1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Squeal?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Logan89, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Dec 26, 2009 at 3:28 PM
    Logan89

Logan89 [OP] Member

Member:
    I was driving to work this morning and I stopped at a red light. When the light turned green, I started to accelerate and I heard this VERY LOUD squeal from the truck. It did it the rest of the day, whenever I accelerated. I'm not exactly sure where it was coming from. About 10 days ago, I took my truck in to get my ReadyLift installed at 4 wheel parts. My dad thinks maybe they didn't put it back together correctly and my brakes are rubbing against the wheels or something. I have no clue, but I do know ever since I got the lift installed my MPG went way down. I used to get over 400 miles per tank, but my last two after I got the lift installed went down to 340 miles per tank. Same tires.

What's the problem?

2. Dec 26, 2009 at 5:27 PM
    blackxpress

blackxpress Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Carlisle, OH
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5 2WD Xcab
    You sure it isn't just a belt squealing? If you have V-belts one of them might be loose. They're pretty easy to adjust if that's the case. My alternator belt started squealing the other day. I just needed to tighten it up a little. 12mm wrench (IIRC), loosen the lock nut, turn the adjuster a couple of turns, retighten the lock nut. Good as new. Takes all of about a minute and a half.

3. Dec 26, 2009 at 5:35 PM
    Logan89

Logan89 [OP] Member

Member:
    How can I tell if its loose? I looked under the hood and everything "looked" okay, but I'm no mechanic in any way..

4. Dec 26, 2009 at 5:48 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX or College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner V6 Black
    Viper Alarm, In Pro Car Wear L.E.D. Tail Lights, Fog Lights, ScanGuageII, AvidOffroad Light Bar, Ammo Box Mod, Tailgate Theft Prevention Mod, Satoshi Grill, Hella 500ff behind the grill, blendmount, Cruise Control Mod, Fog Light Mod, 5100's @1.75, Toytec TSB AAL 1.5".
    Sounds like a belt. It is mostlikly loose, but is it possible that moisture is causing the problem. Water on a belt can cause that noise.

5. Dec 26, 2009 at 9:46 PM
    dually

dually Low and slow

Member:
    Interstate underpass
    Vehicle:
    05 Indigo 4wd Longbed
    Not as many as the 98..
    physically touch each belt and make sure they are taught. A loose belt can cause squealing. Oh and where exactly is the sound coming from? Does it only happen when your truck is moving?

6. Dec 26, 2009 at 10:43 PM
    Logan89

Logan89 [OP] Member

Member:
    I checked one of the belts and it was in fact loose. Thanks for the help everyone.

7. Dec 30, 2009 at 10:14 AM
    Logan89

Logan89 [OP] Member

Member:
    Well I just got back from the service center and it wasn't the belt. There was a rock wedged in between the brake pad I guess and that was causing the squeal and grinding noises. I hope this was the cuase of my poor MPG as well. :(

8. Jan 2, 2010 at 1:40 AM
    4cyltacoma

4cyltacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Reagan
    Fresno, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma SR5 4Cyl 4x4
    AFE CAI, Black Housed Headlights, In Channel Window Visor, Bug Deflector, Black Side Step Tubes, Blacked out emblems
    me to. after i put on my body lift my mpg went down also...

To Top