1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Splice 09 roof antenna coax, save $70

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by coma09, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Aug 1, 2009 at 7:25 AM
    coma09

coma09 [OP] Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco access cab 4x4
    For those that want a pic and some description how to avoid buying the shark fin adapter.
    OK - you bought your Sirius tuner and toySC1 converter. It came with an antenna with many feet of perfectly good coax and a connector for the Sirius tuner.
    You have a factory antenna in a great location for reception & it has a coax.
    Hmmm why not just splice them ! OK so I read that in one of the posts - lol! but it didn't show pics of our truck.
    - the antenna cable runs in the door threshold track, drivers side.
    - lift the threshold, fish out the coax
    - cut it closer to the firewall, this should give you 5 or 6 inches of cable to work with
    - route the Sirius coax and leave a couple feet slack for adjustments.
    - strip jacket off coaxes
    - push back braid
    - strip center conductors
    - peel a bit of foil back from center insulation
    - install heat shrinks
    - solder center conductor
    - heat center shrink
    - push braids back so they overlap
    - center 2nd heat shrink over braid joint & heat
    - test radio before buttoning it all back up

The coax in the truck has a braided center conductor. The Sirius coax has a solid conductor, and it's pretty fragile, so don't move it excessively.

Note - this is a really poor example of coax splicing technique. I'd never do a job like this for a professional installation for a customer. This is a low tech, cheap way to 'git er done'. However I have taken the truck for a drive before posting here, and drove all points of the compass. Clean uniterrupted music ...
    The heat shrink shown here is a bit too big for the center. Use a smaller size. I wound up using electrical tape on the centre just to get the job done.

Interesting side note - Had 2 previous gm vehicles with on-board xm. Always in one part of town, the signal was shaded by tall buildings on the south side of the st. With Sirius - I have continuous reception in this locale. Glad I made the switch to Sirius. (GTA area, Ontario) Coax splice definitely not a factor in reception. Did a bit of checking, and Sirius and XM use different satellites. Obviously in different orbits.

coax_loc.jpg
    coaxes_joined.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top