1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Springish Type Noise When Going From Park to Drive Steering Column

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by lilyota12, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Nov 16, 2017 at 4:14 AM
    lilyota12

lilyota12 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Shredona
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma DCSB 4.0 TRD Off-Road
    See Build Thread
    So every time I go from Park or Park-Reverse to Drive I get a weird nose coming from the steering column area (i think). The first few times I literally thought it was my keys rattling. But it makes the noise every single time. It sounds like a spring sorta, but I've also had it "freak" out a few times and a couple dash lights pop on and the spring noise keeps going and then ~5 secs later all back to normal. The few times the spring has "freaked" out and tripped the lights is what's scaring me. It also feels like it is in a limp mode for those 5 secs when it does freak out too.
    Any Ideas?

2. Nov 16, 2017 at 7:37 AM
    lilyota12

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Shredona
    Vehicle:
    See Build Thread
    Any ideas...anyone? The spring noise or whatever noise is heard when going from park to drive after accelerating (like 2 secs later). Only lasts 1.5 secs or so, unless it "freaks" out and goes into a hyperloop :(

3. Nov 16, 2017 at 8:09 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    stop putting it into D when still rolling backwards..... its the anti roll back function thats going off (thats the only thing that sounds like the noise you are describing). Come to a full stop between any reverse / drive shifts.

4. Nov 16, 2017 at 8:26 AM
    lilyota12

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Shredona
    Vehicle:
    See Build Thread
    Interesting...I thought it had something to do with the ABS system. But never heard or had a vehicle with anti rollback. And I'm pretty good about stopping fully before shifting to drive. I wish I could remember what lights on the dash lit up but it happens so fast I've never gotten a glimpse in time. I'll make sure I'm 100% stopped before and see if it resurfaces.

Thanks!

*Oh and the noise happens every time as soon as you start driving after going from park to drive once you start moving (>5mph). It's only "freaked" out and thrown lights/made more noise which didn't sound normal at all a couple times.

5. Nov 16, 2017 at 8:32 AM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    AHHHH i know the sound you are talking about, faint spring sound once as soon as you roll forward about 10 ft. Yeah its normal, my 2013 TRD OR 4x4 does it.

6. Nov 16, 2017 at 8:44 AM
    lilyota12

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Shredona
    Vehicle:
    See Build Thread
    Yea it's the couple times that it has "freaked" out that I'm worried about. Instead of the normal quick noise it kept repeating and some dash lights came on. But like I said it happens so fast I have yet to see which lights they were. And when it happens and you push the throttle it seems like it was missing a lot of power until a few secs. later it stopped, and I continued on my way. But since it has happened only a few times and it's so quick I don't really notice any other "symptoms".

7. Nov 16, 2017 at 10:43 AM
    nd4spdbh

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    Light on the dash was anti roll back probably. (Traction control activation light)

lilyota12[QUOTED][OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top