1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

**** SPIED: 2016 TOYOTA HILUX PROTOTYPES ****

Discussion in 'Hilux' started by CMI, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Apr 28, 2014 at 9:04 PM
    Vantage

Vantage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Titan Pro 4x
    I too am eagerly awaiting a new Tacoma to unload my money to.

2. Apr 28, 2014 at 9:57 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    That is a 4runner in the pic where it says 05 double cab. With a very fitting 4rubber badge.

3. Apr 29, 2014 at 11:59 AM
    taco terror

taco terror 1st gen = best gen

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    1996 Black Tacoma, 3.4L
    4.56 ECGS regear, Wheelers 6 leaf pack, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s, AR Baja wheels, 33 BFG ATs, Line-x
    very interesting

4. Apr 29, 2014 at 1:14 PM
    TacoJonn

TacoJonn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB Sport 4x4, '78 FJ40
    I like most of you, are tired of the speculation. I at least want a date! I will speculate some more and say that the Gen 1 had the refreshed grill for 2001, 2002,2003 and 2005 before we got the Gen 2 Taco. If they are following that same formula, late 2015 we might be seeing the new Taco on the lots at your local Toyota dealer. My 2002 Tacoma should have no problem making it that far. Only 135,000 miles on her!

5. Apr 29, 2014 at 1:19 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    It makes no sense why Toyota wouldn't just test the new model here but do it at night time and disguise it so it looks like the current model. I mean it would be better to test it here considering it is an american designed and built truck.

6. Apr 29, 2014 at 10:12 PM
    CMI

CMI [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 V6 SR5 4x4 6-speed
    Welcome to Tacoma World! Was it a Scion or Subaru forum you chatted with me? I ironically saw your name on some Lexus site on Saturday when looking for some Land Cruiser stuff. I actually was told by someone at a local Toyota dealer, that someone from TMMTX told him referred to 2015 and that the next Tacoma would skip the current 4Runner and be related to the next one out in 2016.

That's when I started an exhaustive research on everything Tacoma/Hilux/4Runner/Prado/GX/Land Cruiser related. I observed the Toyota pattern regarding model codes and then came across 2016 informaton regarding 180 and 300. Since the current ones are 150 and 200, I figured it would match up. After sifting through billions of stupid phishing sites (2015newcarsite...), I also then saw the 2016 Hilux spy photos and checked to be sure if they were for once, legit.

I remember being somewhat shocked how no one else had really noticed. The Hilux hasn't even been redesigned in a nearly a decade and some of us were waiting on Toyota's moves on the Hilux as insight to future plans!

As for the SUVs, I thought they already facelifted those two for 2013? I remember the last gen had 2 facelifts, so that would make sense in this case too. Maybe you're right then? Everyone's been saying that Toyota is redesigning Prado n 2016 and the bigger 200 model in 2016 as well. The 4Runnner has a timetable of 7 years, so I figure it pans out. I hope we see spy shots soon, but what if they hide them? I rarely see Toyotas out testing for more than 6 months before presentation.

Thanks for the info! That just might be our answer as to why we haven't seen anything yet. It's probably there right now! I don't think Toyota is the type to test new models publicly in early prototype stages, so that stuff stays secret in private compounds. They do that indoors and it's probably why their spied prototypes don't look as rough as the European brands, that are spied in the earliest stage of prototypes with faux headlights.

Your welcome, but actually I don't think they would be testing it longer than 6 months ago. Knowing Toyota, the design process might have ended for the Hilux (and probably Tacoma too) sometime last year, which usually happens for a midsize truck, about 2 to 2 1/2 years before production begins. I think it takes half a year to construct a new prototype, so that's why we are barely seeing these now.

Honda's infamous for testing prototypes at night to disguise it from prying eyes. As for American-designed, that's actually true and false. The first generation Tacoma was designed by Calty alumni Kevin Hunter in 1991-92, but the second generation is the engineering work of Hino Japan and then-Hino designers Shigeya Hattori and Hideo Karikomi in 2001-02.

Hattori now actually works as a design director at Calty. You can't test a future model in the body of an old/current model, unless it's a test mule. Many components of vehicle need to be tested for serial development and a mule won't do the job. The problem is that, so many people mod their Tacomas around here, that such a vehicle like a test mule in a current gen body might have gone unnoticed easily.

Even so, Toyota will not send out prototypes to TMMTX, except in maybe pilot production trials (4-6 months before Job 1) or evaluation prototypes. They would purposely unveil it before then, to ensure no one peeks on secret stuff. Toyota will likely spend time testing pre-evaluation prototypes in their Japanese facilities or at their private ranch like SOS said above.

That can also be affected by Toyota developing it in Michigan instead of Hino in Japan. Thus making both TMMTX as of no relevance to Tacoma development, until trial production stages begin less than one year before launch, which is still around 18 months from now.

I do keep my eye out everyday for suspicious pickups and believe Toyota has at least brought a visual representation of the 2016 Tacoma here, at least once in the last year to high-ranking Toyota officials.

I hate on another note, how Infiniti secretly showcased 2 years worth of future product(2015-2017 models) right in my own backyard (San Antonio) last May without me even knowing about it. Toyota often does that too and attendees keep mum.

7. Apr 29, 2014 at 10:31 PM
    CMI

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 V6 SR5 4x4 6-speed
    I swear that carsguide has the WORST photo gallery interface anywhere, that it's finger-paining torture to navigate through it. Anyway, here's more below. Some people are claiming the LHD version is actually the Tacoma. I hope and pray it isn't, as don't really like the styling from what I see.

Hopefully Calty had a hand in the Tacoma instead and we will see that running elsewhere soon enough. It was apparently reported last year that Australia has a large role in 2016 Hilux development, so maybe Toyota Michigan might developing the Tacoma.

Our Closest Look Yet at the New Eighth-Generation Toyota Hilux ute.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Apr 30, 2014 at 12:40 PM
    dapetik

dapetik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Barboursville, Va
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    Magic bedcover, sweet ass floormats, rocket boosters, warp drive
    I've grown tired of waiting. Short of the next Taco having diesel, I'll switch to a f-150. At least Ford takes their trucks seriously. Toyota has relied on their name for far too long.

9. May 1, 2014 at 7:55 AM
    shane4x4

shane4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado Springs, CO
  10. May 11, 2014 at 9:09 AM
    CMI

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 V6 SR5 4x4 6-speed
    Thanks! I've thought about that, in getting tired of current mags (C&D, Auto Trend) and automotive-related (sites LLN, Auto Blog) getting information wrong so often. Nothing bothers me more, than how they mislead people with incorrect news. Unfortunately as a university student, that would be so tasking though. Great idea though!:)

11. May 12, 2014 at 5:43 AM
    NoDak

NoDak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Minot, ND
    Vehicle:
    16 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Blazing Blue
    bottom circle = exhaust location of a 2003 4runner (factory exhaust pointed straight out on the passenger side. its been like that for ages, hell even my new 2014 is still in the same dam location.

middle circle = reflector on 2003-2004 4runner. this was removed on the 2005+ models

top circle = notice the line, this is the same cutout for the rear door of a 4runner. if this was a taco, why would you put a cutout there in the middle of a wheel well.

05tacospy1.jpg

12. May 14, 2014 at 10:18 AM
    qdot2009

qdot2009 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    '13 Prerunner DC TRD Sport JBL
    I'm *trying* to hold out for the 3rd gen DC 4x4 Tacoma, but Toyota is killing me! I like the current models, but the fuel economy is whack. Plus I want a sunroof and heated mirrors. Interestingly enough, I don't think the new Colorado/Canyon will offer a sunroof which is sad.

13. May 15, 2014 at 8:13 AM
    TacoJonn

TacoJonn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Laramie, Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB Sport 4x4, '78 FJ40
    I don't think that it's Toyota not taking their trucks seriously, they just knew they were in a good position of dominating the mid-sized market. For being a decade old, the Tacoma still looks surprisingly modern.

My ideal third-gen Taco would have the following:
    7,000 lb towing capacity
    25 mpg highway
    Manual transmission option on all trim levels

I am not optimistic about the manual transmission option. However Toyota realizes the Tacoma demographic is one that would buy a lot of manual transmissions if they offered them.

Toyota: If you are watching this forum, please give us something! We want to give you our money!

14. May 16, 2014 at 9:33 PM
    RIKDRT1

RIKDRT1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SanDiego, CA
    Vehicle:
    LongBed Black Beauty 4x4
    I think manual transmissions even in trucks are dying. they are already dying in the sports car segment - which has always been the most demanding of this.
    I hope they do way better than 25. remember, they are all gauged by the smallest 4cy truck. so, the xtra-cab 4cy needs in my mind, to get over 30 or else forget it. that way , the V6 might be 28.. 4x4 maybe 26 in fully loaded config. there is no way that they cant do this.
    I agree, the Ford is looking so good nowadays, and I too am waiting to see the GM product. Its going to be hard to look at that and wait any more time after this years end .. Toyota dominated a market with nobody else in it. they could of done a lot to get the 3rd GEN by now. Like the other guy says -- I hope you guys in Japan or San Antonio are listening.

I think GM will get a lot of sales. I feel a lot of people like me settled for stupid compact SUV's or RAV4 to try to get 30mpg and be able to tow some stuff around in the back -- if GM comes out with their truck and it can do close to 30MPG, lots of people that settled for these girly SUV's and guys driving trucks doing 12-16mpg are going to jump the hell off . Wake up Toyota -- sad to think you haven't done anything earthshattering in 10yrs. that's just stupid in so many ways.

15. May 21, 2014 at 7:18 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Carscoops render based on the spy photos:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. May 21, 2014 at 7:20 PM
    dapetik

dapetik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Barboursville, Va
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    Magic bedcover, sweet ass floormats, rocket boosters, warp drive
    Looks a lot like the VW Amarok huh? Damn you Toyota for the suspense. Every other manufacturer leaks something!

17. May 21, 2014 at 7:30 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    I just hope the new Tacoma won't grow larger.

18. May 21, 2014 at 11:45 PM
    RIKDRT1

RIKDRT1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SanDiego, CA
    Vehicle:
    LongBed Black Beauty 4x4
    time is ticking away for me ... as well.
    just want to keep this thread going so were not forgotten !

19. May 23, 2014 at 5:18 PM
    wgreenlee1021

wgreenlee1021 Off the Meds Again...

Member:
    Good luck with yer ecoboost!:thumbsup:

20. May 27, 2014 at 1:27 PM
    tommyg29

tommyg29 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB PreRunner Sport
    Great information here!
    But...Im sorry. Maybe I'm alone here but I think those alleged 2015/2016 tacos are ugly as sin.
    Regardless, I want/need something with better mpg's, DI/diesel, whatever it takes to improve efficiency and performance, and of course still with the most bullet proof drivetrain available.
    Thats what I'm waiting for, and will gladly trade my 2012 for.
    Actually, if the new truck is as ugly as that, my 2012 will probably go UP in value!

Wish they could use something like the new 4runner front end. Mean looking.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
To Top