1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sprint Booster

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Jlemaster4, May 24, 2017.

1. May 27, 2017 at 2:16 AM
    BlkTaco47

BlkTaco47 Unhinged

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black AT DCSB 4x4 TRD
    JL Audio C2690tx Speakers Alpine MRV-F300 JL Audio 10" Sub - Full length Ported Sub Box Kicker Tweeters BFG KO2's 265/70/17 Tint N-Fab Bars Husky WB Mats AVS Visors Console Divider Tacoma Tonneau Cover ALL PRO 1.5" wheel spacers aFe CAI w/ Dry filter TRD Wheels Custom Remote Starter TRD Pro Grille ROAV Dash Cam 3" RC Lift Turn-down exhaust pipe TRD PRO Shift Knob vF Tune
    lmao!! you new? so many threads here turn into the same
    argument with the same few ppl over and over again.

2. May 27, 2017 at 8:35 AM
    TWTaco

TWTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Have you ever had this product installed on you vehicle? So many times you here guys on here bashing a product they never tried for themselves! Same goes to guys like stevotivo12 he really likes the product but does he actually have it installed on his vehicle? Alot of members like to get feedback good or bad from guy's who actually have used the product! I definitely like to hear both the positive's and the negatives to help in my decision making on certain products! I am on undecided side on this product but then again i was on the ShiftSense Pro and it has turned out to be awesome and has changed my truck completely!

3. May 27, 2017 at 8:38 AM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    Yes I had it on both of my last tacomas, as well as my current car DD. Stevotivo has it on his current truck.

As I stated before, it definitely makes the vehicle feel different and easier to drive. That is my personal opinion. I just correct people saying it makes their vehicle faster because it does not.

4. May 27, 2017 at 8:45 AM
    TWTaco

TWTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    So if you have had it on 2 vehicles you must really like the product and recommend it as a product that helps improve the 3rd gens throttle responce and makes it" feel " like its doing more then it actually is?

5. May 27, 2017 at 10:17 AM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    Stuff
    I like it over all. It doesn't improve throttle response. It improves drivability. As far recommend it? Meh. If you have the money to blow sure. It's alot of money to spend on something that you can replicate with more skinny pedal. It's not for everyone. Yes I like it over all

TheCookieMonster likes this.
  6. May 28, 2017 at 9:20 AM
    CanadaToy

CanadaToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR Alpine
    TRD Pro grille & skid, OEM tonneau and roof racks
    i know what you are trying to say, but based on the feel of the truck with the SB/PC engaged, it most definitely makes the throttle open faster. I believe it ups the voltage to make ot think 1/4 throttle is really 1/2 throttle, forcing the ecu to open the throttle faster.

stevotivo12 likes this.
  7. May 28, 2017 at 9:54 AM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    Stuff
    You are confusing "faster" with "more". Yes SB/PC simply ups the voltage for a given throttle input you are correct. But that does not increase the speed at which the butterfly opens. It just makes the ECU think you are pushing more pedal than you really are. If you smash the pedal to the ground it still takes a moment for the plate to open. It is not instant. And the SB does not make that happen any faster.

The SB only tricks the ECU into thinking you pushed the pedal further.

8. May 28, 2017 at 10:39 AM
    stevotivo12

stevotivo12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport MT
    Front hellwig sway bar,All pro sway bar end links, Fox 2.5 Resi Coilovers and Shocks, Fox 2.5 Hydraulic Bumpstops, Budbuilt Traction bar, Total Chaos UCAs w/ heim joints, Icon AAL, AFE Power Intake with dynamic scoop, URD spec U, URD short shifter, Flossy weighted shift knob, michelin tires, black badges, black tailgate letters, black grill with custom Diaz Fab Devil horn yota logo, retrofit/morimoto HID conversion, red interior LED lights, Pioneer head unit, kenwood excelon door speakers, 2 10" pioneer subs,
    Okay I would just like to point out at this point that even if I am mistaken and it doesn't cut any lag time out before the butterfly starts to open, if it increases the voltage of a given throttle input that means it is opening it faster, If only by the percentage of how much it increases the throttle inputs. Sprint booster likes to throw around "50% quicker throttle response", so let's just say for a moment that all the device does is change a throttle input from 50% to 100%, that still means the TB is opening somewhat faster because a truck with SB only needs half a pedal push to be at full throttle whereas the stock throttle needs to be fully depressed, meaning that the time it takes to complete the rest of the pedal push is lost on every launch, gearshift, and corner exit. Might not sound like much but it adds up when it happens so regularly, which has been my point the whole time.

9. May 28, 2017 at 12:00 PM
    splitbolt

splitbolt Voodoo Witch Doctor

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OFFROAD DCSB MGM
    No dog in the fight...
    VSC off would probably have more of an effect on actual throttle mapping and plate control via the ECM.

10. May 28, 2017 at 12:14 PM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    Stuff
    Semantics plays a role here. You are correct in what you said absolutely. The problem is you can push that pedal way faster than it takes the butterfly to physically open. When we talk about fly by wire delay, this is what we are talking about. So this becomes a play on words. Does the throttle plate open faster? Not really. It opens MORE for a given amount of pedal input. SB calls this "quicker throttle response". Really it is "quicker throttle pedal response". If the throttle plate opened at an exact 1:1 ratio then yes the SB would cause faster acceleration. But because of the limited speed of that plate and the speed at which we are able to push the pedal we can match the SB.

I understand the point you are making and in a situation where we both push the pedal at the exact same speed and distance then what you said is true. But I can match the SB by pushing the throttle all the way to 100 faster than you push it to 50 and suddenly you spent 250 bucks on nothing. Obviously that would be an uncomfortable way to drive, which why the SB feels so great.

11. May 30, 2017 at 7:31 AM
    BallsDeep09

BallsDeep09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 DCSB TRDOR 6 spd.
    I've had the PC. Returned it. Does not remedy throttle lag or rev hang. Simply amplifies the signal your giving the skinny pedal. Not had to understand. I returned it because I felt like I had less control over the throttle. With the PC on it was more all or nothing while without it I can control the throttle more and if I want to have more power I push the pedal down accordingly. Just my .02

12. May 30, 2017 at 9:02 AM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    huge. a lot. massive. i mean, "yes". i like gentle use of the throttle for significant throttle response. i don't like having to mash and be rough with my devices. i can do everything now with a brush of the throttle except when i'm on the highway. this is how i like it.

CanadaToy likes this.
  13. May 30, 2017 at 10:46 AM
    ajsabra

ajsabra Fully locked 3rd gen

Member:
    Sin city
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma DCSB 4X4 Manual
    Front suspension : Extended travel Kings with Total Chaos UCAS Rear suspension : Deaver progressive AAL w/out overload & Kings Rims : SCS SR8 17" Tires : Bfg KO2s 285/70/R17 ARB Compressor ARB Lockers front and rear with 4.88 gears Nitro 4.88 Gears TRD Pro Grill, and fogs Headlight BHLM Rigid Radiance 32 stealth mounted.
    Hmm, gives me something to think about. Thanks for the response @St.Germain

14. Jun 17, 2017 at 1:25 PM
    Str8Dmass18

Str8Dmass18 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Magnetic Gray Tacoma SR5
    Adjustable King Coilovers and shocks, Camburg UCA’s, Deaver add-a-leaf, BAMF Grill, Method NV's, 285/70R17 FALKEN WILDPEAKS
    Just installed the Sprint Booster V2 on my 2016 Tacoma Sr5. Bought it cause the throttle response lag was pissing me off. Anyway, it took about 5 minutes to install. I first disconnected the negative cable from the battery and then plugged the SB in. I tried the first setting (green light) and really didn't feel too much of a difference. I then tried the sport mode (red light). Huge difference. Love the response. It's how the Tacoma should've come from the factory. Lag is gone and acceleration is better. It feels faster and that's all that matters. Don't really care what anyone says in regards to what it actually does.

veggtaco and Brostjoe like this.
  15. Jun 17, 2017 at 1:30 PM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    right on. i have the pedal commander, but i just got back from a wicked fun drive tossing the truck around like it can be when you have access to the power. i swear i cannot understand how many around here just make it a lifestyle to complain, never do anything about it, and jump on the criticism bandwagon for folks who love their solutions. welcome to TW i guess. anyway, HAVE SOME FUN THIS WEEKEND.

16. Jun 17, 2017 at 1:35 PM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    Stuff
    It doesn't get rid of throttle lag, but sure makes the throttle feel better.

17. Aug 4, 2017 at 2:43 PM
    Mmskeetz

Mmskeetz New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 grey Tacoma off road
    I believe all these things ( p.c., s.b. ) void your warranty

18. Aug 4, 2017 at 2:48 PM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    Stuff
    There is no such thing as a voided warranty.

19. Aug 10, 2017 at 5:26 PM
    ADVBedouin

ADVBedouin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central CA Coast
    Vehicle:
    '10 Preunner Acc Cab 2.7L 5spd
    2" CCM front spacers, secondary airfilter gone, OEM 16" alloys, Trailer hitch gone, Seat belt buzzer gone, Ignition key buzzer gone, shortened fact. antenna.
    +1 for the Sprint Booster & I'll buy one for my '10 2.7L 5spd prerunner asap. I had it on my '12 6spd Corvette for 3 yrs & 30k+ miles & it literally transformed the car's throttle response. It is pricey, but 100% worth it to eliminate the factory throttle delay, which is designed into to production cars/trucks to protect people from too-rapid throttle response...think bad drivers, snow, rain, mud, etc...I've been heel-toe shifting for decades & my taco can't rev match effectively bc of the factory throttle delay.

I did multiple track days w an S-B at Laguna Seca & Buttonwillow where lap times depend on crisp, perfect heel-toe rev-matched downshifts, blipping the throttlebody butterfly to react exactly to your foot pressure on the pedal, & this is where the S-B algorithms shine. It transforms the throttle response by eliminating the factory designed delay, even moving off more crisply/cleanly from a dead stop.

This ain't rocket surgery people, The SB works EXACTLY like the mfr. shows in the video below...exactly...& the 3 pages of idiotic pissing contest I just had to read through was F$%&G pathetic...people come here for pertinent info from user's experiences regarding effective products...not pissing contests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XVCYDNcwwY

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Imphedup likes this.
  20. Aug 10, 2017 at 6:32 PM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    Stuff
    LOL dude no. Throttle response exits because that is a side effect of throttle by wire systems. There is a motor that opens the throttle instead of a cable that is directly attached to the pedal. That motor simply does not open that fast. It is not something that is "programmed" on purpose.

Second, all the unit does is make the car ecu think you are pushing the throttle more than you are. It effectively shortens the throw of the gas pedal. It does not reduce lag. It does not reprogram the cars ecu, nor does it make the butterfly open any faster.

Products Discussed in

To Top