1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Speaker sound issue- front 6x9 3-way

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by oostroma, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Sep 27, 2017 at 10:12 PM
    oostroma

oostroma [OP] (Boomer)

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR access cab- BBP colour
    TRD emblems, tinted windows, OEM running boards, AVS vent shades, RMAS upgrade, LED lights in front and rear, interior LED lighting upgrade, LED lighting in bed, touch control dash mount for LED lighting, auxillary 12v and USB jacks in bed, replace all speakers with Infinity, custom mod with Bose tweeters, TRD Pro illumination mod...
    I have installed a pair of 6x9 3-way and a pair of 6.5 2-way in my 2017 Tacoma 4x4 TRD access cab. Rear speakers sound fine but front speakers sound like they are shorting out about 1 minutes after I turn on the stock stereo. If I fade all the way to the rear the sound is normal but when I fade all the way to the front the speakers sound like they are damaged. Need some thoughts on why this might be? Note, I used the original wire harness by cutting out the stock paper speaker and soldering in the voice coil lead wires directly to the new speaker terminals.
    I did this same procedure in my 2014 Kia Forte5 SX and all 4x speakers sound great.

2. Sep 27, 2017 at 10:18 PM
    Captqc

Captqc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tigard, OR
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 4x4 TRD AC Off Road
    First off, welcome to the forum, now any chance you have a pinched wire or even a bad speaker? I know it’s a pain but did you try plugging in one of the rear speakers to test the system?

xxTacocaTxx likes this.
  3. Sep 27, 2017 at 10:27 PM
    oostroma

oostroma [OP] (Boomer)

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    TRD emblems, tinted windows, OEM running boards, AVS vent shades, RMAS upgrade, LED lights in front and rear, interior LED lighting upgrade, LED lighting in bed, touch control dash mount for LED lighting, auxillary 12v and USB jacks in bed, replace all speakers with Infinity, custom mod with Bose tweeters, TRD Pro illumination mod...
    I had installed the same brand of speakers I had ordered from Amazon a week before the same way. I thought that as well and removed the speakers to check for any short etc. I thought that they were faulty so I returned them for a refund. I ordered a new pair from Crutchfeild(paid FULL price), installed the identical way and got the same results. This is not the first time I have upgraded speakers in a vehicle so I am scratching my head as to why they sound electrically damaged. I just finished doing the same type of install in my car and the speakers sound perfect.

Is there an issue with the ohm value of the speakers? I'm at a loss...

4. Sep 27, 2017 at 10:30 PM
    samiam

samiam Always here, never there

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Stinky Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD OR DCSB 4.0 6MT 1E7 Alu Cab
    Workin' on Workin' on it
    Any chance you mixed up +/- ?

badhabit2break likes this.
  5. Sep 27, 2017 at 10:42 PM
    Captqc

Captqc Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tigard, OR
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 4x4 TRD AC Off Road
    Very strange! I just changed out my speakers and thank goodness it worked great. Chasing electrical gremlins is a real pain!:annoyed: Good luck and let us know what the problem was when you figure it out.

6. Sep 28, 2017 at 7:51 PM
    OhioTaco68

OhioTaco68 John 3:16

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    16' Tacoma SR5 4x4 access cab Silver Sky Metallic
    AVS in channel window deflectors Predator steps Tinted front windows De-badged all chrome emblems Matte black tailgate lettering Matte black door badges Silver door sill lettering Weathertech mud guards Tacoma bed mat Interior LED lighting Lamin-X yellow fogs Hyper yellow DRL LED 3rd brake light bulbs CLEARZ 3rd brake light lens LED back up lights Access LITERIDER tonneau cover Console cover w/Toyota logo Hondo radio knobs NeoSupreme seat covers TRD shift knob Toyota Dark Satin Alloy wheels Toyo Open Country AT3 tires Red glovebox lettering Red vent rings/ control knobs Husky all weather mats Toyota bed mat
    Curious as to what the problem was?

7. Jul 10, 2018 at 5:10 PM
    P8tron

P8tron Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM DCSB 4x4 OR
    Did you find a solution? I'm experiencing a similar issue...

8. Oct 14, 2018 at 10:47 PM
    oostroma

oostroma [OP] (Boomer)

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    I re-installed the speakers in the Crunchfield 6x9 adapter plates and experienced no shorting out issue. Therefore,still scratching my head as to why they short if I re-purpose the stock Toyota 6x9 speaker housing which is actually better because it has a wider shroud at the top which protects the speaker fro possible water damage from the window.
    Going to put a sound mat all the way around the 6x9 opening and then reinstall the speakers back into the stock Toyota 6x9 speaker housing. Will let you know the result.

9. Oct 15, 2018 at 12:01 PM
    Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5

The problem is right there somewhere.

Either a cold joint or you're getting it too hot and frying the leads.

I would use the aftermarket adapters and call it good, you know those work fine.

mctechhweng likes this.
  10. Oct 15, 2018 at 6:20 PM
    oostroma

oostroma [OP] (Boomer)

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    I did the same install for my daughter's 2016 Camry with no issue. I also did the same install for the rear 6.5" speaker install using stock speaker plates and no sound issue.
    Thinking that it could be a short using the stock speaker plates so I decided to cut the speaker leads and use the proper speaker harness adapters from Crutchfield, no change. Going to pull door panels again and continue troubleshooting.

11. Oct 15, 2018 at 6:38 PM
    Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5

According to this post you removed that variable and solved the problem. What's left to troubleshoot?

Products Discussed in

To Top