1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spidertrax on Highway?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JasonJump, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Nov 8, 2011 at 5:26 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    This goes with any non-Toyota part you put on the truck. Case in point: Uniball UCAs are generally considered to be much stronger than OEM UCAs, yet they can be unsafe if installed by a professional mechanic who isn't used to working with them:

[​IMG]

Truck bed caps are popular accessories, yet most of them reduce rearward visibility and create a larger blindspot. Are caps unsafe? No, but you may need to adjust your driving and lane-change habits to accommodate it.

2. Nov 8, 2011 at 5:30 PM
    tacomalex

tacomalex Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WV
    Vehicle:
    '11 SR5 2.7l 4x4
    plasti dip engine
    That was me, haha. The wheel spacer was hard as fuck to get off, the culprit of this was lugnuts that were too short.

I didn't notice but after it got towed to the dealer they showed me how there was just the tiniest amount of play in the washers, all the torque was just on the threads. Luckily they were completely cool about it and replaced all my lugnuts for free and gave me a free set of wheel locks. They replaced the rotor as well.

As for being stuck.. That was my fault :rolleyes:

3. Nov 8, 2011 at 7:12 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Spidertrax and 285s. Ran for 6 months no issues. Wheeled hard as well. Trip out to Moab included. Good to go.

Torqued to spec, used thread locker.

4. Nov 8, 2011 at 9:09 PM
    Toy Taco

Toy Taco Golden Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 dub cab trd off rd. spinnin all 4 tires
    the ones that do stuff
    every post here has a valid point. saying you have gone however many miles without any problems makes you a responsible owner of a modified vehicle (90% of the ppl here) and you set up and take care of your spacers or whatever aftermarket part you have installed, correctly. You could also be lucky like a drunk driver that makes it home without a DUI or killing someone. The same circumstances that apply to spacers apply to any suspension mod, less so for bumpers, camper tops, etc, but these are parts that are critical to keeping you car on the road or if they fall off or obstruct your view, cause a hazard on the road. The root cause to a failure of any aftermarket part (and even OEM parts) is improper instillation, HUMAN ERROR. It can happen in your garage, at the dealership, a manufacturing facility, or in the Toyota factory. WE ARE HUMAN, IT HAPPENS. I personally observe that it happens to spacers more often than anything else.

tacomalex: By the way it's awesome you were able to use you smartphone and this forum to get help relatively quickly, Bummer about the wheel, like i said, it happens, but awesome the dealership was cool with it and hooked you up, something even more rare than spacer problems!

5. Nov 10, 2011 at 1:48 PM
    ST3VE

ST3VE IG: @fishsohard

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    MD --> SC
    Tint, car seat, baby wipes
    I have the 3" spacers and over 75,000 miles on mine... NO issues at all.

6. Nov 10, 2011 at 2:06 PM
    Fodder4U

Fodder4U Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    The Colony, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 Access Cab 4x4 Stock for now.
    Yep I live pretty close to you and when I had my Jeep with the spacers all of the Discount Tires around here would not touch it.

My Jeep had no issues with the spacers and I ran them on it for 4 years. Some have had premature bearing failures running them but that is the only issue I have ever heard of with PROPERLY INSTALLED spacers.

7. Nov 10, 2011 at 4:40 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Any offset wheel will add to bearing wear.

8. Nov 10, 2011 at 4:49 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Well said man. If you aren't going to keep up on the added maintenance of an aftermarket part, you should just keep it stock. A lot of the aftermarket accessories add to the maintenance of a vehicle (shock rebuilds for example) and the person who put them on their truck should know what they're getting into before installation (much like the OP asking for opinions before purchasing).

Products Discussed in

To Top