1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sport Bar or Roll Bar? What Do You Call 'Em?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by ROBMOTIVE, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Feb 23, 2021 at 2:19 PM
    CrazyAirborne

CrazyAirborne Who jumps out of perfectly good airplanes?

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport

while I can appreciate that point of view, I would say that learning how best to search youtube, how best to wade through the crap to find the gold, is part of a learning process. You have to invest a little bit of time into platform to find the great content creators. The guys who actually know their stuff and happen to share that knowledge on youtube. yes it might take a little longer than instant, but buying a book on Amazon takes way longer to find the answer than sifting through a few videos. some people (most maybe) find watching someone do it to be much more helpful than reading how to do it. I dont live near family or have a buddy who knows how to fix "X" thing on my lawnmower for example. spent a little bit of time on youtube, found a video describing how to fix the problem i was having, watched the whole thing, matched my scenario perfectly, ordered the part, fixed it myself. Saved me tons of downtime taking my rider somewhere to have the bushing replaced.

as far as knowing if its good answers you are getting, hopefully the video shows the end result, so you know if the widget will work the way you wanted or the resolution is one that is satisfactory.

ok we have really derailed from the thread here :D

hiPSI[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Feb 23, 2021 at 3:01 PM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    I've called it a McFly style roll bar to simplify things, but in reality it's a strictly cosmetic piece I put on all my trucks.

I could argue that the one on my 93 would offer at least a tiny bit of protection as it was thicker tubes actually bolted to the bed floor, but it would ultimately punch through the bed floor (though I've seen that happen with an AutoPower bolt-in roll cage on a Mustang).

The 2013 and 2016...bed light mounts that wouldn't hold up to a pebble landing on them. I could care less though, I think they're rad. If everyone on the site told me they looked stupid, I'd still rock it.

3. Feb 23, 2021 at 3:15 PM
    ROBMOTIVE

ROBMOTIVE [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma SR5
    Many!!
    Couldn't disagree more (and no...not because I'm a YouTuber). I've always been a visual learner and video for me is a much better way to learn.

4. Feb 23, 2021 at 3:18 PM
    Sig Taco

Sig Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Taco DCSB
    Icon Rebounds 17x8.5 Toyo 35/12.5/17 JBA UCA, Bilstein 6112/5160, KDMax
    Looks badass.

Is that custom or there's more for sale?

5. Feb 23, 2021 at 3:27 PM
    Juisebocks

Juisebocks Commander of the Inglorious Badger

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 2.7L AT OPAF,DTF&PITA
    "Stock+"
    I'm pretty sure your argument is invalidated by the fact that you're trying to compare a video of somebody demonstrating something to asking another real person to demonstrate something. Words or videos, you pick, it's the same thing if you're seeking help, one is just more interactive for people who don't know how to find information on their own.

However, I'm only speaking from my personal anecdotal experience of using the videos found here: https://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

I also gained the entirety of my hobby knowledge base in CAD and Gcode, as well as my knowledge of electrical circuitry and coding in python and C languages from videos and other various sources. But hey, whatevs.

EDIT: it also sounds like you lack experience in how to filter "good" channels from "bad". Generally speaking, it just takes a certain experience in how to find people that make the content you want. But like you said, if you don't know how to do something, you might go about picking random videos to watch.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021

Products Discussed in

To Top