1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Squeaky leaf springs

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Austin Taco, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Jun 6, 2010 at 5:29 PM
    Austin Taco

Austin Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pflugerville, TX
    Vehicle:
    08, TRD Sport, double cab, long bed
    So how the hell do I fix a squeaky leaf spring? I have an 08 TRD Sport and I don't hear the noise while going down the road but when I get in or out of the truck it's rather annoying. I've cleaned them and they still make that damn noise.

Help please!!

2. Jun 6, 2010 at 5:31 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    First try power washing them really good. If that doesn't work, you need to disassemble them and clean each leaf individually then grease them.

3. Jun 6, 2010 at 5:53 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
  4. Jun 6, 2010 at 6:09 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    When the truck was new did it have grease on them ? No ? Why would you put grease on them ? It attracts dirt. I think I'd be using some kind of dry lube like this after there cleaned:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/drygraphite5200.php

Or do it old school and make you own. Get some really tough paint and mix in some graphite and paint it on or go buy yourself a can of this:

http://www.slipplate.com/

Already mixed.

Stick your hand in grease and then stick it in some sand and see what the problem with grease is. I think putting grease on it is a big mistake. I see some had success with grease but I will not be greasing mine if that ever happens to my truck. You guys are thinking dirt and rust can't fit in there.

5. Jun 6, 2010 at 6:10 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    That's certainly a good idea. :thumbsup:

MrZoggs likes this.
  6. Jun 6, 2010 at 7:03 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Definitely a good idea. Never thought of that.

7. Jun 6, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    nighthawk87

nighthawk87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I hate my squeeky leaf springs..... apparently there is a tsb that exists.

I had the dealer perform it the other day, but the squeek just came back! I seriously hate the squeek and am hesitant about taking them off and cleaning them because I have no idea how.

8. Jun 6, 2010 at 7:14 PM
    ironman_jon

ironman_jon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner Sport
    URD TCAI Wicked Flow 18" 2 10in alpine type r 1500 watt amp MB 72 matte black Custom Bumper Debadged Glassworks fenders McNeil bedsides Helix TB Spacer Intake Manifold Spacer Custom Roof Rack 5x 55w HID SK2 projectors 55w DDM 5k Bulbs Camburg Long Travel Fox Coilovers
    i have the same problem i took it to the dealership and they replaced some bolt silencer but it came back to be honest i think they need to come up with a solution for this problem i have a 09 and it sounds like a rusty bucket for the 70s very annoying

9. Jun 6, 2010 at 7:14 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    If you read my walk thru/ how to or what have you you'll see that you don't have to remove the leaf spring from the truck.

10. Jun 6, 2010 at 7:20 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    They probably changed the pads so if you don't want to take them apart then find a spray can of graphite spray and try to get it to work into the cracks. You can jam a big assed screw driver in them to pry them apart a bit. That link above shows how to get them somewhat appart with a screwdriver. Try to clean up any rust you see if you can get them to spread then coat them up. The old school way of fixing this was use graphite paint. Really it works. You can use epoxy paint if you can find a supply of graphite to mix in. You have to put in lots about at least one quarter by volume. I'm not sure of the ratio cause now i can't find the link. Slipplate is premixed but I don't know how tough the paint is.

11. Jun 6, 2010 at 7:29 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    my suspension just started squeeking like a bitch, I think it's the leaves. I need to clean them and hit them with some dry lube i'm thinking.

12. Sep 6, 2011 at 11:11 PM
    garys05tacoma4x4

garys05tacoma4x4 OneLife

Member:
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    05TRDSportLB4x4
    Synthetic oil/lubes used throughout. NGK Iridium Lazer 100K spark plugs. Rear differential breather extension modification. Toyota front skid plate, roof rack, bed mat, chrome exhaust exhaust. Runs like new!
    Reply to your question: Just posted an issue to your problem. Look under my post. My screen name: garys05tacoma4x4
    Let me know how it works out for you. Good luck!

13. Sep 6, 2011 at 11:13 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    wut

14. Sep 6, 2011 at 11:16 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    the very best way to solve squeaky leaf springs that i have found so far is to take used diff oil in one of the quart "squirt bottles" and dump about 1/2 qt thoughout each pack. squeak free for about 18 months now

15. Sep 6, 2011 at 11:17 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

I spray them out with the power washer and spray motorcycle chain lube in there .

16. Sep 6, 2011 at 11:19 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    ive used white lithium grease, dry lube, chain lube, chain wax, and nothing has worked as good as used synthetic diff oil

17. Sep 6, 2011 at 11:28 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    I have Dakars and haven't had an issue besides at the front wrap which I solved with a couple pieces of EPDM pond liner , the flat leaves are usually fine , if they squeak it's cause they have silt in between them , I just power wash them and they are usually fine .

I'll try the diff oil if I get a reocurring problem .

Like the hooker said to the leper " Thanks for the tip "

18. Sep 8, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    garys05tacoma4x4

garys05tacoma4x4 OneLife

Member:
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    05TRDSportLB4x4
    Synthetic oil/lubes used throughout. NGK Iridium Lazer 100K spark plugs. Rear differential breather extension modification. Toyota front skid plate, roof rack, bed mat, chrome exhaust exhaust. Runs like new!
    Please read my detailed notes on how to PROPERLY FIX SQUEAKY LEAF SPRINGS IN 2ND GENERATION TACOMA'S under my screen name: garys05tacoma4x4 before polluting the environment like the individual here suggests. It is a very inexepensive fix to do it properly and I even list the Toyota part number.

19. Sep 8, 2011 at 11:33 AM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    you must be new to teh interwebz

1. im only polluting my garage floor
    2. rubber pads between the leafs (even upgraded dealer ones) dont last when you wheel your truck
    3. you have started 0 threads and posted 4 posts in a row in the other thread and trying to give someone direction to view a post you had written doesnt work well you be better off posting a link instead
    4. I have aftermarket AAL so toyota's pad wont work on my leaf pack

20. Sep 8, 2011 at 11:46 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Why don't you post a link shortcut to your original post ?

That would make life a lot easier for everyone trying to find it .

I have Dakars , your factory rubber nubs won't work

Products Discussed in

To Top