1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Splitting 5th channel of amp

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by rod11, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Jun 5, 2009 at 7:15 AM
    rod11

rod11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    09 Pyrite Mica DC Prerunner TRD Sport
    I'm trying to help a buddy of mine build a system and am not sure about something. If he goes with a 5 channel amp to power 4 doors and 2 subs, is it possible to split the 5th channel and run to both subs? If so, do the ohms of the subs make a difference? I know nothing about ohms so not even sure if this plays a role.

The amp will be an Alpine 5 channel that pushes 300 watts RMS from the 5th channel.

2. Jun 5, 2009 at 7:56 AM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    you cannot "split" the 5th channel.

The ohm load does make a difference and how you arrive at the correct ohm load will depend on what ohm the subs are.

You'll want to keep this to a 4 ohm load...so you'll either have two 2-ohm subs wired in series or two 8-ohm subs wired in parallel to get that over all 4 ohm load.

Parallel wiring is:
    + from amp to + first sub, then CONTINUE to 2nd sub + (do the same for -)

Series wiring is:
    + from amp to + first sub, then - on first sub to + on second sub, then - from second sub to - on amp (we are talking about speaker inputs here, not the 12v +/-)

3. Jun 5, 2009 at 8:05 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    GoBlue is correct. :D

4. Jun 5, 2009 at 8:41 AM
    rod11

rod11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    09 Pyrite Mica DC Prerunner TRD Sport
    That makes sense. Thanks GoBlue. You've been my #1 source for all things audio :)

5. Jun 5, 2009 at 12:37 PM
    johnecon2001

johnecon2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab
    Downey front skid, Trail Gear U-Bolt flip, Toytec AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Bilstein 5100's x4 + Eibach adjustable coils, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Custom Rear bumper, TRD OffRoad front tow hook, TRD Trail Team wheels, Federal Couragia M/T 265's, ARB rear locker + on board air (CKMA12), TRD shift knob, Alpine W205, TRD seat covers, Tom Woods 1 Piece drive shaft, Powermaster D2700, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders.
    If it's the PDX-5, you can run it at 2 ohms as well as 4 ohms.

Post up which subs you have, and we can draw you a diagram on how to wire them (if even possible with the PDX-5)

6. Jun 5, 2009 at 12:45 PM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    Since the PDX does the same for either 2 or 4 ohm and he didn't mention what he had, I kept it simple and left it at 4 ohms. That way if he had the older 5 channel he was still gtg. But you are correct.

7. Jun 5, 2009 at 12:51 PM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner

I am only an old installer just getting back into this "sport". Lots has changed since the early-mid 90's. What used to be top-shelf equipment then is now MAYBE mid-pack stuff. And there are waaaaaaaay more choices these days. Almost too many IMO.

I like to follow the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid) when doing this sort of stuff. I feel for the poor souls that get "sold" on equipment and pay out the nose for it, and not realize there is just as good equipment out there for less. One brand is not better over the other. Install is the key. I only try to pass this along to others as it was to me.:cheers:

Products Discussed in

To Top