1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Speaker rattle

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by montanacruiser, Apr 21, 2023.

1. Apr 21, 2023 at 12:14 PM
    montanacruiser

montanacruiser [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB Off Road
    Hi all hope someone here can help. I have a speaker rattle driver front door when listening to music semi loud. When I push on the panel near the speaker the rattling stops. What can I do to get this to stop?
    Thanks

TRDRed likes this.
  2. Apr 21, 2023 at 12:18 PM
    10thMTNgrunt

10thMTNgrunt This is the way, step inside.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    Sound deadening your doors will be your best bet and will greatly improve the way your system sounds, can not recommend enough.
    Also, when you take the panel off to sound deaden you can inspect to make sure all your door clips are in place. You may be missing one.

TRDRed and kahanabob like this.
  3. Apr 21, 2023 at 12:23 PM
    stealthmode

stealthmode Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2016 Short N Stubby Bed- MGM
    Front and Rear lifts Tires ECGS bushing Lots of other crap +HP sticker
    Did you pull the door panel and check it for anything obvious? For me my screw had rattled out of the hole and the speaker was half in leaning up against the door speaker grill.

TRDRed likes this.
  4. Apr 21, 2023 at 12:52 PM
    kahanabob

kahanabob Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maui
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD 2WD 4DR
    sound deaden the back side of the door panel. i had the same issue and did that and all is good. you have to cut pieces to fit in the nooks and crannies but cover as much as you can. also i caulked where two parts came together, obvious in the pic's. all will make sense when you remove the door panel.
    also stuff like loose change sitting in the cubby in the arm rest will rattel.

when i turned up the volume it sounded like the speakers were blown, not any more

Tacol.jpg
    Taco2.jpg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2023
  5. Apr 21, 2023 at 5:22 PM
    TRDRed

TRDRed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific Northwest Playground
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR DC SB OTT Tune
    Per others, sound deadner applied to the outer door skin will certainly help improve the sound, especially base. It may or may not address the rattle you're hearing. BTW, is it actually a "rattle" or a "buzz" or... ?

Per @stealthmode, best bet is to pull the door panel and inspect everything to be sure there's nothing loose behind it. Sometimes removing and replacing the door panel can cure the problem. Then you can proceed to do whatever you decide is best or post more info for more support.

Removing the door panel may sound intimidating, but it's really not. Get yourself an inexpensive set of nylon trim tools, something like these (Amazon or your local auto parts store) and follow the DIY video below. Hope that helps!

patbegley likes this.
  6. Apr 25, 2023 at 10:12 AM
    montanacruiser

montanacruiser [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB Off Road
    It's a rattle for sure. Will take the panel off and inspect it and through in some sound deaden. Recommendations for good inexpensive deadener?
    Really appreciate the help. Thanks

TRDRed likes this.
  7. Apr 25, 2023 at 12:26 PM
    kahanabob

kahanabob Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maui
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD 2WD 4DR
    many choices on Amazon but will be in the $50 range, enough to do both door panels'
    if instruction say use gloves DO AS THEY SAY!. the aluminum backing will cut your fingers and you will not know it until later, i found out the hard way.

TRDRed likes this.
  8. Apr 25, 2023 at 3:50 PM
    TRDRed

TRDRed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific Northwest Playground
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR DC SB OTT Tune
    I've used FatMat Rattletrap in the past. It's supposed to be the best of the best and all of the cool kids use it, but the price has skyrocketed of late. I used Noico for the Taco. Same thickness and the adhesive seems to be just as good. This kit covered most of the interior skin on the front and back doors:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KZ5X7KO?ie=UTF8

Two kits would cover the interior skin on all four doors if you want to go all-in. I like that it comes in smaller panels that are easier to cut and squeeze in through the speaker opening. Lots of YT DIY vids showing how.

To Top