1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Speaker upgrade

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bubba loui, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Aug 3, 2017 at 2:37 PM
    Bubba loui

Bubba loui [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
    I like those focal speakers myself. How much did all that run you total ? If you don't mind me asking.

2. Aug 3, 2017 at 8:37 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    No first-hand experience with the BA speakers, but they're supposed to be good. No rears in my AC, so can't speak to those and I went with component speakers to ensure a good match between woofers and tweeters.

An amp probably isn't required, but will provide better/more sound. For best results, however, a line-out converter should be used to filter the signal from the deck into an amp.

Sound insulation also is not required, but it tightens things up considerably while limiting outside noise.

"...not a thumpy-thump music guy" means you can probably skip a subwoofer, though I don't consider myself a thumpy-thump music guy and I prefer the fuller sound provided with a sub.

"Class D" is a type of amp that offers several advantages (e.g., smaller size, higher efficiency, and less power lost to heat) over other types.

Replacing speakers isn't very difficult, while adding an amp is a little more involved. I know you want to "do it once, do it right," but you should try upgrading the speakers to see if that works for you. If it does, you're done. If not, you can always undertake the more involved process of adding an amp. Crutchfield is a good place to get an idea of what's available/suitable for you application. Armed with that info, visit some local shop(s) to listen to various combos, and decide what sounds good to you.

I don't mind at all, but it's been a while. I shopped Amazon, eBay, Craigslist, etc for a few months leading up to the install to find the best deals on the components I wanted. IIRC, I paid APPROXIMATELY the following...
    - $65 for the Line Out Converter (new, but on sale)
    - $150 for the Amp (used, but in like new condition)
    - $300 for the Speakers (new, but open box)
    - $125 for the Sub (new, but on sale)
    - $225 for Sound Insulation (still have a bit left for another project)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Sprocket[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Aug 4, 2017 at 5:41 AM
    Sprocket

Sprocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm just getting back to this after a crazy week or so...Thanks for the input - very helpful.
    I notice most people aren't swapping out the tweeter. What's the reason there? More expense, little return?

Where does the sub-woofer live?

For sound deadening, are you pulling the carpet out and getting all that area front & back? Or just the doors? Looks like you spent the most of the insulation - was that the Hush Mat brand?

Any special tools, spare parts I should get to pull the panels?

Thanks again Norton - very helpful

Norton likes this.
  4. Aug 4, 2017 at 5:18 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    I'd guess some don't bother with tweeters because the biggest ROI is probably woofers. As you said, more expense with a lower return.

I went with a self-contained, slim sub designed to fit under a seat. Mine is under the driver seat, while the LOC and Amp are under the passenger.

I pulled most interior panels and the carpet, in addition to door panels, when I did mine...

5. Aug 4, 2017 at 10:21 PM
    Sprocket

Sprocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thanks Norton - you saved me a bundle on sound deadening insulation - no way I'm ripping all that out. I gotta drive to work in the morning...

OK - maybe the doors while I'm in there but yeah, seats stay as-is for this one.

Talking to some HAM friends - the tweeter would be a great location for a HAM radio speaker...not sure how that would sound though.

But all that aluminum might reflect...
    Sorry - wrong forum.

Norton likes this.
  6. Aug 5, 2017 at 1:34 PM
    Skyway

Skyway Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ande'
    St.Pete
    Vehicle:
    White 2009 regular cab