1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SPC uca from amazon.ca

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by garrettmiklautz, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Sep 18, 2017 at 11:27 PM
    Thyces

Thyces 2 seater taco

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCLB TRD Sport
    Custom painted 6112's Fox 2.0 12" in the rear Allpro expedition leafs (garbage) Pelfreybilt aluminum single hoop front Full size pickup bedslide modded to fit Satoshi grill Ubolt flip kit Archive garage shackle flip 5" Sumo supersprings 1500lbs SPC uca's Full set RCI skid plates Weld on sliders ABS killswitch Pop'n'lock power tailgate lock Falken Wildpeak mt on FJ rims Plastidipped emblems Ebay projector headlights Smoked aftermarket tail lights High output led reverse lights Hella horns 330w 5d led bumper bar 18w spots on track facing rear (fuck you lights) B&m trans cooler Bussmann fuse box ECGS bushing Big 4 (0 gauge ofc wire) upgrade Mechman 240 amp alternator Jl 10w7 in a 1 1/2" thick wall custom box Alpine 1000w rms mono amp Group 31 AGM battery installed next to sub Yaesu 2800 Bearcat 980 in dash with wireless mic and stainless whip Diff breather mod Hilux snorkel Turbine pre filter Baja Rack low profile cab rack Rifle case on rack Shovel and axe on quick fists in bed Flat and spade shovel mounted in bed Highlift mount in bed Tech deck with magnetic ram mount Tab s7 on ram mount
    Don't remember exactly. But I did order them from headstrong.

2. Sep 19, 2017 at 8:55 PM
    garrettmiklautz

garrettmiklautz [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett Miklautz
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Double Cab-Super White
    Talked to the local Kal Tire here, one of the few shops in town that does alignments. I spoke with he head tech manager, and he stated he doesn't like getting involved with these types of applications, and would charge me by the hour to do the alignment. What a bunch of bologna!

3. Sep 19, 2017 at 10:01 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    So pay by the hour

T4RFTMFW and stickyTaco like this.
  4. Sep 19, 2017 at 10:02 PM
    garrettmiklautz

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett Miklautz
    Vehicle:
    I have no choice. :(
    Its all good lol.

5. Sep 20, 2017 at 5:16 AM
    Thyces

Thyces 2 seater taco

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCLB TRD Sport
    Custom painted 6112's Fox 2.0 12" in the rear Allpro expedition leafs (garbage) Pelfreybilt aluminum single hoop front Full size pickup bedslide modded to fit Satoshi grill Ubolt flip kit Archive garage shackle flip 5" Sumo supersprings 1500lbs SPC uca's Full set RCI skid plates Weld on sliders ABS killswitch Pop'n'lock power tailgate lock Falken Wildpeak mt on FJ rims Plastidipped emblems Ebay projector headlights Smoked aftermarket tail lights High output led reverse lights Hella horns 330w 5d led bumper bar 18w spots on track facing rear (fuck you lights) B&m trans cooler Bussmann fuse box ECGS bushing Big 4 (0 gauge ofc wire) upgrade Mechman 240 amp alternator Jl 10w7 in a 1 1/2" thick wall custom box Alpine 1000w rms mono amp Group 31 AGM battery installed next to sub Yaesu 2800 Bearcat 980 in dash with wireless mic and stainless whip Diff breather mod Hilux snorkel Turbine pre filter Baja Rack low profile cab rack Rifle case on rack Shovel and axe on quick fists in bed Flat and spade shovel mounted in bed Highlift mount in bed Tech deck with magnetic ram mount Tab s7 on ram mount
    You could just set the uac yourself in the parking lot and get them to just dail in your numbers and not touch the uac. That way they have no argument for extra charges.

6. Sep 20, 2017 at 6:48 AM
    garrettmiklautz

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett Miklautz
    Vehicle:
    Yea i tried telling him id set the ball joint how i wanted it, and to treat it as a fixed item, but he claimed it doesnt work that way. And kept saying he'd have to monkey with the ball joint if the alignment was out.

7. Sep 20, 2017 at 6:59 AM
    Thyces

Thyces 2 seater taco

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCLB TRD Sport
    It does work that way. He's trying to fuck you, move on to the next one. Or try to reason with him to explain how this thing he's never dealt with actually works. If he's not willing, then move on.

8. Sep 20, 2017 at 3:17 PM
    garrettmiklautz

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett Miklautz
    Vehicle:
    I agree,
    I dont have many options up here. Ill have to try and explain it better and maybe show him some online sources.
    They're supposed to be the professionals, not me lol.
    I called another shop and was quoted over 4 hours minimum at $120/hour.
    Unbelievable.

9. Sep 20, 2017 at 3:25 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hourly rate isn't unusual for aftermarket parts.

They price alignments by the hour too, you just pay a flat rate with standard parts because they know the labor that goes into that.

Changing that setup means they spend more time, sometimes substantially if you're bringing them something they haven't done before or are require them to spend time learning how to adjust the part in the first place. They're not paying their techs to read your instructions for free.

You need more time, you need more money to get it.

Not shady at all, be realistic. Shop around if you want and see if someone has a better deal, but understand why some don't.

10. Sep 20, 2017 at 4:05 PM
    Canoehead

Canoehead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duncan
    Dartmouth, NS Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 DCSB, lots of scratches
    Rearview mirror upside down
    If you have to replace your 5100s and you want to install 887s, you absolutely should do all these at the same time you have the UCAs installed. Also, if you are buying 887s and 5100s, why not just buy them all from Wheeler's and have them include the top hat and the assembly? If you want to install yourself, you will not need the coil compressor, and can do the whole job in your driveway.

As for the alignment, in my opinion it is not only reasonable for the shop to talk about taking longer and billing accordingly, but I would say it would be cause for concern if they did not! From the Kal Tire point of view, they are going to get a truck they do not know, with a mystery UCA that adds a second adjustment to both camber and castor. I am not a tech, but I would expect that a shop which cares about customer satisfaction would be very careful to be clear about the expectations in our situation. I am in that same situation myself, just installed 885s and LR UCAs. I talked to my local shop, and gave them the installation instructions, they pointed out that the alignment will take at least two steps and that means more time. I'll let you know how I make out, just have to do lower ball joints and a wheel bearing before the alignment happens.

Good luck!

garrettmiklautz[OP] likes this.
  11. Sep 21, 2017 at 10:14 AM
    Thyces

Thyces 2 seater taco

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCLB TRD Sport
    I agree with most of your statements. That being said someone's depth of knowledge sometimes leads to ignorance. I can guarantee that the shop has 0 experience with this exact product and did 0 research into how and what needs to be adjusted. A couple of places tried this with me. I went bought a 36mm socket, set the uca and brought it back. I explained all that was necessary on their part is a factory alignment, but to my specs. There is absolutely no need for extra time/work therefore no reason to charge extra. I work for myself (renovation) and know all too well that time=money. I do understand that alot of people are ignorant of the time necessary to fine tune and adjust things when their not oem, and a shop has to charge accordingly. But let's not pretend like shops don't take advantage of clients either.

T4RFTMFW[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Sep 21, 2017 at 10:20 AM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Certainly do, I was just saying flat rate jobs are based on familiarity to do the job and how long it should take given that experience and that certainly has extra cost when it's changed (and that's okay).

Rip offs are rip offs.. 4 hrs minimum labor like the one shop quoted is a ripoff. I was quoted $125/hr locally to align with SPCs (no minimum charge), and thought that was a fair proposal given that particular shop is not the type that sees modified vehicles at any kind of normal work flow.

A stark contrast to another local shop that wanted $500 cash deposit to install my OEM fog light kit, with the expectation that the cost would double before it was finished due to the shop swearing that my Toyota OEM kit in a Toyota OEM box with a Toyota OEM P/N was completely aftermarket, and that it would take a several days from start to finish - despite what the Toyota FSM instructions estimated the job at, which I provided them with step by step instructions/pictures.

Did it in my driveway with another member who helped.. in 20 minutes.

13. Sep 21, 2017 at 10:22 AM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Here's the PNs for Tacoma's (for anybody's reference)..
    Tacoma 05+ 25470
    Tacoma 95-04 25460

I just did a huge group buy on these arms not long ago, so this is straight from an SPC vendor.

14. Sep 25, 2017 at 9:34 PM
    garrettmiklautz

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett Miklautz
    Vehicle:

I had purchased the 5100's first, unsure if i was going to stick them in my stock coils again.
    Than i got the uca's from headstrong, and ill be ordering the 887's in the near future likely with top hats so i can just get them built prior to install.
    In he insight, i should have just got it all at once built up, but couldnt make my my mind.
    I totally agree time is money, and people need to charge accordingly. But some of these shops are way out to lunch with their quotes in my opinion.
    For me, Kal Tire is likely my best bet, and i dont mind paying the money if it done correctly.
    So we'll see what happens.

Im getting antsy, all these shiney new parts just sitting here waiting to be installed. Looking forward to a better ride!

15. Sep 25, 2017 at 10:23 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Lets be real here , renovators and building contractors are all rip off artists

16. Sep 25, 2017 at 10:31 PM
    garrettmiklautz

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett Miklautz
    Vehicle:
    Well, as a journeymen carpenter, its finding the right guy. And that goes for anything in life really. With some things, you get what you pay for. But its true, there are SOME shiesty people out there.

Thyces likes this.
  17. Sep 25, 2017 at 10:50 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    :)

I'm a residential builder and carpemter for 29 years

18. Sep 25, 2017 at 11:04 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Carpenter*

19. Sep 25, 2017 at 11:06 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Need my glasses lol

T4RFTMFW[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Sep 26, 2017 at 2:55 AM
    Thyces

Thyces 2 seater taco

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCLB TRD Sport
    I disagree, and that is a pretty generalized statement..... There are assholes in every facet of life. I know alot shitty builders that over charge. I also know a few contractors that are owed hundreds of thousands that they know they will never see. What to do? Get a lein, take them to court, and get pennies on the dollar. And thats after loosing a few grand on lawyer fees. I do all my own work, Demo to paint, to make sure my clients get the best possible outcome with their project, at a fair price.

Products Discussed in

To Top