1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spare Tire Bracket Rot

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by sgrims, May 13, 2011.

?

Do you think Toyota should issue a recall for the spare tire bracket rot issue?

Poll closed Jun 12, 2011.
  1. Yes they should replace it?

50.0%
  2. issue a voluntary inspection order?

21.4%
  3. notify Tacoma owners to check bracket?

7.1%
  4. Your problem, fix it yourself?

21.4%
  1. May 13, 2011 at 10:38 AM
    sgrims

sgrims [OP] New Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Double cab
    I have a 2002 Double Cab T. Only has 60,000 miles on it. I have had the frame replaced in 2009. You would think that with the frame replacement they would replace any rusted out items that are attached to said frame. NOT SO! My spare tire bracket rusted through and the spare tire dropped to the road. The car behind me ran over the tire and caused $2000 damage to her car. I notified the dealer where I bought the truck and they said that it wasn't part of the frame problem. I would have to pay for all repairs. I notified Toyota concerning the safety issue of the tire dropping into traffic and causing an accident. Again, there was no interest in this issue. BE AWARE!!!! and check your spare tire bracket before someone gets seriously hurt.

2. May 13, 2011 at 10:48 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickok

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFFROAD 4x4 VSC/TRAC/DAC/HAC
    snugtop, piaa, weathertech, westin, oem bed mat, trd seat covers, avs inchannel vent visors, 2" suspension lift, front diff drop, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extention & reroute, front window tint, cat theft protection plate, tailgate clamp mod, xpel headlight/foglight protecters, oem block heater, bfg 265/75R/16 a/t k/o's, cabin air rodent protection screen, rcbs illuminated 4X4 switch mod
    Since it's a safty issue mention to Toyota that the local news is interested in doing a story on this and see what happens.

3. May 14, 2011 at 11:00 PM
    only_K

only_K 1st Gen. Pride

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Turlock, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma PreRunner
    K&N drop in filter, Magnaflow Exhaust, Billet grille. All 4 Bilstien 5100s. Fronts set at 2.5". Rear 2" AAL.
    first post eh?

4. May 15, 2011 at 7:59 AM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ft.myers,FL
    Vehicle:
    2003 Lexus ES300/2004 Lexus 330 AWD
    Spare tire bracket was part of my frame replacement......

OP, how many times have you cranked that spare down to check it for air or greased that chain to make sure it worked on that rainy night when you blow a tire ???? I live in NH so PM's on EVERYTHING due to salt & winter are MY responsibility...NOT TOYOTA's....My re-frame was a great GIFT while my Jeep,Ford and Chevy friends PATCH & Plate on....

I have a good friend that had his TUNDRA recalled for spare tire "problems" but he never dropped it...and TOYOTA has extended that program to include re-frames...His 100k pick up is now BRAND NEW underneath....saving him from a $4-500 payment a month to replace it for 15 years....

5. May 15, 2011 at 5:24 PM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    on such a new vehicle that part should have rusted through.. call up your local news and beat toyota down on this issue...

To Top