1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spindle gusset question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Redgrom, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Jan 6, 2012 at 5:58 PM
    Redgrom

Redgrom [OP] http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    4x4 taco and 96 ford bronco
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    Found lots of info on spindles when I searched but have a question about gussets for a 4x4. Was told by a local shop that welding on gussets would not add strength because the heat from the weld would weaken the metal? By the way the shop/company makes spindles so I kind of believe them. Anyone feel otherwise? Just trying to beef up a few week spots before they break at a bad time, like 300 miles from home with no cell service in Mexico :D
    Thanks

2. Jan 6, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    Redgrom

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    ATO front skid (need more but icon's might fail if I hang anything else from my truck) All-Pro front bumper thanks to a good deal here and a pesky encounter with a rock or 20, total chaos uppers.
    They only make them for 2wd, they talked me out of spending $$?

3. Jan 6, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    Redgrom

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    But thanks for the reply. Good to know its not a common issue with gussets.

4. Jan 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    North Pole, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Money pit.
    The stock spindle is no different on a prerunner than on a 4x4. Gussets will not weaken the spindle. Lift spindles only work on 2WD.

No one makes an aftermarket spindle for the 4x4's (SDHQ has done a few one off's, but no production). Total Chaos makes weld it yourself spindle gussets. Highly recommend using them.

5. Jan 6, 2012 at 6:15 PM
    theduck911

theduck911 Max's Canadian Twin

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    It's a difference of opinions, Spindles are believed to keep the them from bending as Aaron (Blackhawke88) experienced at Superstition last year (I think that's when it was) when he hit a big ditch. It's a "what if" situation, as some think with gusseted spindles it wouldn't have bent, but the energy/load needs to go somewhere so it can/is possible it would get transferred to another point possibly causing more damage/harm then good. I don't know the exact properties of the spindles but I'm pretty sure they're Cast Iron which means they require special treatment/technique for welding on properly.

I personally have gusseted spindles (which were just plain old MIG welded), not sure how much they do, but I'm sure they do give added bending strength, whether not it's a good/helpful thing I don't know exactly :cool:

6. Jan 6, 2012 at 6:24 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I'm pretty much in the group Duck911 espoused - might as well let the spindles be the weak point. They're relatively inexpensive and relatively quick to replace. PLus, you can drive home on a bent spindle. You can't drive home on a busted control arm.

Spare spindle sets can be had on the web for $50 to $100 + shipping, and it's not too bad of a job at all to remove/replace them.

7. Jan 6, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    Redgrom

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    san clemente
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info, as usuall very helpful.

To Top