:thumbsup:

5. Oct 8, 2014 at 12:45 PM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    Once again, I can't confirm for the year, but not an issue on my truck. Tried to make sure it wouldn't start with the chipped key in the truck. With the chipped key infront of the shifter, it WILL start. But with key under the seat, it wouldn't.
    No problem when I put the chipped key back in to start it.

6. Oct 8, 2014 at 12:59 PM
    nammer

nammer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nam
    Bradenton, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Wishing I had a Taco
  7. Oct 11, 2014 at 7:17 PM
    chaeki

chaeki Member

Member:
    Put your key in a small pelican case and then put that inside your zipped up bcd pocket

CaptainBart45 likes this.
  8. Oct 11, 2014 at 8:06 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    I have the Safe Hitch ... as an engineer I am quite impressed with the workmanship and security ... no way in hell can some wannabe thief break into it ... not even the thief with break in tools ... it's that tight.

9. Oct 12, 2014 at 4:45 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah -----------

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Lexington, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '24 4R ORP
    Base and SR5 and probably others (SR, maybe?) don't have chipped keys. My 2012 SR5 starts and runs with a metal copy, no problem. But regardless of chip or no chip, a copied key will unlock the door.

I keep a spare key duct taped to the back of my license plate so that I can bend the plate up and access the key without tools, if I need to.

10. Oct 12, 2014 at 5:12 AM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    I used to scuba dive a lot in the Pacific Northwest. I just kept a key to my topper and an "open only" key tied to my BC and stuffed in a pocket. My fob key was stuffed somewhere in the cab of my pickup where it would have taken some time to find if anyone broke in. I never had a single instance of someone trying to steal from me while actually diving in ten years. However, Florida might be different, as it was when one returned from diving to one of the cities of the West Coast, where you had to watch your belongings constantly.

11. Oct 12, 2014 at 7:18 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    My '12 base has a chipped key. I have spare door only keys made from the hardware store. I gave a buddy a door only key when we were hunting, chipped key was in the truck. He didn't know and tried to start the truck with the door only key. He said he turned it over several times. The starter turns, but no ignition. No problem after that starting it with the chipped key. Nothing was disabled.

12. Oct 12, 2014 at 11:46 AM
    oceanslide

oceanslide Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    Oceanside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Access Cab
    5100s, OME 885
    I've surfed 100s of times with my key in my wetsuit stash pocket, no problems. Why not just use the hitch safe? Who cares if they see you, they can't get in it.

13. Oct 12, 2014 at 1:40 PM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    Tacoma keys are likely splash resistant but I don't think that they are pressure rated to six atmospheres.

reallifedog likes this.
  14. Oct 12, 2014 at 2:16 PM
    nut

nut she'll ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Totaled
    TRD SKEWP DCSB 4x4 Silver Mica | URD TCAI/MAF CAL | BHLM | GrillCraft | FF Sliders | LED's All Around | 12v Constant On | EGR In Channel | 15% Tint | Trimmed mud flaps | Fog Light Anytime Mod | Debadged | Tailgate Hoseclamp | DTRL Switch | Disabled Lock Beep/Seatbelt Chime | Husky Liners | HID's | BedRug | WO Seat Covers | ABS Kill Switch | Oil Catch Can | Viper 5704 | Custom Carbon Cabin Filter | Backup Camera Anytime | 400W Anytime | In Cab Outlet W/USB | Firestone Ride Rites | Ams Oil All Around | 32" LED In Lower Grill | BlackVue DR500GW-HD |
    unchipped copy from walmart like $5, plastic magnet holder $2, hide in frame rail and hide your spare chipped key in the cab. done.

CaptainBart45 likes this.
  15. Oct 12, 2014 at 2:35 PM
    dm1215al

dm1215al Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Fl
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Step tubes,Window tint, HomelinK rear view mirror, changed the entune image screen Rear Differential Breather Relocation Extended AC condensate hose KB Voodoo tailgate cap Redline Tuning QuickLIFT ELITE hood lift system.
    I like that safe hitch, might have to check one out.

16. Oct 12, 2014 at 3:12 PM
    cmoekim

cmoekim Member

Member:
    The accessory I miss the most from my old Frontier, I sure wish Toyota had something like it:

It works just like an extra key fob.. Pair it to your truck, then stick it wherever you want.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  17. Oct 12, 2014 at 3:14 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    A key won't short circuit or run out of battery power.

18. Oct 12, 2014 at 5:49 PM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    Of course, Toyota could easily make keys that would withstand scuba depths. I've tagged salmon with RFID tags and they swim way deeper than most scuba divers.

19. Oct 12, 2014 at 5:58 PM
    stombs

stombs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma V6 4x4 Access Cab TRD sport
    weather techs, westin grille guard, cb radio
    Id just hide a non chipped one under my truck in a plastic bag duct tape

Marc70 likes this.
  20. Oct 12, 2014 at 8:10 PM
    kn61408

kn61408 Retired old fart

Member:
    western washington
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DCLB sport pyrite mica
    12v always on power point mod, tailgate anti-theft, Addl bed tiedowns, flyzeye dash lights, map lites with dome lite mod, bed stiffeners, air bags, brake controller, always on fog lights,
    I take a non-chipped key I had made along with my Pop-n-Lock key diving with me all of the time. Sometimes I hide the spare key under the rear bumper where my dive buddy can find it. Main key and fob are hidden in the cab.

Products Discussed in

To Top