1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Speaker material question

Discussion in 'Mr Marv' started by DanGer, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Jun 15, 2009 at 4:20 PM
    DanGer

DanGer [OP] Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    Hey there Marv.

I am the Dan from virginia tech that talked to you a while back about putting in a down-fireing sub in his access cab. I just can't make the money work out until after I graduate college and maybe join the military. How ever, in the meantime I want to reinstall my speakers with better baffles, and try to work some deadening into the budget. I feel this is much more important than a sub anyway.

My question is: since I am on a budget, what is the best way to make my own baffles (I know what tools from a previous question, but am looking for more specifics now)? Should I get a sheet of MDF and use the templates that came with the speakers? Are there better materials than mdf?

Thanks a bunch!
    Dan

2. Jun 18, 2009 at 9:27 AM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    Authorized Hybrid Audio Technologies Dealer (www.hybrid-audio.com) ARC Audio amplifiers, subs, processors now available! Helix Processors now available! For you super high end guys Brax amplifiers will be available soon! (PICS HERE and new website coming soon with Subwoofers, Amplifiers, Wiring Kits)
    Sorry to not answer this sooner Dan but I've been EXTREMELY busy and my BBQ meet preparation is taking a LOT of my time lately as well! :eek:
    "Better" material depends on your definition of "better" and would be very subjective concerning sound (some believe they can "hear" a difference between certain materials ;)). In any case MDF will work perfectly fine and I suggest you just spray them with black paint or another sealer if you are concerned with moisture.

3. Jun 18, 2009 at 9:59 AM
    DanGer

DanGer [OP] Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    Thanks marv, I plan on doing this as soon as the summer semester is over!

To Top