1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sprint Booster

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Jlemaster4, May 24, 2017.

1. May 26, 2017 at 12:07 PM
    stevotivo12

stevotivo12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport MT
    Front hellwig sway bar,All pro sway bar end links, Fox 2.5 Resi Coilovers and Shocks, Fox 2.5 Hydraulic Bumpstops, Budbuilt Traction bar, Total Chaos UCAs w/ heim joints, Icon AAL, AFE Power Intake with dynamic scoop, URD spec U, URD short shifter, Flossy weighted shift knob, michelin tires, black badges, black tailgate letters, black grill with custom Diaz Fab Devil horn yota logo, retrofit/morimoto HID conversion, red interior LED lights, Pioneer head unit, kenwood excelon door speakers, 2 10" pioneer subs,
    Oh boy going full retard on me I see. It most definitely uses a different map for the THROTTLE POSITION sensor, as in the sensor that is in the gas pedal, because thats what it does. That is the entire point of the whole product. If you watch the video demonstration they do, then you will see that the throttle opening follows a different map then the stock does, opening quicker in the middle of the pedal throw than it does at the beginning or the end, meaning it ramps the throttle up quicker during the middle of the pedal's throw. Im not sure I can put that in any more basic terms. If you do not see how this means that you have a mechanical advantage pushing the pedal then perhaps this analogy will help:
    Lets say you are chopping down a tree. You have two axes, both with 10 lb wedge shaped blades on top. One axe is 2 feet long. One axe is 2.5 feet long. Which axe is easier to chop with? You havent changed the weight involved, and you havent gotten significantly stronger as the axe user between tests, but I personally guarantee you that it will be easier in the long run to chop with the slightly longer axe. Thats how this product works for the pedal, its like pushing the pedal with your foot, or pushing the pedal down faster than your foot physically could, every single time you push the pedal. If you couldn't feel the difference between with and without the product then I don't feel uncomfortable calling your ability to drive into question as well.

CanadaToy likes this.
  2. May 26, 2017 at 12:08 PM
    stevotivo12

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    Front hellwig sway bar,All pro sway bar end links, Fox 2.5 Resi Coilovers and Shocks, Fox 2.5 Hydraulic Bumpstops, Budbuilt Traction bar, Total Chaos UCAs w/ heim joints, Icon AAL, AFE Power Intake with dynamic scoop, URD spec U, URD short shifter, Flossy weighted shift knob, michelin tires, black badges, black tailgate letters, black grill with custom Diaz Fab Devil horn yota logo, retrofit/morimoto HID conversion, red interior LED lights, Pioneer head unit, kenwood excelon door speakers, 2 10" pioneer subs,
    Its not ECU mapping, its the damn throttle position sensor, the product manipulates the OUTPUT from the throttle position sensor going INTO the ECU.

3. May 26, 2017 at 12:23 PM
    stevotivo12

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    What you just said means that you, at least on some level, already understand the benefit of the product and that arguments I am making. That benefit is essentially this: however fast you hammer the throttle open, it opens that fast plus the little bit extra that you can clearly see in the video demonstration. Thats all, but that little difference means that after every corner youre on the throttle that little bit quicker, every time you change gears and stomp on the gas youre at full throttle that little tiny bit quicker, every time you touch the gas pedal youre already going a little bit faster than you would have been otherwise. Its just that simple: a mechanical advantage, translated here into more aggressive throttle maps by manipulating the signal the throttle pedal sends to the ECU.

4. May 26, 2017 at 12:30 PM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    Not sure why you feel the need to be condescending. Maybe it is hard for you to admit you are wrong.

In my very first post I stated the SB makes the truck feel better. I agree it makes it easier to drive. It should have the shorter throw throttle from the factory as far as I am concerned. I know reading comprehension is hard. They have some good classes you can take to help though!

As far as "throttle position map for the throttle position sensor", there is no map. It is a simple voltage put into the ecu depending on how much you push the pedal. There is no computer making a calculation with a map until it gets in to the ecu. The ecu is where the map is. It does not modify this map. Do you want to say it creates a whole new map? Sure. That is exactly what I said earlier. It interupts a voltage and modifies it into another voltage. That is all. It is a voltage amplifier (yes I know it does not do it linearly).

As seen below, you earlier stated sprint booster uses a more aggressive map for the TPS. THAT IS THE ECU MAPPING. That is where the mapping happens!!! Again it doesnt change the mapping, it makes its own new mapping to the TPS signal. Yes I agree it manipulates the output from the TPS, that is exactly what I wrote multiple times. And somehow you argued with me on it and then said the same thing lol.

5. May 26, 2017 at 12:45 PM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    Not sure why you keep harping on this. Once again I never said the truck is not easier to drive with it.

The thing that you are missing is that you can make it open "that little bit extra" by pushing the pedal more. Your statement above is only true if you hold the pedal down at one position the whole time. The physical throttle plate does not move any faster.

You keep using the word faster and quicker which is I think what we are arguing. The proper term would be "sooner" as in 100% comes sooner in the pedal travel.

Even here below read what you wrote. You contradict yourself. You admit the device does not make the truck faster yet you state the throttle opens quicker and accelerates faster. This is where you are confused. THE THROTTLE DOES NOT OPEN ANY FASTER, ONLY OPENS WITH LESS THROTTLE INPUT. As you say, "I can not make this any simpler to understand"

6. May 26, 2017 at 1:08 PM
    Roll Tide

Roll Tide COO COO KACHOO

Member:
    First Name:
    Q
    Here and there. Sometimes.
    Vehicle:
    01 T4R
    Head unit. That's it.
    #shouldhavegottenafirstgen

Benzdriver81 likes this.
  7. May 26, 2017 at 1:11 PM
    CanadaToy

CanadaToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR Alpine
    TRD Pro grille & skid, OEM tonneau and roof racks
    Fully agree, it drives much better with the PC installed.

stevotivo12[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. May 26, 2017 at 1:13 PM
    stevotivo12

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    Not a contradiction in terms. The vehicle does ACCELERATE faster, again because the throttle ramping up sooner means that you go from no throttle during shifting to full throttle once the clutch is engaged slightly faster. The fact that Sprint booster gets the pedal further in it's travel sooner in the physical travel of the pedal creates a mechanical advantage over just pushing the pedal. No matter how quickly you push the pedal, Sprint booster adds a little more on top of that. You can keep saying "push the pedal harder" but no matter how hard you push one has an advantage over the other. Like in the tree chopping example, I'm not telling you to take the two foot axe and just swing harder with it and tell you you're not swinging hard enough, I'm trying to tell you it's easier to swing with the other axe. That's not intended to be condescending but you saying that I'm wrong initially is absolutely being condescending.

9. May 26, 2017 at 1:17 PM
    Roll Tide

Roll Tide COO COO KACHOO

Member:
    First Name:
    Q
    Vehicle:
    01 T4R
    Head unit. That's it.
    We need 1/4 mile track times.

Benzdriver81 and stevotivo12 like this.
  10. May 26, 2017 at 1:19 PM
    stevotivo12

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    My car club goes to the Piedmont drag strip every few months for their test and tune day. Next time we go I'll post 1/8 mile times happily. I already know that my truck is quicker than the last time I ran it but I'd be glad to post times after I prove it.

11. May 26, 2017 at 1:19 PM
    Roll Tide

Roll Tide COO COO KACHOO

Member:
    First Name:
    Q
    Vehicle:
    01 T4R
    Head unit. That's it.
    I'm going to throw this unbiased, unevaluated, uneducated assumption in the ring....

But, I'd go ahead and say whatever gain you make in "acceleration" is so small it wouldn't even register in a 1/4 mile time. Maybe not even in a 1/2 pass.

12. May 26, 2017 at 1:20 PM
    Roll Tide

Roll Tide COO COO KACHOO

Member:
    First Name:
    Q
    Vehicle:
    01 T4R
    Head unit. That's it.

It would be interesting to see. Before and after times. 3rd party driver....

13. May 26, 2017 at 1:20 PM
    Jlemaster4

Jlemaster4 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Grey TRD Sport
    K&N and Sprint Booster
    Makes the throttle much more responsive. Making acceleration quicker. It works

14. May 26, 2017 at 1:22 PM
    Roll Tide

Roll Tide COO COO KACHOO

Member:
    First Name:
    Q
    Vehicle:
    01 T4R
    Head unit. That's it.
    So, with acceleration quicker, that means the truck is "faster", no?

15. May 26, 2017 at 1:23 PM
    stevotivo12

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    And that seems to be the general consensus here, which I tend to disagree with based on my experience with my truck. I could be wrong but what I have posted here reflects what I have experienced myself driving my own truck, and makes sense of those experiences as best I can. Only the drag strip will tell if the advantages I speak of amount to a real world difference, but I'm happy to put my truck to the test and see.

16. May 26, 2017 at 1:23 PM
    CanadaToy

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR Alpine
    I disagree with you as well. Watch the vid of the sprintbooster opening the throttle faster. It the controllers trick the ECU into thinking you are pushing the throttle down faster, hence opening the throttle plate faster. How do you not get this?

17. May 26, 2017 at 1:24 PM
    stevotivo12

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    Not quite, faster in and of itself would mean higher top speed as I understand and am trying to communicate it. Faster (or quicker, they are interchangable as modifiers of the acceleration) acceleration means 0-60, or getting to speed after a corner or to pass another vehicle.

18. May 26, 2017 at 1:25 PM
    CanadaToy

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR Alpine
    It is faster to react from part to mid to full throttle. Full throttle from a stop it is no faster than stock. But if you are cruising and punch it, it will downshift much faster and accelerate faster. It makes the truck react quicker part-throttle.

19. May 26, 2017 at 1:26 PM
    Roll Tide

Roll Tide COO COO KACHOO

Member:
    First Name:
    Q
    Vehicle:
    01 T4R
    Head unit. That's it.
    With zero experience with the product, my initial thought is that it makes the throttle response more user friendly.

Would need actual performance numbers, multiple passes at a track with and without the product.

20. May 26, 2017 at 1:28 PM
    Jlemaster4

Jlemaster4 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Grey TRD Sport
    K&N and Sprint Booster
    I don't have any numbers. It feels quite a bit quicker. Think more along the lines of smoother off the line torque feel, and great passing ability. It improves the speed the throttle body opens compared to stock setting. Similar to a carburetor would open based on how hard and fast you push accelerator it doesn't take much for the truck to get moving. I'm seriously more impressed than I thought I would be.

Products Discussed in

To Top