1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

spring compressors?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacomazach, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Oct 25, 2011 at 12:56 PM
    tacomazach

tacomazach [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    01 doublecab 4x4
    I posted this in the suspension section but got no reply.

What spring compressors have ya'll used that held up well?

I went to install my 882s on my truck the other day and was going to use a spring compressor of a friend's that used u-bolts. Once the struts were assembled the coils were too close together to get the u-bolts out. I tried again with a compressor I rented from autozone yesterday. It looked like this:

KD_Tools_3387_Macpherson_Strut_Spring_Co_b25ae547c8d448b8a047515dd005836538ef7d8d.jpg

I had the same problem with it. The hooks were too thick to remove from the coils once assembled. So what compressors have ya'll used and where did you get them?

I saw some at advanced auto parts that looked like they could be removed, but also looked flimsy. I'd be scared to use them

2. Oct 25, 2011 at 1:08 PM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    nickpasquale92 likes this.
  3. Oct 25, 2011 at 4:14 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    Once you decompress the springs, try to take the bolt all the way off and the hooks should come out. Also, try to connect them one coil lower.

4. Oct 25, 2011 at 4:16 PM
    tacomazach

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    01 doublecab 4x4
    I did

5. Oct 25, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    trdracing5

trdracing5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SR5
    I feel your pain. I had a similar problem with the same coil compressors when installing my OME 880s. What I did is, once the coils were assembled, I unscrewed the threaded shaft until one it came out of both of the hooks. Then I just took the two hooks off the coils. Only thing I could come up with.

6. Oct 25, 2011 at 8:17 PM
    tacomazach

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    01 doublecab 4x4
    There must be some difference between the 880s and 882s cause I tried what you did and it was still too tight to get out.

7. Oct 25, 2011 at 8:26 PM
    ThreeMan

ThreeMan Opinions Vary...

Member:
    Oswego, NY
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD DCLB
    King Remote Resi Suspension - Total Chaos UCAs - Full Katzkin Leather - Leer Camper Shell - Custom Projector Halo Headlights - HID Fogs - Eagle Eye LED tail lights - Rigid Industries LED Light Bar Mounted in Bumper - Wade In-channel Vent Visors - K&N Filter - 20% on the fronts - Dakar Progressive Leafs - Fuel Beast Wheels wrapped in Hankook Dynapro ATMs - 4 Tie Down Mod - Pop N Lock - Billet Grille - Weathertech Mats - LED Map and Dome Lights - Optima Yellow Top - Redline Elite Hood Struts - Tunes: Eclipse 7100 HU - Eclipse IPC-106 Interface - Audison LRX 5.1K - Hertz Mille MLK2 Components - JL 13TW5 - JL cables and wires - Fully Deadened with SDS products - Metra dash kit - Custom Sub Box and Amp Rack - Still Under Construction.
    Those are junk. I had to pry the coils apart with a bar to get them out. I ended stealing a Mac 4-Ton Hydraulic Compressor. Took less than a 5 minutes each side. If you were closer I'd do it for you.

8. Oct 25, 2011 at 8:44 PM
    tacomazach

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    01 doublecab 4x4
    Has anyone actually done this?

It looks like I gotta find someone with one of these.

9. Oct 25, 2011 at 9:22 PM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    I sure as hell wouldnt :bananadead:

10. Oct 25, 2011 at 9:27 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    The u bolt style ones are crap for large springs ie unsafe. The ones you get from auto zone are next best to the wall or bench mounted version. Try sliding the hooks more toward the middle of the spring to get them off for the autozone version.

11. Oct 25, 2011 at 9:48 PM
    tacomazach

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    01 doublecab 4x4
    The u-bolt ones of my buddies were very strong. not like the ones I've seen in stores. his held up much better than the autozone ones. they were almost easy to tighten. I did a quick search and couldn't find any pictures of one like his.

and seriously.. I tried like everything to get them off. are there no other designs?

12. Oct 25, 2011 at 9:49 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

I am thinking of the ones they sell at pep boys, they are for lil civic springs.

13. Oct 26, 2011 at 2:33 PM
    x2468

x2468 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    I had the same problem. especially since OME shocks are so wide. I took the entire shaft out, and then rotated the hooks around the spring until i got it to the narrowest part of the shock and wiggled them out. Was a bit of a bitch. Kind of wish I had done it the way that video describes with the floor jack! that looks so easy! to bad it was posted in august and i did mine in june.

I never got an alignment after though like it suggests... but then again i didn't unbolt and of the control arms.

14. Oct 26, 2011 at 2:43 PM
    Taco76087

Taco76087 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Weatherford,Texas
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma prerunner TRD SR5
    Rockford Fosgate p2 10'', Q-Logic Enclosure, JVC KD-PDR30 Ipod Connection, Rockford p200.2 Amp, Clear Corners, KING Coilovers, Rancho Rear shocks FJ TRD Trail Teams Wheels with 285/75/16 Duratracs
    Use a wood splitting wedge to give more space between the coils, that's what I did, hit it in till the compressor head could fit on the coil, as high as possible, hit it out, then start compressing, when you swap everything out, and need to get the compressor heads off, just put the wedge back in and they'll fall out.

[​IMG]

15. Oct 26, 2011 at 2:47 PM
    Tacomanator

Tacomanator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clam Slammer
    Southern Cali
    King 2.5" extended travel coilovers with compression adjusters, Camburg UCA's, King 2.5" rear shocks, TRD 1st gen CAI.
    I used that method not too long ago when I replaced my top plate. Pretty easy.

16. Oct 26, 2011 at 3:21 PM
    RecklessTaco

RecklessTaco Livin the Dream

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Topaz Lake, Nv.
    Vehicle:
    08 Dbl Cab Prerunner TRD Sport Debadged
    ENGAGE LT KIT, King 2.5x 8" coilovers w/600lb 18"coil springs, a custom built leaf pack in the rear by OMD, and a custom built prerunner bumper by SurfInferno. 35x12.50-17General Grabbers on 17x9 Black MB Wheels rims, Volant CAI w/Amsoil dry filter, Volant Ram Air, Poweraid Throttle body spacer, URD MAF Calibrator, Flowmaster40, Uniden Bearcat cb w/ 4' fire fly firestick antenna, & a Icom V80 Handheld(Modded for race channels)
    I was gonna say the same thing! Much easier and safer then the cheap compressors the op is refering to. there is no chance of the spring flying out and hurting you. Pretty simple to me!:D

17. Oct 27, 2011 at 10:00 AM
    tacomazach

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    01 doublecab 4x4
    That's what I'm going to do next chance I get

18. Oct 27, 2011 at 11:28 AM
    JohnnYp

JohnnYp Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5
    throttle body spacer k&N cold air intake stage 2 clutch kit Gibson cat back exhaust kit bed liner and rocker panel lined
    You could allways do it like THIS

:devil:

19. Oct 28, 2011 at 4:03 AM
    RacerP

RacerP Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4
    7th Injector kit, Trans Cooler, Donohoe c/o's, Billy's in the rear, FJ Cruiser Trail Team SE wheels.
    Anyone ever try to use aircraft grade banding straps? I have seen the guy on Wheeler Dealer from DiscoveryHD use banding straps on the front suspension with the car on a lift.

I used the cheapos from Harbor Freight to get my springs off my ICONS to have them rebuilt, but, the damn things distorted so much, and no way I am going to use those again to get the springs back in.

20. Nov 7, 2011 at 5:28 PM
    YotaMark

YotaMark Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Mentor, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4 cyl 5 speed 4X4
    Rear Gate security Mod (although I seldom take my eyes off it) "Harsh Ride" Shocks and Springs TSB performed by "Me" New Cooper Discoverer AT3s 265/75R16s (fit well) Front "Tacoma Mike" light mod! Rugged Ridge floor mats. Bought another set of D rings and installed them in my wheel well. Perfect! Just hit the big 6000 Miles 12/19/11, Installed an alarm system to go with my factory power door locks 1/21/12
    Some I use to take them apart on the floor with an impact, and assemble them in a wall mounted strut compressor.
    Some I actually used the lift to compress it (KIA amantis)
    Most I used a wall mounted spring compressor. I haven't used a cheapo Harbor Freight one in years....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&NR=1&v=XEQq0_xeg6g

Products Discussed in

To Top