1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spark plug replacement

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by guitar2323, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Nov 11, 2016 at 7:30 AM
    jsi

jsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    native earthling
    Totally wait for the mileage. There is absolutely no need to change plugs at 13K miles. Why in the world would they even recommend a time period???? It's not like a spark plug is going to wear out while not being used. My suspicion is the 36 month recommendation is just because there are other things that are recommended to be changed based on months. Putting the spark plugs in there makes for a neat and tidy check list.

I changed mine at 35K and they were a little worn, but IMHO they didn't need to be changed just yet. The current set has 37K on them and I'm waiting till 50K before replacing them again. I guess if someone were worried about how the plugs are holding up they could just take one of the easy ones out for a quick inspection. That shouldn't take more than about 5 minutes to do.

WebberLander and David_A like this.
  2. Nov 11, 2016 at 7:33 AM
    Mush Mouse

Mush Mouse Club Soda Not Seals

Member:
    First Name:
    mush
    where ever you want me to be
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5
    its a Toyota truck and that's all the modifications needed
  3. Nov 11, 2016 at 9:49 AM
    Midnighttaco08

Midnighttaco08 Traffic Direction Moonlighter

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 DCSB Indigo Ink TRDOR 2017 CM Tundra TRD OR 4x4
    Some Bubble Gum and Duct-Tape IG** Midnighttaco03 Camburg uni-ball UCA w/ CO Rear Dakar with Fox 2.0 bottom overload removed GG G3D radius bar 50" roof mount GG G3 straight 32" front valence Rago fab bed clamp pod mounts 2 GG amber pod rear OTRATTW custom switch panel in sunglass holder K&N cold air Gibson exhaust Alpine INA-W900 head Mr. Marv box and amp rack IDQ-10 - Interfire Mono Focal fx45 component front Alpine type S Co-ax rear Homer taco TRD Grill GG LED low/high beam TRD seat covers OEM bed mat Weathertech floor mats with replacement TRD-OR decals Weathertech in-channel vents GG Flush mount pod replament fog light kit GG green ditch mount 3x2 pods Fog lights anytime Tailgate hoseclamp mod LED dome light LED map lights LED reverse lights LED license lights Rear window decals: Mall rated, Tacomaworld.com, U-Haul power tow, soundtech, mammoth.
    Hhhhmmmmmmmmm. :cookiemonster:

4. Nov 11, 2016 at 10:18 AM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    That is what I did. I would not even think about replacing until you get close to 30K. Once past 60k and the emissions warranty is up you can go at least 35k on a set. I ordered mine online for about $4 per.

5. Nov 11, 2016 at 12:13 PM
    David_A

David_A Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego ca
    procomp leveling kit,77series k&n cause it looks cool i guess
    well I've just read that on the forum they say that's how they came stock but check with the stealership man ask them

6. Nov 11, 2016 at 1:33 PM
    EdgemanVA

EdgemanVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2008 X-Runner
    Several
    I change mine based on mileage - every 30K miles. Since these plugs are easy to change, I just stick with standard OEM plugs. I've installed Denso plugs the last two times.

7. Nov 11, 2016 at 2:08 PM
    chunt5

chunt5 Senior Citizen Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chuck
    Cumming, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB, Prerunner, SR5, 4.0
    I put less than 4K a year on my truck. I plan on changing my plugs at 30K which will be a little over 7 years.

8. Nov 11, 2016 at 2:24 PM
    Markcal

Markcal Well-Known Member

Member:
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Nov 11, 2016 at 7:22 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5

I'm not validating the price. Only that Iridium plugs are more pricey than copper based plugs.... and he only bought 4...

10. Nov 12, 2016 at 4:55 AM
    Midnighttaco08

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Some Bubble Gum and Duct-Tape IG** Midnighttaco03 Camburg uni-ball UCA w/ CO Rear Dakar with Fox 2.0 bottom overload removed GG G3D radius bar 50" roof mount GG G3 straight 32" front valence Rago fab bed clamp pod mounts 2 GG amber pod rear OTRATTW custom switch panel in sunglass holder K&N cold air Gibson exhaust Alpine INA-W900 head Mr. Marv box and amp rack IDQ-10 - Interfire Mono Focal fx45 component front Alpine type S Co-ax rear Homer taco TRD Grill GG LED low/high beam TRD seat covers OEM bed mat Weathertech floor mats with replacement TRD-OR decals Weathertech in-channel vents GG Flush mount pod replament fog light kit GG green ditch mount 3x2 pods Fog lights anytime Tailgate hoseclamp mod LED dome light LED map lights LED reverse lights LED license lights Rear window decals: Mall rated, Tacomaworld.com, U-Haul power tow, soundtech, mammoth.
    Had a real hard time belieliving $17.50 for a iridium plug was real from the dealer...
    :crapstorm:

But hey... the sun shines on a dog's ass every once and a while... :anonymous:

:cookiemonster:

11. Nov 12, 2016 at 4:58 AM
    sgtnewundies

sgtnewundies Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Florida, Citrus County
    Vehicle:
    14 trd sport red
    Working on it now....UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    If you change the plugs at 60000 miles they will have a little wear on the electrode. I recently changed the plugs on my 2003 Tacoma with the 2.7 engine and they were ready. Those plugs had 80000 miles on them. They had the standard electrode. I went with the Iridiums for a few more dollars each.

12. Nov 12, 2016 at 5:05 AM
    Midnighttaco08

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:

Not really sure if the 4.0 is iridium too... but FWIW, I changed the plugs at 61K. It was just over double because ignorant and stupid....

No increase in MPG, performance gain, no throttle response change. Probably could have gone another 20k...

Just my opinion :crapstorm:

jsi likes this.
  13. Nov 12, 2016 at 5:08 AM
    sgtnewundies

sgtnewundies Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Florida, Citrus County
    Vehicle:
    14 trd sport red
    Working on it now....UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    You will get very little changes from the plugs its more of an emissions thing.

Products Discussed in

To Top