1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spare Tire Size?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by cdn_bacon, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Feb 2, 2010 at 10:12 PM
    cdn_bacon

cdn_bacon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Dbl Cab short box 4x4 TRD
    Slim's HID 6000k headlights and fog lights; Redline hood and tailgate struts, TRD CAI
    So I'm about to buy the taco a new set of shoes, wheels and rubber. Going from 265/70/16 stock to 285/70/17.

My question is, when upgrading tire size do you buy a full sized spare or can I keep my 265/70/16 and use it as a spare to get me to a gas station for a tire repair?

...also I apologize if this has been asked before although I was searching through post after post after post but I need to goto bed and am ordering shoes in the AM. Thanks!

2. Feb 4, 2010 at 6:28 AM
    cdn_bacon

cdn_bacon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christopher
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Dbl Cab short box 4x4 TRD
    Slim's HID 6000k headlights and fog lights; Redline hood and tailgate struts, TRD CAI
  3. Feb 4, 2010 at 7:14 AM
    GSRON

GSRON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR Cement
    Quikfix seat risers and lic plate mount, MESO interior and stage 1 tails, glove box and console dividers, shelf for center console, FACTOR 55 hitch link, TC bed stiffeners, OE bed mat,
    You can keep the stock spare keeping 2 things in mind....

1. If you get a truck with limited slip, either electronic or "clutch type" and you get a flat on the rear you will have to put a front tire back there so both rear tires are turning at the same speed. Otherwise the clutch pack and or the electronics are gonna be pissed from the speed difference side to side....

2. Either way you will probably get an ABS light from having one wheel spinning at a different speed than the rest.

Any spare is better than none. I ran into a guy 2 years ago 20 miles east of Gerlach Nv. in the desert with a broken (made in China rim vs rock that you can pick up with one hand = chunks of aluminum in the dirt) 22" wheel and no spare, jack or tools. Storage space under rear seats was converted to speaker boxes so no "tools". Spare rim didn't match the bling so it was in the garage.

Products Discussed in

To Top