1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Splice 09 roof antenna coax, save $70

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by coma09, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Aug 1, 2009 at 7:25 AM

coma09 [OP] Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?

Jun 22, 2009
    BC Canada
    2013 taco access cab 4x4
    Putco led map light bulbs, bed mat, Xiang trifecta tonneau, blackout front emblem, paint tow hoop, led bed light strip, scan gauge II, debadge, buff paint, oem fog light kit, 1000w inverter, Viair 300P compressor, Contura V dash switches, chop last L bend from exhaust, remove charcoal air filter, extinguisher, mag light, Ss side steps, kayak rack, tailgate security, bed mat security
    For those that want a pic and some description how to avoid buying the shark fin adapter.
    OK - you bought your Sirius tuner and toySC1 converter. It came with an antenna with many feet of perfectly good coax and a connector for the Sirius tuner.
    You have a factory antenna in a great location for reception & it has a coax.
    Hmmm why not just splice them ! OK so I read that in one of the posts - lol! but it didn't show pics of our truck.
    - the antenna cable runs in the door threshold track, drivers side.
    - lift the threshold, fish out the coax
    - cut it closer to the firewall, this should give you 5 or 6 inches of cable to work with
    - route the Sirius coax and leave a couple feet slack for adjustments.
    - strip jacket off coaxes
    - push back braid
    - strip center conductors
    - peel a bit of foil back from center insulation
    - install heat shrinks
    - solder center conductor
    - heat center shrink
    - push braids back so they overlap
    - center 2nd heat shrink over braid joint & heat
    - test radio before buttoning it all back up

The coax in the truck has a braided center conductor. The Sirius coax has a solid conductor, and it's pretty fragile, so don't move it excessively.

Note - this is a really poor example of coax splicing technique. I'd never do a job like this for a professional installation for a customer. This is a low tech, cheap way to 'git er done'. However I have taken the truck for a drive before posting here, and drove all points of the compass. Clean uniterrupted music ...
    The heat shrink shown here is a bit too big for the center. Use a smaller size. I wound up using electrical tape on the centre just to get the job done.

Interesting side note - Had 2 previous gm vehicles with on-board xm. Always in one part of town, the signal was shaded by tall buildings on the south side of the st. With Sirius - I have continuous reception in this locale. Glad I made the switch to Sirius. (GTA area, Ontario) Coax splice definitely not a factor in reception. Did a bit of checking, and Sirius and XM use different satellites. Obviously in different orbits.

To Top