1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Speedometer Calibration

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Canyon lands, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Sep 20, 2020 at 2:46 PM
    Canyon lands

Canyon lands [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2015 red Tacoma TRD off-road
    3” lift, leer topper, James Baroud tent, Lund bull bar, 4 wheel running boards, Pioneer stereo, fosgate speakers, amp, bed slide, Thule racks, road shower
    Damn, I fat finger the tire size every time! May have to go back to one finger pecking:annoyed: You are correct, good thing you guys are out there to tell me what I’m trying to say, ‘cause I’m not getting it done.

2. Sep 20, 2020 at 2:58 PM
    Canyon lands

Canyon lands [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2015 red Tacoma TRD off-road
    3” lift, leer topper, James Baroud tent, Lund bull bar, 4 wheel running boards, Pioneer stereo, fosgate speakers, amp, bed slide, Thule racks, road shower
    Rock Lobster, using the link , that’s pretty much what I’m looking for. ! Rough Country’s Speedometer Calibration Devices don’t just simply change your in-dash readout, they update your vehicle’s ECM, ensuring accurate shift points and proper electronic stability control. However it’s for the 2016-20 models. I’m going to see if I can find something like that for the for the ‘15 Tacoma. Thanks. I will be using the maps app to test my speedometer. As said earlier, I wanted to verify my shift points also, and this would do the trick. Thanks for the ideas, everyone :101010:

3. Sep 21, 2020 at 2:41 PM
    Ritchie

Ritchie Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego (North County)
    Vehicle:
    RC Step side Pre-runner
    2.7 w/auto, 4WU 3 link, F & R Diamonds, ARB's F/R w/ Yukon 5.29's, Inchworm 4.7 Lefty, Deavers, ARB OBA, Schrockworks up front.
    Look at Dakota Digital.
    Great device and easy to install. Gives you options to go with larger tires in the future.

This setting with 4.88's and 265-75-16's and 5.29's and 285-75-16's.

With 4.88's.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    GilbertOz likes this.
  4. Sep 21, 2020 at 4:12 PM
    Taco-Grinder

Taco-Grinder It's all part of the adventure.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Fond du Lac, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport
    my tires 255/75/17
    I check over the weekend with GPS and two different radar trailers. My speedometer is off by 1mph doing 55 mph. Speedometer said 54 mph.

5. Sep 21, 2020 at 4:18 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    I run an AEM gps speedometer gauge. Pretty accurate, just takes a sec to acquire sat signal. Didn’t want to tap into gauge cluster wires for some of the other kits.

Canyon lands[OP] likes this.
  6. Oct 21, 2022 at 5:30 PM
    GilbertOz

GilbertOz Driver

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 AC 4L 6spd 4WD TRD OR
    Does this also correct the odometer so it clocks the correct number of real miles driven?

How about the ABS system? Do your anti-lock brakes continue to work normally with this unit installed?
    And what about cruise control (if you have factory/OEM cruise control.)

7. Oct 21, 2022 at 5:44 PM
    zero4

zero4 Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Donahoe CO, Donahoe Rear Resi, Deaver J59, 16" Pro Comp, 33" BFG AT, Hayden Trans Oil Cooler, Oil Filter Relocator, FM 40, ES Bushings, Beefed CB Drop, Deckplate, K&N Drop-In, DO Bed Bar, Cobra 75 WXST, Firestik Firefly, Philips D1R, Clarion Remote Start, Husky Liners
    I don't have a 2nd gen but yes it will correct the odometer if it gets it signal off the speedo sensor. Well that is how accurately you can calibrate the Dakota Digital.

ABS & cruise control should work fine also. All it does it alter the pulse signal of the speed sensor. I don't have ABS but my cruise control works perfectly fine. Been running mine (5E) for about 4 years now with no issues.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/my-dakota-digital-sgi-5e-install-speedometer-calibration.560236/

20180724_133219.jpg 20180724_133459.jpg

GilbertOz[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Oct 21, 2022 at 5:53 PM
    GilbertOz

GilbertOz Driver

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 AC 4L 6spd 4WD TRD OR

Thanks for this additional info.

I need the ability to easily switch speedo/odo calibrations w/ different tire sizes, as I have summer tires on a set of OEM 16" wheels, and winter/mud tires planned for a set of bigger 17" or 18" wheels. I don't want to have to keep track of odometer offsets when running non-stock tires.

I have a 2nd gen (2014) V6 MT which has ABS. The product web page for the Dakota Digital SGI-100BT specifically calls out, "not for use with ABS sensors or systems".

I have an email support query in-progress with Dakota Digital to seek clarification on the ABS issue. I.e. maybe it's possible to split the native/OEM signal before it goes into the Dakota unit, and feed the ABS unit the raw OEM speed signal, and then feed the speedometer/odometer the corrected signal from the Dakota Digital calibrator unit. Will follow up here when I learn more from DD pre-sales support.

zero4[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Oct 21, 2022 at 6:19 PM
    zero4

zero4 Metal Cutter

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    SFV, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' DCab 3.4L TRD
    Donahoe CO, Donahoe Rear Resi, Deaver J59, 16" Pro Comp, 33" BFG AT, Hayden Trans Oil Cooler, Oil Filter Relocator, FM 40, ES Bushings, Beefed CB Drop, Deckplate, K&N Drop-In, DO Bed Bar, Cobra 75 WXST, Firestik Firefly, Philips D1R, Clarion Remote Start, Husky Liners
    I see. I just looked at their website, looks like they discontinued the SGI-5, not on their site anymore & can't find it in stock anywhere. The manual for my SGI-5E says not for use to alter the signal going to the ABS system.

So what I think they mean is.... I believe some newer vehicles don't use speedo sensors on the transmission, transfer case, or whatever anymore. Instead they read the speed off wheel sensors which are also commonly used for the ABS system as well. So for vehicles that don't use a speedo sensor for the speedometer/odometer/ecu, you can't use one of these.

Products Discussed in

To Top