1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spring rust treatment coming up. Please read.

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by rhowell, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Feb 16, 2014 at 8:37 PM
    rhowell

rhowell [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    -Leather with Heated seats -AFE cold Air Intake -DE-jr Rims -Upper and Lower grills from Black Diamond Fabrication -Light bar behind grill -Hella Black Magic Rallye 1000 lights. -OME lift cw Dakar leafs -LR Upper control arms -Rosen duel DVD headrests -Nfab steps -leer canopy
    In the spring I put the truck up on a jack and usually just spray fluid film all over. I also do this in the fall.

Should I just keep doing this or

Should I get out a wire brush and paint the frame with ???? Not sure what. Please advise.

Thanks

2. Feb 16, 2014 at 8:38 PM
    drunktaco

drunktaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sage
    Southwest Va
    Icon ext travel C/O's, Total Chaos UCA's, King R/R shocks, All-Pro leaf pack, lights, RCI skid, Brute Force sliders, ect.
  3. Feb 17, 2014 at 8:40 AM
    InSight Retrofits

InSight Retrofits Closed

Member:
    I just got my truck in september, there is some inevitable rust in some places and I've washed the underside so much there isn't much fluid film left.

I plan to wire brush/sand any surface rust off, paint it with VHT epoxy chassis paint and then redo all the fluid film. I just want to keep up with it

4. Feb 21, 2014 at 2:50 PM
    Alderleet

Alderleet Ace of Spades

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Salty Hell
    Vehicle:
    '00 Acc Cab TRD 4x4
    Im about to wash the underside of my truck, and clean off the winters application of fluid film.

Its built up a nasty layer of grime (since its a sticky oily substance), but no rust.

Im applying Amsoil MP-HD protectant after I clean the gross fluid film goop off. It dries to a wax consistency, and repels road debris/grime. I drive in a dirty dusty environment, and keeping the suspension/components "clean" and protected, would be a nice change.

5. Feb 21, 2014 at 3:04 PM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    Here is how my truck looked like this summer before I took out the wire wheel.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/289178-07-frame-rust-pics-what-best-way-fix.html#post7246575

My plan was to spray fluid film after I was done painting, but ran out of time. I'm still planning to do that after the snow melts.

I brushed two coats of Rust Bullet and than sprayed RustCheck Rust Paint for a black finish. I intended to use Rust Bullet Black Shell as top coat, but I had literally hours before the first snow storm, and needed a quick way to finish this. Blackshell requires 24+ hours to cure. This is how it looks finished.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/289178-07-frame-rust-pics-what-best-way-fix-2.html#post7665416

Four months after, I did not notice a spot of rust coming through, except on my hitch. The reason forthat is that I wire wheeled the hitch, but ran out of RustBullet paint and time to finish the hitch properly, so I just sprayed it with RustCheck Rust Paint knowing I will most likely have to redo it in the spring. Every inch of the frame painted with Rust Bullet however shows no signs of rust so far.

Anyway, hope that helps some. I still have a quart of unopened BlackShell paint sitting in my basement.

Products Discussed in

To Top