1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Speedo Re-calibrator question...

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by eltaco, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Aug 19, 2010 at 9:28 PM
    eltaco

eltaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 4x4 DC Offroad
    My appologies in advance, I know very little about these.

A buddy of mine is buying a Tundra, and lifting it a week later (heck yes!) He's been reading a bit on the Tundra forums, and he's been seeing quite a bit about Hypertech speedo re-calibrators. I understand how a re-calibrator functions to bring the speedometer and odometer back to reading correctly, but people on the Tundra forum are claiming that it also alters the shift-points. I'd have a hard time believing this, as I didn't expect that shift-points would be related to speed, so much as RPM/load, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Wouldn't a re-gear be the only option here?

This becomes a bigger issues on the Tacoma... I really struggle going up the mountain pass with my 285s. If this Hypertech can help, I'd be very interested in picking one up over the alterative of re-gearing.

2. Aug 20, 2010 at 5:38 AM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

Don't know if the recal unit will change the shift points but your friend's speedometer/odometer must be off a great deal to be worried about the shift points.
    That unit is not going to fix your over sized tire/lack of power/regearing problem with you Tacoma. Put some reasonable sized tires on your Taco or regear or get a more powerful/real truck.

3. Aug 20, 2010 at 7:01 AM
    eltaco

eltaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    '07 4x4 DC Offroad
    Hmm... that's funny. I was just sitting in my truck this morning, and can attest to the fact that it is a "real truck."

He'll be puting 305s on his Tundra. I have no idea how far off his speedo will be, and truthfully, that has nothing to do with the question that I have asked.

Thanks for your valuable input.

Next!

Products Discussed in

To Top