1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sprint Booster

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016+)' started by Jlemaster4, May 24, 2017.

1. Aug 13, 2019 at 11:22 PM
    faultball

faultball Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    WHT2017SR5DCLB2WD
    Sprint Booster/Shift Sense Pro just installed...me like :thumbsup: Little pricey but feels like I got a new ride :yay:

sockmonkey and e6400ultra like this.
  2. Aug 14, 2019 at 5:00 AM
    sockmonkey

sockmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Benbrook, SW Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Dbl Cab Pre-Runner
    Volant Ram Air intake,URD MAF calibrator, Mr Marv 10" sub box, Alpine HU, Alpine Amp, fog light mod, scan gauge II, RAAMmat front and rear doors, Wet Okole seat covers, blacked out dash. blacked out front bumper. American Racing Mojave Teflons wrapped with 265/70/16 Pathfinder AT. NST Lite Pulleys
    def set it, temporarily, to stock in the rain

3. Aug 15, 2019 at 11:26 AM
    Dwntyme229

Dwntyme229 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Factory
    To my surprise, I just got Sprint Booster unit last night. I installed it in my truck per the directions and took it for a test spin. I can definitely tell there is a difference in the way the truck responds to the gas pedal, but it is like the gainman said. It seems to simply amplify the signal coming out of the pedal assembly. The lag in the throttle opening and producing a faster rpm ramp seems to still be under the control of the ECU.

I tested this by disabling it and stomping on the gas pedal and watching the tach on the dash. I got the typical response from my truck, about 3/4 second delay then the tach begins to climb. I did the exact same test with the SB in race mode 5 and got the same results. I then went for a drive several miles and played around with truck trying (wanting) to produce a faster response from the truck. The SB didn't seem to do anything that couldn't already do by just pressing the gas pedal harder.

On my way to work this morning I purposely put myself in the situation a few times where I wanted to overtake the car in front of me. This is the primary reason I purchased the SB. I could not get better results with the SB than I could before. There was still a delay before the truck would respond.

I did notice that was throwing more gravel in my driveway. I suppose that I would get used to this if had the thing a while. Again, I can throw gravel without the SB if wanted by simply pushing the gas pedal harder.

I thought that the SB was going to help my throttle response time because of the video with the demo gas pedal and throttle body. Sprint Booster does NOT do for your vehicle what that demo does. That demo is somehow rigged to be misleading. The throttle responsiveness is controlled from the ECU not directly from the signal of the gas pedal. The ECU takes into account speed, RPM, what gear you are in (Automatic), and probably several other variables to make the decision of how fast to open the throttle.

I am really embarrassed that I did not do my research before I coughed up the money for the SB. Now that I’ve looked into it a little bit I understand that the gas pedal is just two potentiometers that are mechanically tied together. Two separate three wire circuits. The second one is there just for redundancy. If they fail to give voltages that correspond with each other the ECU will kick the throttle back to idle until the problem is resolved.

One member made the comment that the SB might take a lag out that is created from the pedal itself. This does not make sense for a couple of reasons.

1. Why design a pedal with a delayed response that you are going to connect to an ECU??? Let the ECU create the delay so you can program it exactly how you want it.

2. If the SB is able to decrease this delay I must know how that is electronically possible. There are two simple voltage feedback signals coming from the pedal. If there is a delay in these signals coming from the pedal how is it possible for the SB to “Predict” where your foot actually is on the pedal. Does it detect an acceleration in the pedal then purposely overshoot the voltage to try to anticipate where you are going with it. Is there a mini camera that looks at the actual position of your foot to send more voltage to the ECU?

Now that I’ve bashed the thing I have to put some positive feedback about the Sprint Booster.

1. On the setting Sport 3 I did enjoy driving a little better!!! I found the pedal response to be a little more intuitive. (This small improvement is not enough for me to pay $300 and keep a non-OEM piece of hardware wired to the electrical system of my truck) I think I will just practice how I drive my truck.

2. I can understand how a person with a manual transmission might get better results when running through the gears. If that person feels like the response is more intuitive (Or they have ankle flexibility problems). They might do a better job shifting.

3. It looks like it is well made.

4. Simple and intuitive controls.

5. They shipped it to me really fast (less than 2 days)

I am glad for the people that love the SB. Enjoyment while driving is not something that cannot be calculated or measured. It’s an opinion about how someone feels during the experience. In this case perception is 99% of the truth. The company is not ripping people off if the people are satisfied with the product.

Even though I've already decided to return the SB and get my money back (Wish me luck!!!) I will go ahead and drive with it for the rest of the weekend. If my opinion changes or have any new experiences with it I will post again.

407guy and mds08 like this.
  4. Aug 15, 2019 at 12:19 PM
    TimC

TimC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD Sport
    I was almost ready to order one judging by feedback from users..
    I figured it would remove the throttle lag but now I’m back on the fence.

5. Aug 15, 2019 at 3:23 PM
    Dwntyme229

Dwntyme229 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Factory
    The real reason for the lag is because of programming in the ECU. Faking out the signal from the gas pedal cannot get rid of it.
    I’m going to try to get a software update from the Toyota dealership.
    More to come.

407guy and TimC like this.
  6. Aug 15, 2019 at 4:06 PM
    407guy

407guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    407 area code
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR 4x4 DCSB Cement
    Excellent write-up Dwntyme229 regarding your experience with the product.

7. Aug 16, 2019 at 4:01 AM
    sockmonkey

sockmonkey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Benbrook, SW Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Dbl Cab Pre-Runner
    Volant Ram Air intake,URD MAF calibrator, Mr Marv 10" sub box, Alpine HU, Alpine Amp, fog light mod, scan gauge II, RAAMmat front and rear doors, Wet Okole seat covers, blacked out dash. blacked out front bumper. American Racing Mojave Teflons wrapped with 265/70/16 Pathfinder AT. NST Lite Pulleys
    my take....you only have to move you foot a fraction of the distance to get the response of "flooring it" (the larger the number the quicker to full).

blue = stock
    red = sprint booster
    (non-technical chart, lol)

so much so, that in any adverse road conditions i have do set it back to stock.

TimC likes this.
  8. Aug 16, 2019 at 4:33 AM
    MaTaco_4x4

MaTaco_4x4 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma Sport DCLB
    Drive by wire systems like the Taco have very few options for genuine response improvement, and all require changing how the ECU responds to inputs the way e.g., OVTune does.

This is like putting Ducati branded gel grips on a Harley motorcycle: it feels different and it's expensive, so one equates that to "it's better/faster". Pricey-placebo effect.

Double down and actually change the PID maps. That makes a genuine difference that's measurable on a dyno or track.

But if quick/fast is what you really want, why are you driving a pickup truck instead of a Ducati or Tesla S?

9. Aug 17, 2019 at 2:14 PM
    Austin09

Austin09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin tx
    Vehicle:
    2016 Barcelona Red TRD access can LB
    T-Rex grill with black bezel. Blacked out all the badges and added the Tacoma on the tail gate. The windows have been tinted to the darkest law will allow.
    My wife got me one for my birthday, if i don’t like it I’ll send it back, you have 30 days. I’ll post what i find out in about a week

TimC and e6400ultra like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top