1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Squeaking AC compressor.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bobwilson1977, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Sep 15, 2009 at 8:59 AM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    Over the past month or so I've noticed a gradual increase of a squeaking sound. After listening for awhile I am almost sure its the AC compressor. Sounds like there are some bad bearings( if these have them). I assume I would have to replace the whole damned thing. They are not cheap- as in $300 just for the unit.

So... first of all, can you replace the bearings in these, and second, I know nothing about AC systems thus I guess this job is going to be have to be left to the pros. I'm guessing this is going to cost me some major buckage.

On the other hand I rarely use the AC so I could just let it go till' she blows.

2. Sep 15, 2009 at 9:04 AM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    I thought the same thing. But the belts are all pretty tight. It definitely has a kind of mechanical sound to it. I also thought maybe one of the idler pulleys was bad.

3. Sep 15, 2009 at 11:43 AM
    2toys

2toys Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    01 Red Hot Double Taco
    If you have to break into the refrigeration system, and you are not an HVAC tech, I would recommend you find a tech or go to dealer. A lot of things can go wrong and make it even more expensive to fix.

If it's not something that you have to break into AC lines, (ie bearings, tensioner, clutch) then you should be ok.

Products Discussed in

To Top