1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spiker Engineering High lift hood struts for the 3rd Gen Tacoma

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by SpikerEng, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Aug 8, 2020 at 7:16 AM
    DES2009

DES2009 Minister of Truth

Member:
    Southeast Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Limited
    I'm a Millionaire! One Million Posts!!
    I have no "vested interest". I don't sell Spiker or any other brand, nor do I have one installed. I was born in 1953, and owned my first Toyota in 1972.
    Your initial comments seemed to question whether the Tacoma hood had enough structural integrity to support itself if it was being propped open by the Spiker device that attaches midway up the length of the hood vs. the original Tacoma prop-rod that supports the hood from the very top. My reply to you included a picture of the Sokietech device, which attaches to the hood very near the hinge point. Before retiring, I worked in electrical engineering (not mechanical) but it's pretty obvious to me that the opened hood is under much greater stress with the Sokietech than the Spiker or Redline. But after several years, I have seen no reports of hoods crumpling due to the Sokietech.

Sokietech
    [​IMG]

Spiker
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    SpikerEng[OP] and Grindstone like this.
  2. Aug 8, 2020 at 7:42 AM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    He is absolutely trolling. No doubt now with his comments. Anyone who spends time here - especially in 3rd Gen knows this isn't a Toyota Love Fest.

3. Aug 8, 2020 at 7:46 AM
    SpikerEng

SpikerEng [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Leon
    Palos Verdes, CA
    I answered the one technical question you asked (load carrying ability of the hardware). I said it has a factor of safety of 8. As you no doubt know, that is significantly higher than most things in your plane, where the consequence of a failure is slightly higher than a hood strut coming loose.

As to some of your other points:

The hood sheetmetal is thick enough to support the applied loads, with about 3X safety factor for yield strength. The struts do not apply an upward load to the hood stiffener, the load is applied mostly along the length of the hood stiffener. So no, you will not see the hood bulge up due to the strut extension force. As @DES2009 correctly pointed out, some other hood strut systems place significant loads into the hood itself; our design does not.

Spiker's engineers do know the piston force and the torque imposed on the hood, that's how you design a hood strut system.

The piston force is indeed highest in the compressed state. That is also the state where the force is applied almost entirely along the hood stiffener, reducing concerns about hood bending.

The underside of the Tundra and Lexus hoods are very similar to the Tacoma. The reason that some trucks have struts and some don't is not some technical feature or lack thereof, but cost.

No one will warranty your truck for consequential damage using their products. Read the warranty of any aftermarket product, they will all say that only the product itself is warranted. No one can control how you install their product or how you use it, so if you flip a lifted truck or fry your electrical system after adding a fuse box, that's on you.

It is indeed. I have 35 years of mechanical engineering experience with aerospace actuators and fastening systems, so I am happy to talk technical aspects all day long. I have no concerns about this product, or I would never bring it to market.

As you can see from the responses, no one has had any issues with it - that's not being "defensive", that's data.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    zonzin, BudFriendguy, No37 and 5 others like this.
  4. Aug 8, 2020 at 4:39 PM
    SmileyGuy

SmileyGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrin
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    20 Tacoma Off Road Voodoo Blue DC SB TRD Premium CAN
    Very odd a new member starts in a vendor upgrade thread with so many long posts. The person may be from a competing company and made a bogus member profile. If they knew so much to say if was not engineered correctly, they never offered an alternative bracket or method of install. Very odd but only my opinion.

I personally do not see any issues with the Spiker hood struts or the great support that is available for them. I highly recommend these first before adding lights, harnesses, extra batteries etc. If mine break after warranty I'll buy another set the same day!

5. Aug 8, 2020 at 4:58 PM
    NorrinRadd

NorrinRadd Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Sport, access cab, MT, Eibach 2.0 stage 2, tow, silver.
    FWIW I stumbled across this thread and wanted to say that I'm a very satisfied customer of these hood struts.

I installed them at the max height I could because I hit my head a few months ago while putting on a K&N filter and got pissed so bought these. They're great! So easy to open and close the hood now. I took my time, measured constantly, put the brackets at the correct spots, sprayed primer on the holes I drilled, everything worked perfectly the first time. Installation took me about three hours and two beers but I was moving slowly and reading the instructions over and over.

6. Aug 8, 2020 at 5:22 PM
    SpikerEng

Member:
    First Name:
    Leon
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Well since he went back and deleted his posts, I re-quoted the relevant portions of his original posts to put my responses in context.

7. Aug 8, 2020 at 5:32 PM
    SmileyGuy

SmileyGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrin
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    20 Tacoma Off Road Voodoo Blue DC SB TRD Premium CAN
    Rangerider completely gone.

No posts found...

8. Aug 9, 2020 at 2:02 AM
    Devious6

Devious6 Not your Average College President Emeritus

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Northeast Pennsyltuckyvania
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    Why am I not surprised?

9. Sep 15, 2020 at 6:27 AM
    Pablo8

Pablo8 Here!

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Everson WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Sport 4X4 MT AC
    OVT, 4.88, ADM, F&R ARB lock, KO2's, RWD L MOD
    Sept Update. No issues, probably pop my hood once a week or more, checking, cleaning, thinking of a mods. No rust, farts, pops, bending or Chevy hood doubling over. :thumbsup::D

SpikerEng[OP] and wahoobie like this.
  10. Sep 16, 2020 at 2:58 PM
    SpikerEng

Member:
    First Name:
    Leon
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Good to hear, thanks for the update! Should be good for many years to come :thumbsup:

11. Sep 27, 2020 at 7:07 PM
    No37

No37 Member

Member:
    Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 Double Cab 6A TRD Sport Premium
    Count me in as another satisfied customer. Easy installation, clear instructions and available YouTube videos. What really surprised me is the intense feeling of satisfaction I get everytime I unlock the safety latch and watch the hood float up into that high lift position. Thanks Spiker & Leon for the great mod and the attentive customer service.

SpikerEng[OP] likes this.
  12. Mar 1, 2021 at 12:50 PM
    Lateralus01

Lateralus01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tacoma TRD OR DCSB 4x4
    Installed this kit a few months back. And I love it! I took advantage of the max opening height. Now I am considering adding ditch lights. Are there any ditch light brackets that will work with the max opening height without hitting the windshield?

13. Mar 1, 2021 at 5:24 PM
    SpikerEng

Member:
    First Name:
    Leon
    Palos Verdes, CA
    We don't keep a list of what ditch lights work with the higher lift, but look for something that is low profile (thickness). Many ditch lights use brackets that are adjustable fore/aft, so you can bias them as far forward as needed (usually).

Lateralus01[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Mar 1, 2021 at 8:10 PM
    Lateralus01

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thank you. I will keep looking.

15. Mar 1, 2021 at 8:21 PM
    RatDaddy

RatDaddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roy
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD O/R Premium pkg
    None
    This is nice. Gotta order one

16. Mar 2, 2021 at 11:30 AM
    S2KON2

S2KON2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal (SFV)
    I've had mine one for about 7-8 months. I open/close my hood on average of at least 4 times a week, every week. I open/close the hood from the sides, from the middle, with one or both hands. I even drilled one of the mounting holes in the wrong area, where it wouldn't allow the hood to close. Absolutely ZERO issues. I even had 3 other friends buy the kit.

2nd best money I spent, after rubber bed mat, on the truck.

17. Mar 2, 2021 at 1:09 PM
    SpikerEng

Member:
    First Name:
    Leon
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Thanks for that feedback and vote of confidence. BTW, in the past few months, we've upgraded our lineup to the ULTIMATE Lift hood struts, which can raise the hood by up to 8" above stock height - https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...timate-lift-hood-struts-now-available.689163/

S2KON2[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Mar 2, 2021 at 1:33 PM
    Lateralus01

Member:
    Vehicle:
  19. Mar 2, 2021 at 5:09 PM
    SpikerEng

Member:
    First Name:
    Leon
    Palos Verdes, CA
    No worries, this works just fine! Our webpage only has the newer models available, so there should be no confusion :thumbsup:.

Lateralus01[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Mar 20, 2021 at 9:19 PM
    VTCAL

VTCAL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Sport
    Just got the set today! Shipping tube packaging is a real PLUS!

I pulled out the install instructions and read them. (Not something a guy does, but "Oh Well"). Looks straight forward. I think I'll go with +3 inch hood lift. Decisions .... Decisions....

Might get them installed tomorrow. It's supposed to be nice weather.

Products Discussed in

To Top