1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Speaker questions??

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by FL TRD, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Dec 2, 2011 at 10:53 AM
    FL TRD

FL TRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SR5 TRD
    Hi everyone I'm going to be putting in some new speakers and had a couple of questions? First in the a 05 Tacoma double cab are the front speakers 6x9 and years 6.5? Also I was looking at buying a set Polk audio speakers and the fronts 6x9's are 3 ways and the rears 6.5 are 2 way will they sound right like that? I will be amping them with a JL 300/4? Thanks for any info

2. Dec 2, 2011 at 5:36 PM
    CNewell

CNewell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Camron
    PA
    Vehicle:
    My '09 TRD Sport DCSB
    Hybrid Audio (front and back), Pioneer Shallow Mount 10" Sub, Pioneer 4ch Amp, bridged RE Audio Amp, WeatherTech Digital Fit (front and back), Flyzeye Interior LED, 18" Chrome Moto Metal 951's, 285/60/18 Cooper Zeon LTZ's, Bilstein 5100 shocks (front and back), Eibach coils, Light Racing/SPC UCA's, Black Billet Grille (5pc), Hella 500's, Black Diamond Light Bar, Truxedo LoProQT
    You will need adapters to fit 6x9's in the front, as well as adapters to fit 6.5's in the rear, but it is completely doable. I would suggest putting components up front, and coaxial in the rear. Other than that, I will let the true professionals chime in.

3. Dec 2, 2011 at 9:49 PM
    FL TRD

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SR5 TRD
    If i need adaptors then what are the stock speaker sizes?

4. Dec 2, 2011 at 9:52 PM
    imsikotic

imsikotic If u cant stand behind our troops. Stand in front

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Temecula, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DesertRunner
    4" Camburg Race Spindles and Icon 2.5" ext travel Coilovers in the front for about 5"of lift and for the rear All-Pro 3" leaf pack and Fox 2.0 Resi's converted to piggyback and custom valved by DownSouth Motorsports. 17x9" KMC XD Addicts w/ 4.5 inch Backspacing and -12 Offset. Wrangler Duratracs 285/70/17. K&N CAI, Exhaust, Carriage Works Billet Grill, Custom Bed bar with ProComp fog lights,DirtKing Fabrication front bumper w/ 3 HID converted Hellas, Demello rear PreRunner bumper, Tinted windows, Full System w/ 2 10s, Garmin 265WT, ClearHLM. Theres more I just cant think of it right now.
    You will need adapters no matter what you use. Like what was mentioned above, I recommend 6.5" components up front and 6.5" 2 or 3 Way coaxials in the rear.

5. Dec 2, 2011 at 9:54 PM
    imsikotic

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Temecula, Ca
    Vehicle:
    4" Camburg Race Spindles and Icon 2.5" ext travel Coilovers in the front for about 5"of lift and for the rear All-Pro 3" leaf pack and Fox 2.0 Resi's converted to piggyback and custom valved by DownSouth Motorsports. 17x9" KMC XD Addicts w/ 4.5 inch Backspacing and -12 Offset. Wrangler Duratracs 285/70/17. K&N CAI, Exhaust, Carriage Works Billet Grill, Custom Bed bar with ProComp fog lights,DirtKing Fabrication front bumper w/ 3 HID converted Hellas, Demello rear PreRunner bumper, Tinted windows, Full System w/ 2 10s, Garmin 265WT, ClearHLM. Theres more I just cant think of it right now.
    They are a 6.5" but they are set-up in a big plastic frame.

6. Dec 2, 2011 at 10:21 PM
    FL TRD

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SR5 TRD
    So all four speakers are 6.5 and i will need adaptors to run any aftermarket speakers?

7. Dec 2, 2011 at 10:29 PM
    207Copper

207Copper Well-Known Member

Member:
    South East Kansas
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 SR5 Quad Cab Red
    16"wheels, Bull bar, Side bars, Retrax roll top tonneau cover
    Yes to adapters. My 08 had an off sized close to 6x8 in the front with a tweeter and then the 6.5 in the rear.

I bought Alpine type S components and Alpine type S coaxial 6.5's for the rear. I run 80w per channel and it sounds good and clean.
    just my .02

8. Dec 2, 2011 at 11:01 PM
    imsikotic

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Temecula, Ca
    Vehicle:
    You can make the adapters yourself. Get some MDF from Home Depot and a jigsaw. Trace the outline from the stock buckets and cut. That is what I did with mine. Saved me 80 bucks.

9. Dec 2, 2011 at 11:14 PM
    FL TRD

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SR5 TRD
    But i dont really understand so no aftermarket speaker will fit with out making a bracket front or back? Why?

10. Dec 2, 2011 at 11:25 PM
    imsikotic

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Temecula, Ca
    Vehicle:
    You need to take off you door panel to understand.

11. Dec 3, 2011 at 6:19 AM
    lbridges

lbridges Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    Because the factory speakers use a one-piece speaker frame and bracket of some sort of injection molded plastic/resin material.

So when you go aftermarket you have two alternatives:

1) to make or buy the bracket/baffle, or

2) to gut the speaker retaining the bracket portion, and find an aftermarket speaker that will fit into the bracket. Unfortunately, I don't personally know any brands/models that will work. That doesn't mean there aren't any - the Toyota MR2 community found some, and if you search here somebody may have found some that work for the Tacoma, I just don't recall at the moment.

Good luck either way.

12. Dec 3, 2011 at 6:30 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    X2 The speaker diaphram has more distance to travel on the 6.5 vs the 6X9 hence you will have a better bass. I would also recommend speaker rings from Mr. Marv.

13. Dec 3, 2011 at 9:05 AM
    FL TRD

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SR5 TRD
    Ok thanks that explains it better is there any where else i could buy the speaker brackets like a best buy or something do local audio shops carry those or do i have to buy them from mr marv or *********?

14. Dec 3, 2011 at 9:17 AM
    XJBaylor

XJBaylor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Plano, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB TRD Sport 4x4
    King coilovers with remote reservoirs, Deaver 12 leaf pack with 5100's, TRD exhaust, Kenwood 6160, Anthracite Sport Wheels
    To be clear, there are plenty of good reasons to run 6.5" speakers, but better bass is not one of them. 6x9's will generally provide significantly more bass/midbass.

15. Dec 3, 2011 at 10:58 AM
    CNewell

CNewell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Camron
    PA
    Vehicle:
    My '09 TRD Sport DCSB
    Hybrid Audio (front and back), Pioneer Shallow Mount 10" Sub, Pioneer 4ch Amp, bridged RE Audio Amp, WeatherTech Digital Fit (front and back), Flyzeye Interior LED, 18" Chrome Moto Metal 951's, 285/60/18 Cooper Zeon LTZ's, Bilstein 5100 shocks (front and back), Eibach coils, Light Racing/SPC UCA's, Black Billet Grille (5pc), Hella 500's, Black Diamond Light Bar, Truxedo LoProQT
    This... Only because Mr. Marv told me so :D

16. Dec 3, 2011 at 11:31 AM
    lbridges

lbridges Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    They (local shops) might, the two places you mention will, there is a forum member here (hookedontronics I think) that sells them as well. I expect Crutchfield would have something as well.

If you wanted 6.5" round speakers both front and rear I even have a spare set in my closet that I'd let go cheap - problem is you need to know the diameter of the speaker frame before knowing if a specific adapter bracket will work. And you should also know the depth of the speaker frame, so the back doesn't get hit by the window (has an impact to the depth of the bracket). I say all this from personal experience. I ordered up a set of brackets in 3/4" thickness, but when I tried my specific speakers the window wouldn't go all the way down (speakers too deep). Had to make a set of brackets 1" thick using the 3/4" ones I bought as templates (1" is probably about as thick as they can get without messing with the door panel).

Products Discussed in

To Top