1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Speaker Upgrade for 09 Double cab

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Msgtwhite, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Feb 24, 2009 at 7:13 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    OP, do yourself a favor and go to some car audio stores and take a listen to what is out there. You may find that you can't tell the difference from a cheap set versus an expensive set or it may be a huge difference. All speakers have different attributes and sound qualities. What your ear hears is what matters. Everyone here can suggest stuff that they like, but it is your truck and your ears that have to listen to it. If you find some $5 flea market speakers that you really like, then buy them. If you find that you don't like Kenwood, but like Infinity or Pioneer or JL or you hate MB quart, then that is more important than what anyone here is going to tell you.

2. Feb 27, 2009 at 9:24 AM
    Berlin

Berlin Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner TRD Sport
    Is there some way to save the non-JBL headunit (i.e. can I add an amp or something like that)? I also have the 09 DC and agree the sound is awful. Why do you recommend 6.5" over 6x9? I was thinking of going the 6x9 route so I didn't have to put in subs. Thanks for the help.

3. Feb 27, 2009 at 9:41 AM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    You can add an amp to the factory non JBL headunit using a line out converter or you could also get an amp that has high level inputs. If you want to get the best performance from the factory headunit you would need one of the interfaces that overrides the factory processing and adds thing such as crossovers/eq etc (the drag is most of those cost as much as a good aftermarket headunit). Also, generally speaking 6x9's will give you more bass than the 6.5's however it won't be the same as having a properly set up sub.

4. Jan 13, 2010 at 3:30 PM
    usernametaken

usernametaken Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    My 'coma
    TRD CAI TRD Exhaust Leather, baby!
    Frankly, for stock stereo Toyota didn't do such a bad job. My 2002 beemer blows comparatively. BUT (and I have a big But) if you're an audiophile, paper speaks just don't cut it.

I've seen *********.com, etc. but really would like to know which speaks match best with the stock head unit. I like good sound, but don't want to spend $500 of shop time to get it. BMW had a vendor that did just that, sold replacement speaks that weren't paper, but matched replacements with all the goods.

I've always liked infinity, kenwood, etc. but when I go to CarToys (west coast) I get "you're going to need a power amp to push those" which negates the easy, stock aspect of replacement.

5. Jan 13, 2010 at 5:03 PM
    comatosed

comatosed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    Silver TRD Sport
    TRD roof rack, Roof Basket, Weather Tech liners, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Eclipse AVN726E dvd/nav, kicker door speakers, 8" kicker sub & amp, fox 2.0 coil overs, moab 2.0 front bumper, Full CBI Skid Set, CBI Offroad rear Bumper, CBI Sliders, BFG AT KO 2, Leer Topper setup for camping. Other mods-full synthetic, carbon filter, de-badged, center console lock.
    ^order from crutchfield they always have deals, just missed the polk audio deal, buy one get one half off. Those are good speakers, get a component set for the front and some 6.5 for the back for 300bucks total.

I just picked up an eclipse head unit, after purchasing quite a few other things from them and once again had a great experience. They will give you instructions, all necessary things to plug and play plus tech support. I know they aren't as cheap as other places but the prices are more than fair for what you get. I got a single din Panasonic head unit that has a great eq and it's nice about 3 years old paid about 200 bucks for it Im looking to get 69 shipped!

6. Jan 13, 2010 at 5:14 PM
    mmadej87

mmadej87 Mayday

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NMB, FL
    Vehicle:
    98 Xcab Prerunner
    pioneer FTW

Products Discussed in

To Top