1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Speaker Help

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by gtrider, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Dec 15, 2009 at 5:26 AM
    gtrider

gtrider [OP] Member

Member:
    Thanks ENIGMA206..
    I didnt order the baffles, yet. My step father has a car garage w/ a million parts that im going to dig through to see if i cant find anything. he rebuilds Porshe 356's so he's got a ton of gaskets and random parts around the shop. I might have to get that sub! hahaha
    I just got done talking w/ Blackhawk and he's going to build me a sotashi grille..after that, im maybe thinking new wheels..but who know.

I'm loving this truck more and more each day!

Thanks again!

Tim

2. Dec 15, 2009 at 7:01 AM
    ENIGMA206

ENIGMA206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palm Bay, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4 Off-Road DC
    Tunes Tonneau On-board Air Firestone Air Bags
    As much as I'd like to keep supporting our vendors on TW, it is easy enough to make your own baffles if you're trying to save $$$. The drivers down in the doors would need some 1/2" to 3/4" MDF. The Polks are deep enough that you will need to bring them out some to keep the window from hitting speaker magnet when window is lowered. The tweeters up in the door just need some thin material 1/8" or so.

Just pull the original speakers and put them face down on the MDF. Outline the pattern with a pencil. Cut it out with a jigsaw. Use the speaker template that comes on the box to draw the inner circle. Cut it out and viola, you have a speaker adapter.

3. Dec 15, 2009 at 8:47 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Tim:
    I hope to be finishing my install this week. I pulled a Pioneer HU. an older DEH-P4800MP and a JL Audio e4300 amp out of my last truck and doing the install in the Tacoma. I also picked up a set of Boston Acoustics Pro60 speakers for the front doors. I will pass on rear speakers for the time being.

This is pretty easy for a DIY project. I am beginning to like working on the Tacoma. Lots of room to run wires and it is really easy to take out the seats.

As others have said a nice sound system is addictive.

4. Dec 15, 2009 at 6:05 PM
    gtrider

gtrider [OP] Member

Member:

Youre the man, ENIGMA206.

i think i definitely can handle the project myself. I just got the Alpine CDA-105 in the mail and the Alpine Power Pack shipped today. i'll have to wait until santa comes to get the speakers (sad to say that im 28 and my rents are buying me expensive xmas gifts). I'll let you know how the progress is coming.

Thanks again,

Tim

5. Dec 15, 2009 at 6:06 PM
    gtrider

gtrider [OP] Member

Member:

Right on, thanks for the encouragement-- im going to give it a go

tim

6. Dec 17, 2009 at 1:13 AM
    ENIGMA206

ENIGMA206 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palm Bay, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 4X4 Off-Road DC
    Tunes Tonneau On-board Air Firestone Air Bags
    Hey gtrider,

I just wanted to drop a a little piece of advice that I learned the hard way. When you pull the upper trim pieces on your doors (the little triangle covering mirror studs and rear pillar of window) the little white plastic clips will most likely stay in the door. DO NOT try to put the trim pieces back on with those clips in the door. The clips push through and fall inside the door's abyss, never to be seen again. Just remove the clips and snap them on the little studs of the panels. Headache and trip to the dealer avoided.

I'm sure someone will have some rhetoric to share on my comment, but they've done it too. They just don't want to admit it.:rolleyes:

7. Dec 17, 2009 at 1:43 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Thanks for the tip on the door panel sails. I did not have a problem with that but I did have a problem with the pin in the top panel fastener. Be gentle with that or it will be in the door as well.

Tim:

This pic is for you. I am a newbie with sound deadening and I felt the process was straight forward and not difficult at all.

DSC_0116_825cb369d1ec7c6bcf8a498b08a5ff983fc70667.jpg

8. Dec 17, 2009 at 6:33 AM
    gtrider

gtrider [OP] Member

Member:
    Nice !
    thanks for the tips. i'll be sure to be careful with all the clips.
    95SLE- where did you put the crossover box?

9. Dec 17, 2009 at 7:42 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab

Up underneath the dash next to the cab wall. There was a handy bracket to tyrap the crossover to. I still have to install the one on the drivers side. I already know that under the dash will be a bigger challange on the drivers side. I would like to keep the crossovers in the cab and not in the door. ;)

Fishing the wires through the rubber plenium between the cab and the door was not hard but you do need to be careful. I used a long tyrap as my fish tape. It worked great. I will try to take a pic when I start the drivers door tonight.

10. Dec 17, 2009 at 10:31 AM
    gtrider

gtrider [OP] Member

Member:
    That would be awesome.

11. Dec 17, 2009 at 7:03 PM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Tim:
    I made a lot of progress tonight. I ran out of sound absorbing mat and was able to pull the cables into the door.

I drilled a hole in the end of the tyrap.

DSC_0165-1_13640018e8a82ce4d76da13dd759bf13c0ae62b7.jpg

Next I tied and taped the positive feed, for a LED project, to the tyrap.

DSC_0167_51294f43ecec2fb787f4b6ab5d3b936bea424d7a.jpg

Then taped all the other wires making sure to space them out along the pull.

DSC_0169-1_cc8a5cebd877ac50d1ff6602f9464ee8b7a404c5.jpg

Badda Boom the wires are through the conduit and into the cab.

DSC_0170_b85d07f0fa6ce7603c28060b64ca6da6374c24ea.jpg

12. Dec 18, 2009 at 8:06 AM
    gtrider

gtrider [OP] Member

Member:
    Right on! Great idea
    I'm looking forward to the project and ill keep yall in the loop on how it's going.

Btw, i dont like the looks of the head-lights on the 2006 taco..any other options i might have? i was thinking i just might get the "t-rex eye lids"..but wanted to see what other options are out there.

Tim

Products Discussed in

To Top