1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spark knock or engine rattle noise

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by charlesc23456, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Sep 5, 2011 at 5:20 AM
    charlesc23456

charlesc23456 [OP] Member

Member:
    usa
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    Hi all,

I bought a new 2011 Tacoma with a 4 cylinder engine that makes a rattle or spark knock noise on acceleration. I have tried using higher grade fuel with no difference at all. I have taken it in to the service dept. 4 times and keep getting the same answer. "We here the noise but don't know what is causing it. The computer tests all check out fine. There is nothing wrong with your truck."

Now Toyota is trying to convince me that this noise is typical for this engine because of the materials it is made of. I find it hard to believe that Toyota is going to mass produce a vehicle that rattles on acceleration. They don't want to here me when I tell them that I test drove one with the same engine two weeks before and it was perfectly smooth and quiet.

I was wanting to know if anyone else has experienced this problem and if so, what was the fix for it. Please E-Mail me at charlesc23456@yahoo.com
    Thanks so much. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Sep 23, 2012 at 4:04 PM
    graywolf2011

graywolf2011 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando Florida
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma 4X4
    undercover hard toneau, stainless steel nfab step bars
    I have a 2011 with the same problem, dealer told me it was normal, seems to be their response for everything. Usually hear it at speeds below 35mph, sounds like its about to ping but not quite, sometimes it does ping. Premium gas stops it. Dealer told me it was the VVTi. Ya, right, then why would premium gas stop it? I'm taking it back to dealer and tell them I don't want it back until its fixed.

3. Dec 10, 2012 at 7:10 AM
    bertsrun

bertsrun Member

Member:
    I have the same spark knock issue with a 4-cylinder 2012 Tacoma. Grade of gas does not seem to make a difference. Have not taken to dealer yet. Did call and ask if the problem is a 'known' and the service manager said it wasn't.

4. Dec 21, 2012 at 4:10 AM
    bertsrun

bertsrun Member

Member:
    Service manager recommended that I put 87 octane in truck which is what the book calls for. I seriously doubt that will diminsh the spark knock, most likely will make it worse.

5. Dec 23, 2012 at 8:14 PM
    jimalan1989

jimalan1989 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Columbus, MS
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Double Cab Long Bed SR5
    NONE
    the owners manual does state " You may occasionally notice light knocking for a short time while accelerating or driving uphill. This is normal and there is no need for concern. i pulled this from page 504 from my owners manual. I had a friend that was a service tech for toyota and he even warned me the trucks were good for it.

6. Mar 19, 2013 at 8:41 AM
    bertsrun

bertsrun Member

Member:
    Will be taking the 2012 Tacoma to the dealer hopefully to resolve the spark knock issue. Asked another service manager if this is a known problem and was told it wasn't. Stay tuned for an update.

To Top