1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Squeaky Leaf Springs

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by 423taco, Dec 23, 2016.

1. May 19, 2017 at 5:32 PM
    TRDOR2017

TRDOR2017 New Member

Member:
    +1. Another unhappy owner of a brand new creaky Tacoma.

I just bought a 2017 TRD Off Road access cab. The first time I drove it on a dirt road, the loud creaking began. Get in the truck. Creeeak. Lean forward to open the glove box. Creeeak. Step on the gas. Creeeak. Brakes. Creeeak. Get out of the truck. Creeeak. It's so noticeable, it turns heads. God forbid I actually camp in it next month as planned. Talk about "If this truck's a knockin'..."

I completely disagree with the people on this thread who say that this is a normal characteristic of leaf springs and that people shouldn't whine about it. That is absolute BS. A brand new truck that doesn't even have permanent plates yet should not sound worse than a rusty bed at an hourly-rate motel just because you drive it on a dirt road. It's specifically designed (or at least marketed) for off road. Whether you drive it on the highway or through mud is irrelevant. Both are appropriate uses of this vehicle. Leaf springs are not unique to the Tacoma, but they seem to have cornered the market on this problem. I know a lot of people who take their trucks on the dirt roads in mud season around here and not one of them has this problem. It's simply unacceptable.

I took mine to the dealer yesterday and the service rep said "There's nothing we can do, but we'll put it on the lift just to cover our butts." I spoke with the General Sales Manager and when I explained how unhappy I am about having this problem on an expensive, brand new vehicle that still has temp tags, an "OFF ROAD" one no less, he looked at my history and said, "Wow. You've owned 7 Toyotas. If this isn't a case of a customer who deserves a better answer from Toyota, I don't know what is." He then shared a story about someone who had a leaky sunroof on a new Toyota, and corporate said it was not appropriate use because he took it through a car wash. Another case of "inappropriate use" BS.

He is talking with corporate to see what he can do for me. Whether it's a buyback, or replacement leafs that solve the problem and don't void my warranty (which he is going to discuss with his spring rep and is amenable to doing at his expense if the guy says it's a viable solution), I will demand that they make this right and will not simply accept it.

Has anyone had success with aftermarket leafs?

I'll keep you posted...

48boot and Tunngavik like this.
  2. May 19, 2017 at 6:16 PM
    Scooby24

Scooby24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR 4X4
    Just clean the pads

The hammer likes this.
  3. May 19, 2017 at 6:17 PM
    smitty99

smitty99 I also bought a 4Runner

Member:
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    16 TRDORDCSB 4x4 A/T (loaded w/ JBL)
    6112s/5160s & 3-leaf AAL;ubolt flip kit;Superbumps
    Don't give up the good fight. Make Toyota make it right.

tcjacado likes this.
  4. May 19, 2017 at 6:29 PM
    the_dau

the_dau Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno TRD OR DCSB
    its not normal. get them to replace the leaf. mine's fixed for now

smitty99 likes this.
  5. May 19, 2017 at 7:38 PM
    Tacoma420

Tacoma420 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Forrest
    Placerville CA
    Vehicle:
    17 4x4 Tacoma Off Road
    Corporate told me its normal operation.

The hammer likes this.
  6. May 20, 2017 at 4:29 AM
    TRDOR2017

TRDOR2017 New Member

Member:
    I sprayed them out thoroughly and it stopped for a couple hours, until it dried. Just came right back. Plus, I shouldn't have to pressure wash my undercarriage every time I drive it. I keep it clean, especially after driving on muddy roads, but daily pressure washing that doesn't even help much isn't a solution.

7. May 20, 2017 at 4:33 AM
    TRDOR2017

TRDOR2017 New Member

Member:
    Did they replace the leafs with originals, or did you put aftermarket ones on? The service manager said "We could put new leafs on and it'll just come back." I'm inclined to believe that.

8. May 20, 2017 at 6:16 AM
    Scooby24

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR 4X4
    lol guys, guys, guys. Stop. These are leaf springs. Not rocket science. You don't need to replace leaf springs that squeak. Dirty pads don't equate to defective parts. New clean parts will run into the same problem when put through the same scenario. Roll up your nice clean white sleeves and do the minimum amount of DIY to fix it. Don't bother with Toyota.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL0xte8sqPA

9. May 20, 2017 at 8:43 AM
    The hammer

The hammer Who’s the Wrench?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tacoma SR5 4X4 DCLB TSS Pkg 17X8" BSW-Cooper DIscoverer AT3 4s P265/65/17
    Underworld Flex trifold, tinted, TRDPRO grill, TRDPRO shift knob, etc,etc
    Congrats for manning up and taking the bull by the horn instead of crying!
    But...Hmm...They may or may not find the culprit some day, however I've heard they're had at working on several leads.

[​IMG]

A TSB?? I would think they would have one by now since they've been using leafs since....Uh, nvm I can't figure out that far, I wasn't born yet, but squeaking noises have been known to come from the front body bushing too.

However, rear leaf noises are more common I would say and they come from any one of several pivot contact points. But if properly installed there should be no noise. Coil spring suspensions can make noise too but basically only at the two contact points, up/bottom and some makers have put rubber at both points to kill it. But for the ones that may not have it grease is your friend there no harm.

The trick is to check for damage to any bushing and replace if necessary, lube end bolts and tighten to specs with the normal weight that will be on the vehicle, not while its suspended as this will twist any rubber components and the noise will come back and that alone (without lube) should fix it.

Mine must have been assembled on a Wednesday because after 20+k miles, still no noise, on-road or dusty off-road trails.
    But if it was making noise, I'm not gonna bash Toyota, chit just happens this is a forum to seek help and advice from other members to find solutions when dealer options have run out, and not to be constantly be berating ppl or the vehicle. If that's you, just move on because in the end they've done nothing by crying.

images_ac11ac7d70d368e3ce9da1ec25a6d341d64b5edd.jpg

Hope that helps!
    Cheers!

10. May 20, 2017 at 9:21 AM
    Tunngavik

Tunngavik Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Access Cab 6 speed manual
    KC-HiLites Fog Lamps, Kicker speaker and tweeter upgrade, USB in center console, Power tailgate lock, Soundproofing, 32" lightbar
    Nothing new. It's been a problem since 2005. My 2010 did it, then it went in for recall to get the leafs replaced, that stopped it for about 5000 Km's and now its back. I suspect it will get worst over the summer.

Thanks Mike Sweers :thumbsup:

Having said that, I do have to say TacomaWorld is awesome. Looks like from the video above there might be a fix. I'm going to try it this week.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    smitty99 and The hammer like this.
  11. May 20, 2017 at 10:42 AM
    MOC221_

MOC221_ 3 pedal metal

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB Sport M/T Barcelona Red
    vF Tuned; ADM; Core SS
    Agreed, although the squeak coming from both sides of my truck is much louder than that in the video. After a good cleaning, I let them dry out (welcome back, squeak) and then hit the areas between the leafs with Rust Check (basically a rust inhibitor/lubricant similar to fluid film). Squeak immediately goes away. It sounds like a pain in the arse, but it really isn't. And as mentioned, new Toyota leafs will end up the same way. Is it a design flaw? Maybe. Meh.

Frank

12. May 20, 2017 at 12:40 PM
    smitty99

Member:
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    You can take the risk of trying to remedy these issues yourself or you can choose to hold Toyota accountable to fix the problems. Not everyone has the knowledge, skill, tools or time to start taking shit apart on their $35,000 vehicle nor should they have to. Raise Hell with Toyota, if the dealer doesn't help, call corporate open a case and try another dealer until you find someone who will listen. Raise Hell online in reviews, write letters, write emails, etc. You deserve to make as much stink as you want as far as I'm concerned. You're the consumer and deserve to get a working product free from defects or at least fixed. That's just the way it is.

13. May 20, 2017 at 12:49 PM
    Scooby24

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB OR 4X4
    If you're so uncomfortable with getting under your truck with a rag and some cleaner and some grease that you would go to those extents to hold Toyota accountable in a way that hasn't been done in more than 10 years since these problems have gone back at least that far....then more power to you. I like a little more control in my life and taking 5 minutes to fix a problem than do all that work. I feel like I'd be stressed the hell out being so helpless.

Woodrow F Call likes this.
  14. May 20, 2017 at 4:49 PM
    48boot

48boot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2016 Grey Tacoma TRD OR Access cab 4x4
    I had the same damn squeak (very loud) which surfaced after driving though some mud holes getting to my cabin. I mentioned it at my 5k service, but likely due to having washed the truck shortly before, they couldn't reproduce the squeak. Another trip to the cabin and the squeak came back. This time washing didn't fix the noise, so with the hope of not having to waste time going to the dealer, I tried spraying Marvel Mystery spray lube between the leafs. Now with almost 15K miles, no squeaks.

That said, we shouldn't have to find our own solutions to this issue. What worked for me might not work for others because there could be more than one problem causing the noise. If some of us can find our own solutions, why can't Toyota find a solution? It shouldn't be that difficult, we're not talking rocket science here and leaf springs have been around since when, the 19th century?

15. May 20, 2017 at 4:52 PM
    MagneticTaco4x4

MagneticTaco4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma
  16. May 20, 2017 at 5:05 PM
    Northern Taco

Northern Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tacoma trd off road premium 2023 tundra trd off road
    I'm really surprised and happy that my new springs on my 2nd gen are quiet. I am off road often as I work in the woods.

I know my 2012 Ram 1500 had coil springs in the rear and it rode like a Cadillac. My 4Runner also has coils and it's pretty off road capable, I'd say just as much as a Tacoma.

smitty99 likes this.
  17. May 25, 2017 at 8:00 AM
    smitty99

Member:
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    Yep... toyota keeping it cheap with rear leafs

18. Jun 12, 2017 at 8:00 AM
    PeteK

PeteK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Brockton, MA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Cement Truck
    My Amish inspired suspension on my $43k truck is squeaking now too. Did about 200 miles of off-road driving. Sounds like me pads need some cleaning.

Riding Dirty and smitty99 like this.
  19. Jun 12, 2017 at 8:16 AM
    smitty99

Member:
    Scottsdale
    Vehicle:
    :rofl:

20. Jun 12, 2017 at 9:06 AM
    tacoflavoredkisses1

tacoflavoredkisses1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 TRDOR DCSB (SOLD)
    There isn't a fix in that video. He just ID'd the plastic spacers are the culprit.

And "it looks like bad engineering, but I guess that's what you get at this price". You mean the $35-40k price? Wtf is that ridiculous excuse?

So, what, just take the spacers out? Replace them? Grease them up? What's the fix?

smitty99 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top